MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Yusoff

Northwest B744 Hit Turbulence

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=41551188&opt=0

Accident: Northwest B744 near Tokyo on Feb 20th 2009, turbulence injures 43 passengers

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Feb 20th 2009 07:31Z, last updated Friday, Feb 20th 2009 17:03Z

A Northwest Airlines Boeing 747-400, registration N676NW performing flight NW-2 from Manila (Philippines) to Tokyo Narita (Japan) with 408 passengers and 14 crew, was in a holding near Chiba 40nm south of Narita about 30 minutes before landing with seatbelt signs turned on, when the airplane encountered severe turbulence and suddenly departed its assigned altitude of 15000 feet. A number of passengers, who had not fastened their seatbelts, were thrown out of their seats and hit the ceiling. The crew reported about 2-3 injuries via radio, but did not declare emergency. The landing 30 minutes later at 12:19 local (03:19Z) was safe. A total of 43 passengers were injured in the upset and were brought to hospitals. Initially reported two serious injuries turned out less severe. However, Japanese officials reported later, that one passenger received a serious injury (neck fracture).

Northwest Airlines said, no crew got injured in the accident.

I'd say, served them right. That's what you get if you are so stubborn to fasten your seltbelt...

And I love this guy's comment:

Idea

By Delta on Friday, Feb 20th 2009 17:03Z

Maybe an acutal video of people hitting the ceiling during a safety demo would help people understand that sometimes turbulance isn't a few bumps that spills your drink. Like smoking on a plane, they should have the same fine for people who ignore instructions.

I always wondered why they couldn't have the same technology in cars that alerts you when you don't have your seatbelt on. The crew could easily be alerted to those folks that ignore the signs.

Amazes me how people always unbuckle as soon as the sign goes off, is it the uncomfortable to wear?

If anyone ever lands on me after hitting a ceiling, they'll get another trip through the cabin from the end of my foot :)

:good:

Amazes me how people always unbuckle as soon as the sign goes off, is it the uncomfortable to wear?

I saw this occasion all the time. As for me, I had the seat belt buckled at all time, only release it when I am leaving my seat.

Sign in to follow this