MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

Help

Guys, I need your input considering the dilemma that I'm having.

1. When do you think MH B747-400 passenger fleet will be retired? The A380 should arrive in 2011. I don't think the MH B744 pax fleet will survive for long after that. But it won't be the end of MH B744 as the cargo fleet will still be there.

2. When do you think MH will replace the A330 / B777 fleet? And what will it be replaced with? New A330, A350, B787, B777-300ER?

3. Which A330 routes will be taken over by the B738? The B737-8H6 will start to arrive beginning late 2010. Will the A330 take over some B777 routes then, whilst the B777 take over some B744 routes?

4. Which MH fleet would you rather be, B744 or A330, taking the long term future into account. (B777 is not an option)

Promotion round the corner eh Cap?

For variety - A330

For love - B744 :)

Capt, bus is a nice fleet (considering you get to come home almost every other day!!) On average you'll get about 2 to 4 night stops a month, not that many daily flights also. The best is definitely no more multiple sectors (2 to 3 sectors a day max, and the 3 sectors is always once in a blue moon) Lately the roster has been pretty loose. A wonderful aircraft to fly provided there's no turbulence. I would suggest for you to bid for the airbus :)

Hmmm....tough choice I must say...!!!

BTW, the midnight shuttle, no more spotting at work....heheh....

Honestly I like jumbo but since they might go full cargo ops, I'll choose A330 hoping that 1 day can go to A380 as well.

A380 is ugly btw....

Doing Questionnare? :blink:

Q1) My answer:744 still be there eventhough A380 arrives. In my opinion, due to hugefuel consumption of A380, 744will be a better option for MAS.

Q2) I think MH wont replace their aircraf lately since B738 & A380 is ordered. However, I would like to prefer 773 & 764^^

Q3) About A330, the aircraft operating in the fleet is about 11+ only. Major distance long routes wont be taken by 738 but short routes like HKG,SIN and BKK routes will be taken by 738.

Q4) Hmmm, both gt cons and pros. A330-long and wide aircraft. B744-two stairs and big. This may be interesting for those hu haven been double deck aircraft.

Not sure about it But jus my opinion. Haha :rofl:

1. Considering MH has 11 747-400's and ordered only 6 A380's, I think much will depend on when the other set of replacement fleet will arrive, hopefully 777-300ER.

2. I remember that IJ was going to announce the WB fleet replacement last year but delayed the decision to this year, so hopefully we will know soon enough. I'm guessing around March/April, when they announce the quarterly financial reports.

New A330 - Considering only 6 A380's were ordered, I don't think A330's will be enough for MH's network. They can't even make it to most parts of Europe, if I'm not mistaken.

A350 or B787 - Ordering any one of these will result in MH getting them sometime during 2020! At least thats what I read.

B777-300ER - Obviously I would hope MH order this. If you ask me, having a fleet of 10 or so will be a really good compliment to the A380's and the capacity would be covered, and probably a chance of frequency additions.

3. I have no idea.. haha :D

4. 747-400, simply because its a beautiful aircraft, and I think the A330 is ugly.

just my 2 cents Capt, since you have flown the B747 before, why don't you come back to the B747 fleet. its like...sirih pulang ke ganggang lah Capt. :p (anyone care to translate the last part). as for the A330 fleet, well, its just not your taste, very un-Canon like...hehehehe! :rofl:

For Q4. The A330 definitely, they have the best makan places during nightstops ( other than the local nighstops, that is ). The

lamb kebab/satay in PEK and PVG, the briyani and mandi rice in DXB, the authentic Indian food in DEL.... I'm feeling hungry now just typing about it.

I remember a thread similar to this being posted not too long ago, it's a speculation invitation thread. Here it is. http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index....showtopic=11107

If I may share my opinions:

A1. Like what I mentioned in the earlier thread, since MH has yet to order any widebody aircraft other than the 6 A380s, I think the B744s will remain in MH's active fleet for maybe a decade more, but probably not all 11 aircrafts will last till the end. With the 6 A380s, MH would probably just need 6 B744s (?) to support its current network. I based my answer on 2 key issues (1) MH still has yet to announce a widebody aircraft renewal plan and (2) the long waiting time to receive a newly ordered widebody aircrafts, which probably takes years.

A2. I think someone from MH could get a more reliable information on when MH will replace the A330/B777 fleet. I am sure if the decision has been made or even a feasibility study is being conducted, the news will leak and rumours will start to fly around from within MH's headquarters in Subang. I suggest Capt Radzi should start to be nice to those working in the relevant departments. MH is currently operating 3 A332, 11 A333 and 17 B772. I am predicting MH will replace this aircrafts with a combo fleet of 20 A350 and 20 B787 to have the best of both worlds. As for B77W, I am starting to feel that MH is not interested in this type or aircraft to replace its B744s. MH however, might take 2 more A380s to further strength the ultra wide body fleet. So I am betting for A380 replacing part of B744 and A350 & B787 replacing all A332, A333, B772 and part of B744.

A3. Unlike AirAsia which is ever expanding, MH seems static. There are 35 B738s purchased to replace 37 B734s. So, based on this facts, I think there will be very little A330 flights which will be covered by the B738s, other than seasonal capacity reduction or frequency addition. Confirmed A330 flights that will be replaced by the B738s:

- KUL-BLR-KUL

- KUL-DPS-KUL 1 daily A330 to 1 daily B738

- KUL-SGN-KUL the A332 flights

- KUL-KMG-KUL

- KUL-HYD-KUL

Apart from the recent inclusion of A333 to JED, I don't think there is any other B777 route that will be replaced by the A333, and the same goes for B777 replacing B744 routes, again other than seasonal capacity addition/reduction. Again, MH is very static in route and fleet management as far as I see. Even aircraft replacement of different type is a rare occurance.

A4. If I were to be in your shoe, I would rather be with the A330, simply because of the flexibility to switch to the A350 and the fact that the current A330 will likely to remain longer in MH's fleet as compared to the B744.

Anyhow, choose wisely!

4. 747-400, simply because its a beautiful aircraft, and I think the A330 is ugly.

i agreed too :clapping:

guys, seriously, wtf?

Capt, if I were you....( which I will someday! :p) I will opt for Airbus. Yoke to Stick! Airbus is easier to adapt since it has common rating for most narrow bodies and wide bodies. Many airlines find the Queen of the Skies is not economical to operate hence they will most likely to convert them to cargo flights.

L'airbus est l'avenir!

This could be related to someone posting in their Facebook :

....is having a dilemma. Shall I bite the bullet or spend the rest of my life flying rubber dog sheet out of Kuala Lumpur?

:D

Istikarah my friend.

Treat yourself to a smile... (or as much Liyari Briyani as your gut can take)

Fly Emirates :rolleyes:

hehe..

A330. xpening kepala.(no headache)

No headache? I'll ask you again in a few months....hehehe....

Capt, A330 la, got table, can use mini tripod! hehe...

BTW, why is it 777 out of question?

Edited by Khaled

BTW, why is it 777 out of question?

No vacancy lah.

Anyway, it looks very likely that I will be joining you later in the year...

I have credible information that B744 will be available sometime this year. However while it will be enjoyable for the next few years, after that it will be purely F-bay. Been there, done that and never again, thanks.

And the reason I'm asking about the B738 routes is that some Indian overnight routes might be taken over by them, therefore removing the very reason why I avoid the bus in the first place.

Edited by Radzi

Sorry can't offer much due to limited input on this subject. However, can share from the point of view of a passenger.

1. Although the B747 is way better looking than the A380, nothing beats flying on a new plane. The smell of "kapal baru" like the ATR72, the cleanliness, the seat recline that still work properly, etc. There is only so much you can do to refurbish an old plane. My last ride on a B747 was quite sometime ago but I can still remember the cramp economy class on a Chinese New Year's eve extra flight.

2. Both planes still relatively new and depends on load maybe can consider BKI - KUL, KCH - KUL or PEN - SIN, KUL - SIN shuttle on regular basis. Can slot in 1 B777 per day doing this shuttle and I beat most people will choose this flight before considering other flights. For immediate upgrade maybe can consider the B777-300ER but not sure if can fly nonstop to LHR. Currently we are using B747 for this route and I wonder how is the load. Same thing with KUL - SYD using B747. I'd prefer the A350XWB.

3. I hope not considering some of our friends switch from a narrow body to wide body. Now I know that few times I flew BKI - HKG and BKI - TPE the load was full to the brink, plus there is no "Temptation" on board. I wonder when can we see a A330 doing those routes. The B738 should be direct replacement for the B734.

4. A330. Considering the A330 is still coming out of the factory I'd think the future should be good.

Edited by waiping