MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
MOHD RAMZAN FADZIL

KLIA CHANGE TO MAHATHIR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Found this...but sorry due i cannot find in english version..

"Source from UTUSAN MALAYSIA"

Sokong nama 'Mahathir' ganti KLIA

ALOR SETAR 24 Feb. - Ketua Menteri Melaka, Datuk Seri Mohd. Ali Rustam berkata, cadangan supaya Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuala Lumpur (KLIA) ditukar nama kepada Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Mahathir sebagai langkah yang cukup baik.

Bagaimanapun, kata beliau, terpulang kepada kerajaan mempertimbangkan cadangan tersebut yang mengambil sempena nama bekas Perdana Menteri, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad itu.

"Cadangan tukar nama baik, di Melaka pun kerajaan negeri memutuskan menukar nama Lapangan Terbang Batu Berendam kepada Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Melaka," katanya.

Beliau berkata demikian kepada pemberita selepas majlis pelancaran Buku Semangat Keris Melayu oleh Sultan Kedah, Tuanku Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah di sini hari ini.

Mohd. Ali mengulas laporan akhbar hari ini mengenai cadangan Majlis Bekas Wakil Rakyat Malaysia (Mubarak) supaya KLIA ditukar nama kepada Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Mahathir bagi menghargai sumbangan bakti Dr. Mahathir.

Wah!!

How About "Mahathir - Abdullah" International Airport? Like what we have here in Jakarta "Soekarno-Hatta" International ?? :db:

Oh plzzz...Don't!! I love it to be called as KLIA!!

Aiyohh... so kiss up kiss up one =@

What is wrong with the name KLIA by the way? Did the tourist pronounce Klee-ya instead of K-L-I-A for the need to change ? <_<

And I agree with Mokhzani :D

Edited by Azrin A

Actually, many personnel and department will get ''benefits $$$'' ** from the process of changing the road name etc.. Just like our

Jalan Alor that being changed to Jalan Kejora, and then changed back to Jalan Alor again..

*charges to make new sign board

*charges to re-edit the map etc... :pardon:

all i can say is.. wtF

No that's in Labu. This is MIA (as in missing in action).

The inflight announcement would be:-

"Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to Tun Dr. Mahathir International Airport....yada yada yada...."

ouuuchhhhh!

Edited by affendi osman

Dear Ali Rustam,

What is the point ? It is not like changing the name will attract more tourist or more airlines to come.

Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Melaka ?? Change it to Lapangan Terbang ANTARABANGSA Datuk Seri Mohd. Ali Rustam since you have given your sumbangan.

So the next thing we can have TunMahathirJaya, TunMahathirCyberJaya , TunMahathirTower what else ???

Sigh, I think I just joined the MWing bashing army.

In my opinion that all International Major airport should maintain the city name instead of Prime Minister or President name. Having a major airport with leader's name is more like a communist or dictator nation.

Look at US, LAX is the major gateway into the US, but the name maintain to Los Angeles International Airport, just the international terminal were named. Most of non-major airport in the US was named after the president.

I vote not to change the name.

Azuddin

In my opinion that all International Major airport should maintain the city name instead of Prime Minister or President name. Having a major airport with leader's name is more like a communist or dictator nation.

Azuddin

In Indonesia every major airport carries somebody's name. Except for PDG which uses 'Minangkabau'. No good, since no clue where the airport is located in.

Look at US, LAX is the major gateway into the US, but the name maintain to Los Angeles International Airport, just the international terminal were named. Most of non-major airport in the US was named after the president.

JFK :p

Anyway, I doubt Tun would buy this idea. He mentioned before that he do not want any project, infrastructure or public amenities to be named after him.

LAX = Tom Bradley International?

Or is it a name of a terminal?

Its just the name of the main international terminal. Not the name of the airport. :)

I also think Che Det will disagree with the idea too. Instead, he will probably responded by suggesting the government to use Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al Haj's name or simply refusing it by anecdotal remarks such as to wait until Changi is renamed Lee Kwan Yew International Airport or after an airport in Indonesia is named after the late President Suharto (both leaders were his counterparts during his reign). Having said that, I think Che Det would be the most appropriate person, if KUL is going to be named after someone because KUL is his brainchild.

I am actually in favour of a person's name for our airports. While living in Indonesia, I witness all the airports there are named after their warriors and national heroes and the names are used by the locals to refer to the airport, rather than addressing it as 'the airport' itself. Soekarno-Hatta (CGK), Adisudjipto (JOG), Supadio (PNK), Ngurah Rai (DPS), Juanda (SUB), Adisumarmo (SOC), Hussein Sastranegara (BDO), Achmad Yani (SRG), Hang Nadim (BTH), Sultan Iskandarmuda (BTJ), Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin (PLM), Sultan Syarif Kassim (PKU), Hasanuddin (UPG) and Sam Ratulangi (MDC) among others, are all national heroes and legends among Indonesians. These names were to honour all this heroes and also to familiarise them to the youngsters so that they are always aware of them amd their contributions and be proud of it.

While some airports in the country has already adopted a name, like Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah (SZB), Sultan Mahmud (TGG), Sultan Azlan Shah (IPH), Sultan Ismail Petra (KBR), Sultan Abdul Halim (AOR) and Sultan Haji Ahmad Syah (KUA), I am actually quite uncomfortable with these names because most of the Sultans are still in reign and their significance (contribution) is rather vague to quantify in this modern days.

IF we can give names to airports in Malaysia, I an im favour of these national heroes/legends' names for these several airports:

• Mahsuri for LGK
  • Merong Mahawangsa for AOR
  • Cik Siti Wan Kembang/Nik Muhammadiah for KBR
  • Dato Maharajalela for IPH
  • Mat Kilau for KUA
  • Parameswara/Hang Tuah/Hang Jebat for MKZ
  • Si Bongkok Tanjung Puteri/Tun Fatimah for JHB
  • Mat Salleh for BKI

A unique name like Suvarnabhumi (BKK) is great too, but I can't think of any 'classical' name which relates to Malaysia other than Gangga Negara (which is related to Perak and isn't that commercial to the ear too) hehe...

KLIA should remain as it is and maybe just name the Terminal like at LAX. If that was to happen, I would think the premier terminal in Malaysia should be named after Tunku Abdul Rahman as he is truly the father of this nation.

The thing is, people dont want to change from what they used to. Legacy. Me included.

Suvarnabhumi and JFK (and the rest) were being named the first day the airport appeared. People can accept it while it is new. But not like simply wanted to change to something else from what people used to. What was Ali Rustam thinking? Like giving Dato' title to someone and being used to called by it? Gila!

Usually a megaproject in Malaysia should be named after the royals, for example "Sultan Mizan International Airport"

But in the case of KLIA, I agree for it to be named "Tun Dr Mahathir International Airport"

No, I'm not a fan of Tun Dr M, but in this case, I believe he deserves it.

As for Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al Haj, we already have Putrajaya and Universiti Putra Malaysia

The thing is, people dont want to change from what they used to. Legacy. Me included.

Suvarnabhumi and JFK (and the rest) were being named the first day the airport appeared. People can accept it while it is new. But not like simply wanted to change to something else from what people used to. What was Ali Rustam thinking? Like giving Dato' title to someone and being used to called by it? Gila!

Dear friends, this guy is aiming for UMNO Deputy Presidency, and in automatically for BN, the Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia.

You see, the more the rakyats hate a particular UMNO leader, the more popular the person is in UMNO. That is UMNO's logic!

Many Malaysian may hate/despise Najib, but I was in the Malay heartland of Terengganu yesterday, a Felda village where Najib is hero/saviour to many.

Edited by Fitri Shukri