MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
LeeTZ

Kuching Intl Airport (KCH - WBGG) Year 2009

as i know, 3 flights including 5212 were & still is stuck in KCH till this very second. no idea though what happened.

edit: 5215 & 5219

Edited by Sri Ramani K.

As of 0200hrs, 9M-AFF is still on runway. Yup front gear almost 90degrees ala jetblue incident. Last flight from KUL diverted to SBW, & the AK crews seems to be nightstopping here.

...and damn those overzealous bullis..halau people for no apparent reason :finger:

As of 0200hrs, 9M-AFF is still on runway. Yup front gear almost 90degrees ala jetblue incident. Last flight from KUL diverted to SBW, & the AK crews seems to be nightstopping here.

...and damn those overzealous bullis..halau people for no apparent reason :finger:

5219 just arrived a few minutes ago, 5215 n/s in sbw indeed!

no problem capt, around 2230hrs just now. mh2532 and mh2534 were diverted, to sbw i guess. Another AK was stuck in kch also, which was schedule to depart back to kul as ak5219.

happened much earlier 2130 or thereabouts. MAB reckoned can take them 2 hrs to clear runway but apparently this did not materialise. Sbw must have been overcrowded!!!

22 February 2009

AirAsia flight AK5212 from KUL stop on runway about 2hours ago, nearly vacate by CHARLIE. Passengers already disembarked from the aircraft and being move to terminal by bus. The engineers now are trying to move the aircraft away from the runway to the bay. Something wrong to the nose wheel because at the time I was at the scene the nose wheel was 90degrees turn.

:)

hehe....yes it's happen... i was on the plane...the aircraft delay for one hour at klia due to delay arrival on kota kinabalu... then reach klia, passenger get into the aircraft and the aircraft was blackoff due to the ground power unit was not very stable.... on the way to kuching everything when good still the aircraft touch down at KIA... the captain named captain waren ( i dont know my spelling is right or wrong) he did a nice and smooth touch down.... and before the aircraft stop fully, the whole cabin shake extremely.... we waiting for 1 hours then only got ground crew come to disembark us from the aircraft on the runway...whn i get down, i was shock to see the nose whell is 90 degree off the normal... i think is the nose wheel fail to align with the aircraft before touchdown.....

happened much earlier 2130 or thereabouts. MAB reckoned can take them 2 hrs to clear runway but apparently this did not materialise. Sbw must have been overcrowded!!!

No wonder around 10pm to midnight,i heard sound of aircrafts arriving at SBW airspace! Usually SBW airport is already closed down on that time.

Care to share what really happened yesterday???

Wow. Jackie.. lucky you hehehe... So did u manage to take any pics from your side? We all could only take rough shots from outside the fences only.. So you were meant to say that the aircraft landed as per normal then just before it came to exit the runway.. the sudden violent shaking of the plane happened?

These were some shots taken as the airplane was on runway and the charter bus coming to the aid to ferry passengers from runway to terminal

1024edDSC_8174.jpg

Some closer shots.. with nosewheel in sight

1024edDSC_8190.jpg

Long exposure shots, showing ground engineers trying to fix the towbar to the damage nosewheel

1024edDSC_8194.jpg

Can't see the action.. <_>

1024edDSC_8195.jpg

Not sure if this news is in the media mainstream.. :pardon: , but we did see a few brightsiders with bazooka lenses snapping with their flashes which i assume will not bear any good shots :rolleyes:

Iggy,thanks for the photo.Now i already know what actually happened at KCH yesterday night.

They even charter Biaramas bus to bring out the passengers!

Great job on covering the incident Iggy, Lee and Nick!

Good thing a major tragedy was adverted!

Hey Jackie...glad that you are ok...btw,how were the pax on the plane, did they shout, cried or anything like that...from what you said, it didnt seemed as though the crew knew the wheels were not aligned right???

It was only when the nose touched down that the shaking began right? Imagine if the crew had known about it, they would have all of you get into the "brace" position...if anything, it would be quite an experience exiting via the emergency slides....

From the pic, didnt seemed the tyre melted ala jetblue incident...good thing the wheel is mostly intact......

Keep us posted with any possible updates ok? Thanks!

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Wah Iggy, managed to get visa kah ? Untunglah :p

Thanks for keeping us informed visually - you'll notice there hasn't been any coverage in any media so far

Great job on covering the incident Iggy, Lee and Nick!

Good thing a major tragedy was adverted!

Hey Jackie...glad that you are ok...btw,how were the pax on the plane, did they shout, cried or anything like that...from what you said, it didnt seemed as though the crew knew the wheels were not aligned right???

It was only when the nose touched down that the shaking began right? Imagine if the crew had known about it, they would have all of you get into the "brace" position...if anything, it would be quite an experience exiting via the emergency slides....

From the pic, didnt seemed the tyre melted ala jetblue incident...good thing the wheel is mostly intact......

Keep us posted with any possible updates ok? Thanks!

Sorry, i didnt manage to take any picture...cause they are ground crew excort us to the bus... im not sure wat had happened to the aircraft nose wheel... i mean i not sure whether the aircraft nose wheel is not align with the aircraft head before touch down or after touch down, something had happened till the nose wheel 90 degrees off the aircraft nose...

Everything on the whole flight was normal till the nose wheel touch down.... the captain did a smooth landing at KIA...once the nose wheel touch the ground as the pilot trying to stop the aircraft, something maybe goes wrong to the aircraft...cause i can felt the pilot trying to jerk on the brake to stop the aircraft...the whole plane shake violently....lucky the aircraft come to a complete stop just after the threshold of 25... then the captain try to open throttle to move the aircraft but the aircraft is not moving...i dont know whether the captain know that the aircraft nose wheel is 90 degrees off at that time or not... cause he trying to open throttle and reverse thrust to move the aircraft...nothing can be done till the tow truck come... btw, the time when the whole plane shake violently non of the passenger shout...non of the passenger know wat had happened til they came down from the aircraft and see wat had happened....

I believe this has to do with mechanical fault of the nosewheel rather than human error. In any case the pilot did a good job in keeping the aircraft on the runway. However I wonder why it took so long for the passengers to be moved away from the aircraft.

Anybody know when KCH reopened?

haha....anything...thanks to captain waren who did a smooth landing at KIA...i bet no pax know wat had happened till they came down from the aircraft and see with their own eyes...Thumbs up for captain waren...

from wat i heard the announcement at the airport, there will be flight extimate landing at KIA at 12:05 morning... so is around closure for 1:30 to 2 hours only

I have a video for less than 30 seconds, recorded by friend before the police told them to go away ..

Question to airbus drivers, is there a indication to indicate a fault on the landing gears? I know there is a 3 green sign, and a ecam page showing 3 greens if all is successful, but i'm just wondering if there is an indication in this case, or in JetBlue's case a 90 degree rotated nose gear, could the pilot anticipate what is happening?

Also are the gears stowed in a 90 degrees rotated position?

Fantastic job by the crew by the way, the gear is still intact, better than JetBlue's hahaha. Does that mean AK's pilot are better? hehehehe

I believe this has to do with mechanical fault of the nosewheel rather than human error. In any case the pilot did a good job in keeping the aircraft on the runway. However I wonder why it took so long for the passengers to be moved away from the aircraft.

Anybody know when KCH reopened?

I believe airport was reopened at around 230am, from what i heard from the ground/tower frequency. It doesn't seem to me that the plane landed with the nose gear in 90 degree position as there is only one firetruck on standby , maybe they were more soon after landing but I also didn't see any foam sprayed on the nose wheel either.. So we assumed roughly that it only happened as the planed tried to vacate the active runway and the nose wheel suddenly snapped into that fatal 90 position hence causing the sudden violent shaking maybe?. Just our two half cents thoughts though. And also they did one nose wheel change before they manage to tow the plane back to bay 8. Captain, maybe you could ask around if you are in Kuching as the plane is still at bay 8 :D

I have a video for less than 30 seconds, recorded by friend before the police told them to go away ..

Bro, can we see it? hehehe...or call me and we arrange a time to see it? hehe

As expected, there was no coverage in the media whatsoever about this incident, at least in KL-based papers and website. Any coverage in Sarawak paper?

As expected, there was no coverage in the media whatsoever about this incident, at least in KL-based papers and website. Any coverage in Sarawak paper?

Got, but i only managed to find this news online in Eastern Times Capt, The Borneo Post also reported the news and got picture with it (ala Iggy picture) but it seem i could not find the news in the paper online site though :unknw:

Plane with ‘technical problem’ stops in middle of runway

air%20asia.JPG

The affected plane.

By Connie Chieng

Kuching: Eight Malaysia Airlines and Air Asia flights were disrupted last Sunday after an Air Asia aircraft stopped in the middle of the runway shortly after it landed at about 10.00 pm. None of the 154 passengers and crews was hurt in the incident.

Kuching International Airport Manager, Sunif Naiman, told Eastern Times that the incident was cause by a “technical problem”. “There was no emergency landing. It was just a technical problem. Everything was back to normal at 2.45 am yesterday,” he said.

However, a passenger onboard the ill-fated plane, which had taken off from Kuala Lumpur at 8.30 pm, claimed that the plane had a problem with one of its tyres. That was why it stopped shortly after landing, he said.

Although the incident did not cause a panic, the Fire and Rescue Services Department and the Sarawak General Hospital nonetheless rushed to the airport as a precautionary measure.

Sunif said four inbound flights and four outbound flights were unable to use the airport for more than four hours. He added that one MAS flight from Kuala Lumpur and an Air Asia flight from Singapore were scheduled to land at 10.15 pm and 10.30 pm respectively but they had to be diverted to Sibu.

Another two Air Asia flights from Kuala Lumpur were cancelled. He added that four outbound flights, two each from MAS and Air Asia, were delayed as a result.

http://www.easterntimes.com.my/index.php?n...s_content=10636

p/s.the picture looks like it was taken from the reporter car roof top..maybe she forgot to bring her tripod.. :p

It was covered in The Borneo Post (Sabah version) too.

Can suggest upload to Youtube?

Captain,It was covered in yesterday's Sin Chew Daily :rolleyes: