MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

AirAsia Aproached To Sponsor MU Jersey

February 21, 2009 21:01 PM

AirAsia Aproached To Sponsor MU Jersey

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 21 (Bernama) -- Low-cost-carrier AirAsia Bhd has been approached by Manchester United (MU) to sponsor the jersey of the soccer giants.

This was revealed by AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes in his blog on Wednesday.

"Manchester United have just approached me on whether AirAsia would be interested in becoming their shirt sponsor," said Tony in his blog.

He said having the players of the most famous soccer club in the world donning jerseys with the name and logo of a Malaysian-born global brand was something all Malaysians could be proud of.

He, however, did not state whether AirAsia would make the commitment and asked visitors to the blog to give their feedback.

As of today, 88 per cent of the visitors voiced their support.

MU had to find new sponsors for the jersey after insurance giant AIG (American International Group), who are faced with financial difficulties as a result of the world economic crisis, did not seek to renew the deal.

The four-year sponsorship contract with AIG due to expire in 2010 is reported to be worth US$100 million (RM360 million).

Earlier this year, MU was also reported to have invited India's Sahara Group to enter the sponsorship deal.

MU, who are now leading in the English Premier League, have also announced that Malaysia would be one of their destinations in the club's Asian tour this year.

Their match against a Malaysian selection is scheduled for July 26.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/news_lite.php?id=391409

'''' Currently, Manchester United is looking for a new sponsorship and they're targeting some companies (I guess) in Malaysia. One of them is TNB and it's up to them (TNB) to accept the offer or not. This prototype jersey was sent to my home by Richard Arnold (Director of Commercial, Manchester United Limited). '''' ---Quote from TF blog's comment area

View Photo

Oh, personelly i would love to see Air Asia sponsor Man U shirts as i am a supporter of both company.

But i dont think that it is nessesary as Air Asia had already sponsor referee 's shirt, and already had their advertisement done in the stadium

'''' Currently, Manchester United is looking for a new sponsorship and they're targeting some companies (I guess) in Malaysia. One of them is TNB and it's up to them (TNB) to accept the offer or not. This prototype jersey was sent to my home by Richard Arnold (Director of Commercial, Manchester United Limited). '''' ---Quote from TF blog's comment area

View Photo

I dont think TNB will get any benefit from that. . That is really burning the money.

Yay, finally i am now Malaysianwings Silver,

Edited by Jen Hau

Dato Tony Fernandes posted a shout out "Should AirAsia be at the Devil's chest?" in his Facebook a few days ago. Glad that it is finally being confirmed. Since AirAsia is no longer sponsoring the F1 Williams team this year, this new sponsorship is good for the brand especially since now D7 is serving (beginning 11 March 2009) London. This might piss off MH too (since MH is the sponsor of EPL in ESPN StarSport).

From selfish point of view(Man United Fan maaaa), it is a good idea !! :p

I do hope that design on the jersey where TF wore is not final as it looks pretty ugly to me.

in this economy era, i think sponsering F1 would still be the best(bias as im an F1 fan :p ).....it's sad that they are not planning to continue their williams parthnership <_<

AIG's deal costs them £19 million (almost RM100m!!!) a year!

Could Air Asia really afford that kind of money?

If they can, of course they should sponsor them, worldwide recognition.

its funny that our local company are considering/willing to sponsor team outside of Bolehland instead of sponsoring local sports body. if AK want to sponsor MU, well, its OK with me. but if TNB, well they better don't complaint that they're not making profit everytime they want to increase the electricity tariff and at the same time splashed out hundreds of million of RM to sponsor a football team hundreds of miles away from our shore.

Edited by Victor A.

its funny that our local company are considering/willing to sponsor team outside of Bolehland instead of sponsoring local sports body. if AK want to sponsor MU, well, its OK with me. but if TNB, well they better don't complaint that they're not making profit everytime they want to increase the electricity tariff and at the same time splashed out hundreds of million of RM to sponsor a football team hundreds of miles away from our shore.

I think the increase in electrical tariff is imminent.

Dato Tony Fernandes posted a shout out "Should AirAsia be at the Devil's chest?" in his Facebook a few days ago. Glad that it is finally being confirmed. Since AirAsia is no longer sponsoring the F1 Williams team this year, this new sponsorship is good for the brand especially since now D7 is serving (beginning 11 March 2009) London. This might piss off MH too (since MH is the sponsor of EPL in ESPN StarSport).

I think they should be pissed off already, since whenever an EPL game goes on, AirAsia's name is displayed on the refs...

I think the increase in electrical tariff is imminent.

Nope...a downward revision is expected next mth.

I think it is a good idea as AK needs to revitalise and enhance its visual presence in the UK (& by extension, globally, given the viewership of the EPL) in support of its LH ops. Adds massive amounts of credibility and doses of boosted reputation through brand association.

For Air Asia to sponsor Manchester United or any other team I don't mind.

But for TNB to sponsor MU or even any team outside Malaysia, be it in UK or Zimbabwe, it is totally rubbish. If TNB really goes ahead, I'm sure it will cause public uproar (and I hope it does). But what more can you say, TNB's CEO has just been voted 'CEO of the Year', must be head over heel that guy is!

1) I'm proud that MU approached AirAsia to become main sponsor on their jersey. It does show that a Malaysian company carries high marks. Who would thot that a name like AIG can be in trouble?? Anyhow, i just hope if Airasia does go ahead with the sponsorship, it would not jeopardize their financial stability in light of the global economic crisis we're going thru.

2) TNB - I really hope they have some sense. Pls don't consider sponsoring MU Jersey.

3) I think it's time to conserve cash but if want to invest, invest wisely.