MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jonathan Kong

AirAsia Hits Brunei At Last

AirAsia Hits Brunei At Last

Bandar Seri Begawan – AirAsia, the region’s first “ticketless,” no frills, low fare airline is poised to operate into Brunei in about a month, reliable civil aviation sources in Kuala Lumpur told the Weekend yesterday.

A senior Brunei Communications Ministry official confirmed that the ministry has written a letter on the matter. He however declined to elaborate.

AirAsia says that Brunei has given permission to operate into Bandar Seri Begawan and that it wishes to fly in twice a day direct from Kuala Lumpur.

Frequency of the flights is yet to be determined, it is understood but AirAsia sources confirmed that their government received a letter from Brunei authorities giving the go ahead.

Brunei had no choice to give AirAsia landing rights because under the bilateral air agreement between the sultanate and Malaysia there is room for scheduled flights by a Malaysian airline to operate flights between the two countries.

Using this treaty Malaysia has named AirAsia. With the low fare airline’s operations into Bandar Seri Begawan more travelers from Brunei are expected to visit Kuala Lumpur which could become the local’s favourate shopping destination.

Currently Kuala Lumpur bound travelers going by AirAsia cross over the border to Miri or Labuan to catch the connection. That could be a tedious and time consuming process.

But now with AirAsia flying direct to Bandar Seri Begawan it will make easier for the cost conscious Kuala Lumpur bound traveler.

As with the budget airline coming to Brunei the position of sultanate’s national carrier, Royal Brunei Airlines (RBA) comes into question and it may have to shift its strategy.

RBA operates daily flights to Kuala Lumpur out of Brunei. It will likely curtail its operations to the Malaysian capital and concentrate on other more profitable routes like its popular long haul flights which bring these days increasing number of tourists from Australia, New Zealand and Britaininto Brunei traveling enroute.

Another possibility is that of RBA establishing its own no frills airline about which there had been some talks in recent times.

Kuala Lumpur based AirAsia, which calls itself the ‘affordable airline’, was established in December 2001 with two planes flying the following month but it rapidly grew into a force to be reckoned with in the region.

It now has a fleet of 18 Boeing 737-300 and operates internationally to a number of destinations in Thailand, China, Singapore and the Philippines and various points in Malaysia carrying five million passengers since operations in January 2002.

source:http://www.brudirect.com/DailyInfo/News/Ar...0705/nite01.htm

Hopefully they can solve the on time problem :(

How could TF manage to squeeze in pax into KL-BWN sector when currently MAS only doing three times weekly on their own behalf??? Maybe I was wrong, but I think if this sector is lucrative MAS won't satisfy themselves with 3 times a week flight.

I wonder how RBA is going to deal with AK . Now already they send so small and kecik aircraft . and with AK flying to brunei . More people will fly AK and how is RBA going to deal with that

How could TF manage to squeeze in pax into KL-BWN sector when currently MAS only doing three times weekly on their own behalf??? Maybe I was wrong, but I think if this sector is lucrative MAS won't satisfy themselves with 3 times a week flight.

1579[/snapback]

The answer is in yields and cost factor.

At present, many brunei pax go through LBU and MYY to get on AK.

1654[/snapback]

Are there any flight from BRU to LBU or MYY? I know RB use to fly to MYY, but not anymore. LBU????? By express boat kah.

Guest Fendy
I wonder how RBA is going to deal with AK . Now already they send so small and kecik aircraft . and with AK flying to brunei . More people will fly AK and how is RBA going to deal with that

1586[/snapback]

thats an assumption. we dont know more people are going to fly AK. anyway, assuming the above is true, most probably BI will decrease frequency. :(

1654[/snapback]

Are there any flight from BRU to LBU or MYY? I know RB use to fly to MYY, but not anymore. LBU????? By express boat kah.

1715[/snapback]

I'm not sure about flight,

but many commute by road to/from Brunei to Miri

Miri to border about 26km, if not mistaken...

-- <_>

Norman,

no BI flights between BWN-MYY and BWN-LBU v.v. resp.

BI only operates into BKI and KUL in Malaysia ;)

Norman,

no BI flights between BWN-MYY and BWN-LBU v.v. resp.

BI only operates into BKI and KUL in Malaysia  ;)

1741[/snapback]

Thanks for the info Pieter...

I know BWN-LBU they use boats :lol:

Esp weekend...lots of them.. B)

--

I'm not sure about flight,

but many commute by road to/from Brunei to Miri

Miri to border about 26km, if not mistaken...

from Bandar Seri Begawan to Miri about ~120km

BSB to Limbang ~60-70km

expect Jam at the Immigration checkpoint at both sides.

from Bandar Seri Begawan to Miri about ~120km

BSB to Limbang ~60-70km

expect Jam at the Immigration checkpoint at both sides.

1757[/snapback]

yeah..from Miri to BSB..u have to go through Baram Bridge to cut short the time..and the toll cost you RM10..!! talk about ripping those bruneians..

12 months to the day, since John first posted AK moving in BWN they will commence direct flights there...

AK796 KUL (1515) - BWN (1735) Daily

AK797 BWN (1800) - KUL (2020) Daily

Don't be suprised when TF announcing the BWN-MYY route...Who knows?It's just my point of view,so no offences here :lol:

BR can still operate profitably into KUL..

There are many promotions year-round on Royal Brunei from Australia to KL (via BWN).. Brunei can still capture that market! Also, with an increasing numner of tourists travelling to Borneo from Australia, Royal Brunei can attempt to establish itself as Borneo's flagship carrier and bring tourists to Brunei (Miri), Kuching and of course Kota Kinabalu...

As for locals, AirAsia is the way to go!

Also, most of the "sikit atas" orang from Brunei might be prejudice against travelling on an LCC to KL for their weekly shopping excursions.. So RBA still got market what.. at least now they have sort of the right kind of fleet (in the A320, A319) to operate regional sectors out of BWN.

MH no longer flies to BWN, right (pardon the ignorance)?

They just add third weekly flight H Azmal :) Means they still flying :yahoo:

They just add third weekly flight H Azmal :) Means they still flying :yahoo:

Which was why I asked - I remember reading a remark on A.net about MAS stopping services to BWN. :p

Edited by H Azmal

Malaysia Air Asia Launches in Vietnam

The Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam (CAAV) has licensed Malaysia Air Asia to open its Kuala Lumpur-Hanoi route in October 2006.

In fact, Air Asia has been a familiar brand in Vietnam through Thai Air Asia which was permitted with two flights a week between Hanoi and Bangkok last year.

The growth rate of the Vietnam market is highly appreciated by many airlines. There are about 28 international airlines in operation in Vietnam for the time being.

In addition, Aeroflot Russian Airlines will re-open the Moscow-Hanoi route in July after a halt from August 2005.