MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jessnor Arif

KUL has a wrong Radar???

Tun Mahathir is replying to a comment on his blog about KLIA East by someone who claim he is involves in KLIA East construction.

He claim.

Because of the purchase of the wrong radar KLIA is handling only 35 aircrafts on its two runways when it should be handling 70. This causes delays morning, lunchtime and midnight

Is it true?

If it's true..

How bad is the congestion at KLIA at peak hours?

During peak hours is it all 35 aircraft movement in use?

Could the current radar actually the hindrance behind KUL lack of progress?

Is the 70 movements radar ideal for KUL current traffic? or this is just another "bigger is better" mentality?

How much it going to cost MAHB @ the Government to upgrade the Radar?

Please shed some light on this matter?

Interesting. Having Tun said that, and if it is true, now, who was responsible for the purchase of the radar because this is possibly (if not surely) 'something had passed under the table'.

Interesting. Having Tun said that, and if it is true, now, who was responsible for the purchase of the radar because this is possibly (if not surely) 'something had passed under the table'.

Its not Tun Mahathir whose said that... That's a claim by someone who commented on Tun's Blog in support of LABU Airport.

Apparently Tun M displeased with the idea of Labu. Can be seen in following entries

Labu Airport

Labu Airport Again

If you have a chance go to the bowels of KLIA ( bottom level ), you wouldn't be wrong if you think it's a whole different country down there.

If you have a chance go to the bowels of KLIA ( bottom level ), you wouldn't be wrong if you think it's a whole different country down there.

Seriously :blink::blink:?

I've seen countless of time foreigners 'berbaris' to get into the bus.

Foreign workers coming in, or either some are deported. All are on handcuffs squatting on the floor.

So the bags are actually sorted by aliens rather than some sophisticated machinery?

Reminds me of "Man In Black" movie......

As for the capacity being limited due to the radar, I don't think so. The controllers are doing a good job and doing takeoff or landings 2 minutes apart is at the limit of wake turbulence separation.

KLIA could've save a lot of money if they've installed the "taxi on the green" taxiway lighting system like the one used in SIN. Unfortunately they didn't.

Edited by Radzi

Regarding the air traffic capacity for KLIA...

my thought...

KLIA's minimum separation between aircraft = 2 min, (correct me pls, this is also world's standard?)

Thus, in an hour, ATC can handle 30 aircraft per runway,

with two runway and a simple mathematic, KLIA can handle 60 aircraft/hour...

(BTW just talked to the controllers... their capacity is 70/hour

only problem is they don't have enough traffic to meet that figure.. :pardon: )

Cheh... so it is not a radar problem but the failure of MAHB to lure more carriers to fly to KLIA lah! Alamak all that drama for nothing...

not sure about this...not surprise too...

peak hours....all airports in the world have this problem.

BUT...

why "mat saleh" can do and we don't.

we fly the same plane...

I heard this some 2 years ago when I grumbled to the guy manning the baggage wrapping service about my new bag seriously scratched the first time it passed through KLIA luggage system.

BTW, foreign labour is almost everywhere at MTB and LCC-T.... the cleaners, trolley handlers etc etc.....

As long as radar can display the aircraft position accurately, it will be ATC call to decide maximum number of landing/

departure.

Regarding the air traffic capacity for KLIA...

my thought...

KLIA's minimum separation between aircraft = 2 min, (correct me pls, this is also world's standard?)

Thus, in an hour, ATC can handle 30 aircraft per runway,

with two runway and a simple mathematic, KLIA can handle 60 aircraft/hour...

That 70 / hr is movement, which means takeoff and landings.

Takeoff is 2 minutes apart due to wake turbulence separation. Landings you can come as slose as 4 nm apart; that is with GS of about 150 kts. So how many landings per hour?

Takeoff is 2 minutes apart due to wake turbulence separation.

Wake turbulence can be scary - got one at BKK.

That 70 / hr is movement, which means takeoff and landings.

Takeoff is 2 minutes apart due to wake turbulence separation. Landings you can come as slose as 4 nm apart; that is with GS of about 150 kts. So how many landings per hour?

Errr.... 96 landings/hr @ max theoretically??? :huh:

then 70/hr seems a lot less... :pardon:

Tun Mahathir is replying to a comment on his blog about KLIA East by someone who claim he is involves in KLIA East construction.

He claim.

Is it true?

If it's true..

How bad is the congestion at KLIA at peak hours?

During peak hours is it all 35 aircraft movement in use?

Could the current radar actually the hindrance behind KUL lack of progress?

Is the 70 movements radar ideal for KUL current traffic? or this is just another "bigger is better" mentality?

How much it going to cost MAHB @ the Government to upgrade the Radar?

Please shed some light on this matter?

if that fella really is involved with KLIA East@Labu Labi project, then he sure has got some serious arithmetic mixed-up for him to come up with such statement. in the first place how did the know that KUL has a wrong radar? :wacko: or is he someone who has just got axed from supplying the radar system to KUL before?