MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Firefly Confident Of Getting Singapore Route

You referring to Restoran Zam Zam opposite Masjid Sultan?

Yes I like my drives up north... But KL's the limit dude.

Yup, that's the one.. Zam Zam. Is it still there? Sometime ago, I would tahpau the Murtabak and bring it back to KL, just to show the KL folks what a real Murtabak looks like! Very Delicious! Though not as fresh for my KL friends after 3hrs in the car. :p

Yup, that's the one.. Zam Zam. Is it still there? Sometime ago, I would tahpau the Murtabak and bring it back to KL, just to show the KL folks what a real Murtabak looks like! Very Delicious! Though not as fresh for my KL friends after 3hrs in the car. :p

Zam Zam is an institution man... I have been visting this stuffy and perpetually oily-floored coffee shop since I was 4 yrs old. I last ate there before xmas last year and it is still as good. Although now the upper floor has been air conditioned, it is negotiating the steep wooden stairs, walking about the oily floors downstairs (yes they are still after all these years!) and having your clothes smell like prata (you Malaysians call it canai) that brings back sweet memories.

If you are ever down here again, give me a buzz. Murtabak on me!

Edited by Ryan Soh

Interesting - I was eyeing the same flights too, and thus had to switch to MH from KUL.

I wondered if that reason is really valid as (1) MH flights are OK to KUA; (2) there will be no more scheduled morning flights to KUA on FY from 1Jun.

Maybe, the real reason was bad loads and the dropping of the morning flights from Monday?

I gathered that the VIP was from the state of Pahang and for some reason, they had to vacate the SZB airport and not the KUA airport as there was an event in SZB these past few days. My flight arrangement was rather strange;

1) We rebooked our flight for the 28th of May at 740pm instead of the original flight on the 29th of May 2009 for no fee due to the cancellation

2) Our flight on the 28th of May soon had a little drama whereby our flight was delayed to bad weather in Kertih where our aircraft was flying from.

As such, we had to wait for an hour or so before it landed. The crew quickly organized the bookings and we were ready for taxi, in fact the plane

had moved and headed for the runway when we made a roundabout turn and came back to the original parking only to find out that the weather in

KUA was bad and we could not land until further notice. We finally took off at 950pm after a short de-boarding from the aircraft and reboarding again.

3) Despite the one hour flight time stated, we only took about 20 minutes because we were in our taxi's in KUA at 1020pm.

4) The next day, on the same flight, my other colleagues flew into KUA and this time they had to change aircrafts due to the original aircraft having trouble

with its propellers. They arrived at about 1030pm as well. Both flights were either half full or 3/4 full and FY stated last week that their domestic runs are

profitable.

My bet on the new flight schedule is that the morning flight is now scrapped to cater to the needs of the new SIN flights from various points of the country. The KUA flight time is also revised to depart SZB in the afternoon at 210pm to make a stop in KUA before continuing its flight to SIN and back to KUA and then leaving KUA at 610pm to SZB. All these in short have been done due to the lack of aircrafts available, where the PEN to KUA, KBR and TGG flights face the same fate. Lets hope they reinstate these flights again soon.

:drinks:

Zam Zam is an institution man... I have been visting this stuffy and perpetually oily-floored coffee shop since I was 4 yrs old. I last ate there before xmas last year and it is still as good. Although now the upper floor has been air conditioned, it is negotiating the steep wooden stairs, walking about the oily floors downstairs (yes they are still after all these years!) and having your clothes smell like prata (you Malaysians call it canai) that brings back sweet memories.

If you are ever down here again, give me a buzz. Murtabak on me!

For sure and thanks, I've got to try out Firefly's service to Singapore, Murtabak seems like a good reason.

And this time,it is from SIN :good:

Firefly announces two more direct flights from S’pore

PETALING JAYA: Firefly has announced two new flights from Singapore, to Alor Setar and Kota Baru.

Angelina Fernandez, head of marketing and communications, said almost all visitors from Alor Setar and Kota Baru who travel to Singapore for business or leisure only travel via Penang or Kuala Lumpur, which is time consuming.

“These direct flights will give them the best alternative option to travel to Singapore,” she added.

She said Firefly will be working closely with the tourism boards of Malaysia and Singapore to exploit the new routes.

The maiden flights to Kota Baru and Alor Setar are scheduled for Oct 25, departing at 11am from the Singapore Budget Terminal at Changi.

The flights to Kota Baru are four times a week while Alor Setar flights are every other day.

For sure and thanks, I've got to try out Firefly's service to Singapore, Murtabak seems like a good reason.

Spoken like a true Malaysian...will any distance for food! Hahaha :drinks:

From Singapore Straits Times: http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNew...ory_396488.html

It just got easier to fly to Kuala Lumpur. From Wednesday , Malaysian low-cost airline Firefly will join six other Malaysian and Singapore carriers already flying the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route.

Firefly, a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), will head to Subang Airport near the Malaysian capital three times daily, and add one flight from July 15.

The route, once dominated by MAS and Singapore Airlines (SIA), has been progressively opened up to other players in recent times. Firefly's entry brings the tally of weekly flights between the two cities to more than 200.

Ms Angelina Fernandez, Firefly's head of marketing and communications, said bookings are 'going well', with 40 per cent of tickets for the first two weeks already sold. One trump card that Firefly has, she noted, is that its planes land in Subang, which is only a 15-minute drive from Kuala Lumpur city.

Flights by its rivals - MAS, AirAsia, SIA, SilkAir, Jetstar and Tiger Airways - end up in Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang or the low-cost terminal near the main airport.

It may take more than 40 minutes to reach the city from either venue, depending on the choice of transport.

Firefly uses the 72-seat turboprop ATR 72-500 aircraft to serve its network of many small towns that may not be viably served by bigger planes.

It is also launching flights from Singapore to other Malaysian towns such as Ipoh, Kuala Terengganu and Kuantan next month, and Malacca in September.

But in the hotly contested Singapore-Kuala Lumpur sector, is the market big enough for all?

Mr Matt Hobbs, Tiger's head of corporate communications, is confident of its chances, noting that the 'variety of choices now has encouraged many more to fly' rather than take buses.

Firefly Withdraws Melaka-Singapore Sector - Mohd Ali :sorry:

MELAKA, Aug 7(Bernama) -- Firefly, Malaysia's community airlines today aborted its plan to fly the Melaka-Singapore route from Batu Berendam Airport beginning September.

Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam said Firefly had withdrawn and put the blame on the state government for failure to promote the airlines' Melaka-Singapore sector.

"Firefly also expects a RM70 incentive from the state government on seats not sold," he told reporters after officiating the Matta Fair Melaka 2009 (MFM2009) in Bandar Hilir, here.

Mohd Ali said the RM70 incentive to be absorbed by the state government was unreasonable.

In April last year, Firefly had agreed to start its Melaka-Singapore route, four times a week using an ATR72 aircraft which could carry 72 passengers.

At the MFM2009 Mohd Ali said Melaka aimed to draw 7.4 million tourists this year and had received 3.24 million visitors as at May.

-- BERNAMA

Oh cancelled! What a surprise. I was actually quite optimistic on the route.

And what's this MYR 70 incentive for every unsold seats to be reimbursed to FY? Clever them to have such clause in placed inside the signed MoU.

What kind of business practice is this "RM70 incentive for unsold seat"? Is this how FY conduct its business with other states?

What kind of business practice is this "RM70 incentive for unsold seat"? Is this how FY conduct its business with other states?

I suspect it is the state gov which is prodding the airline to service the route - hence, the inclusion of a subsidy ala MASWings. FY probably did not think it was commercially viable in the first place sans subsidies.

OR, the sand has shifted given much tougher ops environment for the MAS Group...just look at their recently announced results. Revenue down big time, yields declined significantly, cash position deteriorating (despite misleading headlines.)

• Like 1

Well they have deferred delivery of 3 ATR-72s - so they will be operating with 7 aircraft until next year. Maybe there are also operational issues with the ATRs and the despatch rate is not as high as originally thought.

IPOH, March 24 (Bernama) -- FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd (Firefly) is proposing to increase its flight frequency to twice daily for the Ipoh-Singapore from one daily flight currently.

Managing Director of Firefly, Datuk Eddie Leong said the proposal was based on the high demand for the route which records a 90 per cent take-up each flight.

"Prior to this, Firefly had followed the World Travel Mart in London and had been at the ITB in Berlin recently and we saw a lot of interest for the Ipoh-Singapore route and now they are aware of this direct link between Singapore and Ipoh. Many European companies offer flights to Singapore such as KLM, Air France and British Airways," he told reporters here on Wednesday.

He said Firefly was also scheduled to receive three more ATR72-500 aircraft costing US$18 million each at the end of this year and this will further support the company's plan to expand its network and increase passenger number.

Earlier, Leong represented Firefly in signing a strategic partnership agreement with the state government of Perak. The state was represented by State Secretary Datuk Dr Abdul Rahman Hashim. Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir witnessed the signing held at the Menteri Besar office here today.

The partnership is aimed at giving focus to enabling international flights between the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport (LTSAS) in Ipoh with Singapore's Changi International Airport.

It is also aimed at promoting Perak as a major tourist destination and encouraging new investments and business expansion to drive Perak's economic growth.

The state government will allocate RM2.4 million for the partnership with Firefly to market and promote the state's tourism sector in the first year and another RM1.8 million in the second year. Among others, the allocation will cover advertising and promotional campaigns.

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsbusiness.php?id=485036

Looks like FY is adding more flight to SIN;A competition for Silverfly,since they will be flying to XSP this Apr.

May the best airline win.

edit: deleted due to not recognizing the resp. topic regarding Silverfly ...

Edited by Juergen Witte

Sign in to follow this