MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Firefly Confident Of Getting Singapore Route

Next question will be, which terminal Firefly is going to land in SIN? perhaps the Budget terminal?

A mock booking shows airport tax SIN-SZB to be MYR40. This is pretty close at current ROE to the budget terminal tax (Service charge + Security Charge) of SGD15.

So, budget terminal it probably is.

A mock booking shows airport tax SIN-SZB to be MYR40. This is pretty close at current ROE to the budget terminal tax (Service charge + Security Charge) of SGD15.

So, budget terminal it probably is.

I am betting that you r right. I checked the airport tax for AirAsia's flights which fly into T1 Changi and the tax is RM70/SG28. So it can't be T1 (or T2 and definitely not T3)

Edited by Azri M.

When AK was allowed to fly KUL - SIN, SIN sent their TR and 3K. If FY is to fly SZB - SIN, does it mean another airline from SIN can fly to SZB as well?

When AK was allowed to fly KUL - SIN, SIN sent their TR and 3K. If FY is to fly SZB - SIN, does it mean another airline from SIN can fly to SZB as well?

There is no news about Singapore carriers reciprocating the service to SZB. I'm sure the rule that only propellers can land in SZB (which neither TR or 3K has), still stands. So I believe FY will be the sole player in this route for quite some time. Maybe in the future, Berjaya Air may decide to fly the route as well.

However, if Msian govment reverses the rule, expect AK will scream!

I think the trade off was the SQ can fly to other Malaysian destinations not served by MH like Ipoh.

That is one heck of a trade off :p

Like to see SQ try fly into IPH any time soon :)

I think the trade off was the SQ can fly to other Malaysian destinations not served by MH like Ipoh.

Not necessarily SQ but any Singapore designated airline.

IPH can't even take the A320, let alone the giant A333 or B772's that SQ use!

"Open Skies" should mean that approval for any flights that an airline wants to mount should be given. So Singapore is behaving correctly by approving the SZB-SIN flights as Firefly applied to operate flights to SIN. I think that Malaysia will similarly approve routes that any Singapore airline might apply for.

That is one heck of a trade off :p

Like to see SQ try fly into IPH any time soon :)

SIN - IPH? :shok:

Yeah, much like BKI - PER :p

Actually I was thinking why SIN - IPH? Sorry but what would any airlines get from this route? Last time I'd also asked about SIN - TWU but someone indicated to me that travelers from Singapore can go to Sipadan island via Tawau, but Ipoh?

IMHO Perth is different because Western Australia happens to be a preferred destination to have a tertiary education.

Actually I was thinking why SIN - IPH? Sorry but what would any airlines get from this route? Last time I'd also asked about SIN - TWU but someone indicated to me that travelers from Singapore can go to Sipadan island via Tawau, but Ipoh?

IMHO Perth is different because Western Australia happens to be a preferred destination to have a tertiary education.

SIN-IPH is good for foodie. Ayam garam, 'ang chow', "Ipoh mali talak sombong" chicken, to name a few. Well, the last one is inedible though... :lol:

Eh... wait wait... mana SIN-PEN route??... [where's SIN-PEN]

SIN-IPH is good for foodie. Ayam garam, 'ang chow', "Ipoh mali talak sombong" chicken, to name a few. Well, the last one is inedible though... :lol:

Eh... wait wait... mana SIN-PEN route??... [where's SIN-PEN]

Ang chow ?? What's that ??

Ipoh mali talak sombong sounds like someone's food blog.

AK and 3K just announced SIN-PEN.

OT-

Chinese Red Rice Wine. What I saw my collegue brought is nothing like watery wine. It's like fermented red colored rice.

http://homecookedfood.blogspot.com/2007/01...-rice-wine.html

Edited by Yusoff

And Silkair too, I think.

Come to think of it we pay quite a lot of taxes everyday. :(

I was just thinking, if Singapore airline was allowed into SZB, they would operate jet aircraft as they don't have a turboprop airline like Firefly. So, we may see only Firefly out of SZB for now. If jet aircraft is allowed then AirAsia would definitely make loadsa noise!

Firefly does include compulsory insurance. We cannot opt out...

O/T:

I'm quite sure that i've choose not to have insurance when i fly FY. I believe there's an option.

O/T:

I'm quite sure that i've choose not to have insurance when i fly FY. I believe there's an option.

Nope, it is included in the taxes, admin fees calculation. No choice...

Nope, it is included in the taxes, admin fees calculation. No choice...

I'm pretty sure I can deselect the insurance option which is the Firefly Travel Protection :yahoo: , but the included one is RM5 insurance surcharge, which as flee pointed out "no choice" ..

Firefly wins permit to fly to Malacca

SINGAPORE, April 23 — Fancy a flight to Malacca? No sooner would you get on a jet than you would have to get off, you might say. But not with turbo-prop airline Firefly, which will soon ply the route.

The Malaysia Airlines budget carrier, which operates from Subang Airport, has also obtained permits to fly between Singapore and Ipoh, Kuantan, Penang and Kuala Terengganu.

Meanwhile, Singapore-based Jetstar Asia and Tiger Airways said yesterday that they will launch flights between Singapore and Langkawi and Penang this year.

“Jetstar Asia was given flying rights approval by the Air Traffic Rights Committee today to commence services to Penang and Langkawi in Malaysia,” Jetstar said in a statement.

The airline already operates between Singapore and KL, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu. The latest two routes are its 17th and 18th destinations.

Tiger Airways has also been given approval to start flights between Singapore and Langkawi and Penang. The Singapore Airlines subsidiary, like Jetstar, already flies to KL and East Malaysia.

AirAsia is getting in on the act, too.

The moves come after Singapore and Malaysia decided to fast-track air liberalisation, which started tentatively last year.

Firefly is the most interesting entrant so far. Its managing director Eddy Leong said the five-plane carrier will start the Subang-Singapore route in June, with 28 flights a week.

The use of Subang — the former international airport that is less than half an hour from KL — gives Firefly an advantage over other carriers that use KL International Airport, which is over an hour from KL at Sepang.

“We got approval today from the (Malaysian) Transport Ministry and we also have been approved as the designated airline to fly into Singapore,” Leong said yesterday.

Penang-Singapore services will start in June, followed by Terengganu-Singapore, Kuantan-Singapore and Ipoh-Singapore in July. The four-times weekly Malacca-Singapore hop will start in September.

Firefly, which was set up in April 2007 by MAS to counter AirAsia, operates five ATR 72-500 turbo-prop aircraft and expects to get two more planes this year. — Business Times Singapore

Four more months to go before I can fly from MKZ to SIN.. :yahoo:

I'm pretty sure I can deselect the insurance option which is the Firefly Travel Protection :yahoo: , but the included one is RM5 insurance surcharge, which as flee pointed out "no choice" ..

That RM5 insurance surcharge is not to be confused travel protection/ insurance for the pax. That is the airline insurance (extra) premium that was introduced post 9-11 and practically all airlines charge this.

Sign in to follow this