MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azri M.

Allocated seating finally comes to AirAsia!

few points to ponder

1. if i booked a seat, am i going to board first? then i no need to by express boarding

2. if i booked seat and no priority boarding, how to ensure no one will take my seat if i board with other pax? ( helo brader, this is my seat)

possible solution= tiger airways style ( all pax got assigned seat, to be given during checking in.. i've got seat 1A even hav to bought it online) BUT it defeat LCC business model

On 1, xpress boarding only if you buy the "hot seats".

On 2, presumably your boarding receipt will state your paid preferred non-hot-seat seat, and that should be good enough for you to get the crew to evict a stubborn squatter. But I think the usual "helo brader" with receipt in brader's face should suffice.

On 2, presumably your boarding receipt will state your paid preferred non-hot-seat seat, and that should be good enough for you to get the crew to evict a stubborn squatter. But I think the usual "helo brader" with receipt in brader's face should suffice.

As I understand it, even the no-preference no extra charged pax will be preassigned a seat at the check in desk. Assuming check in staff has full knowledge of who has paid extra for which seat, theoretically at least, 'brader' should know where to park him/her-self. Having said that, no system is entirely fool proof. So "hello brader" approach should be a handy back up system !

If you choose to pay RM25 "Hot Seat", you get to board first (Express Boarding) and you get to choose between Row1-5 (Board and disembark first, no extra legrooms) or 2 rows at the Emergency Exits (more leg rooms, disembark later, sometimes the "last", if pax disembark thru the front and rear, usually leaving you last).

But if you choose "Standard Seat "for RM5 you get to choose anywhere you want (minus the 7 rows stated earlier). But board together with those who didn't pick their seats.

Those who didn't pick their seat will be assigned at check-in with the remainder of the seats (most likely middle seats).

Assigned seating is for safety purpose, i.e- in an unlikely event of air crash (touch wood), it is easier to find the victims through assigned seating.

Also, by scanning the pax's boarding pass, they can now call out for remaining passengers by name, because each empty seats is assigned to a pax (with a name).

AK is smart (cunning even), never a win-win situation, if I pay RM25, I get to board 1st, but at the expense of legroom or the choice to be the last to disembark....so choose wisely....hahaha!

My 2 cents!

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

wouldnt this increase boarding time ? (and turn around time)

without preassigned seating passengers will more be more likely to just "sit down" than waste time looking for the seat and blocking people at the back.

agreed. with assigned seating on a full flight, it will take about 20 minutes for the passengers just to board the aircraft.

agreed. with assigned seating on a full flight, it will take about 20 minutes for the passengers just to board the aircraft.

Yea, that's one advantage of free seating policy, fast boarding, courtesy of the kiasu mindedness of Malaysians. BTW, how was the first day of the implementation Ramani? I would imagine lots of probs and lots of delayed take-offs.

Assigned seating is for safety purpose, i.e- in an unlikely event of air crash (touch wood), it is easier to find the victims through assigned seating.

Implying that AK flights before this was unsafe?

dont think this is a valid point for free seating - bec if one remembers during the formative yrs of the KUL-SIN MH/SQ Shuttle - it was also free seating - but its bec of the time taken n confusion and seats "reserved" by those who boarded early for their friends or relatives that caused delays and even quarrels amongst the pax.

ah... found it,

1. How can I pick a seat if I purchased my flight 1 hour before the scheduled time of departure?

Subject to availability, you may purchase Pick A Seat at the time of booking or a seat will be allocated upon check-in.

so assigned seat going to be. Tiger Airways style. very clearly AK trying to squeeze out their pax money...

Edited by Dr Chuo Hock Tieng

HA! good, i'm flying KCH-SBW on 16th. see what will happen

According to the newsletter, it starts 17 Feb, Dr. u may not getting it when u fly on the 16th.

http://www.airasia.com/nl/nl090205-others.htm

Pick A Seat allows you to choose the seats you want! If you already have a booking for travel from 17 Feb, please logon to Manage My Booking to select your favourite seat.

Just about to book a flight? Choose from Hot Seats or Standard Seats and enjoy the best seat onboard for flights from 17 February 2009 onwards.

Pick A Seat is a new service that allows you to pre-assign your seat. Choose between Hot Seats and Standard Seats to keep your travel party together. Hot Seats come with Xpress Boarding and are located on premium rows. You can refer below for the location of the Hot Seats onboard our Airbus A320.

For more info or to pick your favorite seat onboard, kindly logon to airasia.com.

Sign in to follow this