MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
reyneo

Fireflyz at LCCT

FireFly likely to use Sepang LCCT

By Marina Emmanuel

Published: 2009/01/29

Firefly is likely to expand its scope of flights by using jets to fly out of the terminal in the event that AirAsia Bhd moves out

MALAYSIA Airlines (MAS) is contemplating using the low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) in Sepang, in the event that AirAsia Bhd moves out.

And the likely user of the budget terminal will be the national carrier's wholly-owned subsidiary, FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd.

Business Times has learnt that Firefly, which currently operates turbo-propeller planes from its Subang and Penang hubs, is likely to expand its scope of flights by using jets to fly out of LCCT.

"Firefly could use the Boeing 737-800 jets, which MAS is set to take delivery this year, to operate from LCCT," an aviation expert said.

"This will enable Firefly to fill in the gap left by AirAsia (if they move out), while providing convenience to passengers once Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd carries out plans to improve connectivity between the LCCT and the Kuala Lumpur International Airport terminal."

Firely is set to continue to operate from Subang's Terminal 3 with its ATR 72-500 turbo-prop planes, while it has the option to use the jets for routes which it cannot operate viably with the ATRs.

"With the jets, new regional routes like China, Vietnam, India, Thailand and Indonesia can be introduced from the LCCT," the source said.

However, these are to secondary airports in these countries and not to main airports now served by MAS.

FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd managing director Eddy Leong, when contacted, declined comment.

It is learnt that Firefly will remain profitable if it uses the 737-800 planes by offering a two-class service, which includes more premium and higher-yield passengers.

This compares to the current single-class service offered by AirAsia on its Airbus planes.

Besides AirAsia, the LCCT is currently used by other carriers like Cebu Pacific and Tiger Airways.

I'm not sure where Biz times gets its 'source' from, but since no names came up, I doubt its credibility somewhat...

In any case, if, and that is IF, this does happen, with the exception of the terminal use and names, if things at MH remain as they are, then I fail to see how different firefly will be from MAS...

they both serve food/drinks for free (MAS has Snake boxes and FY has Muffins and Juice)

they both have Y and J classes

they (currently, both) have no IFE (for short haul flights)

they (will) both use 737s... (MH may still end up with some 734s, if FY takes some of its 738)

Although if this does go through, it could allow MAS to 'upgrade' itself back up to become SQ/CX's standards while letting FY compete with AK.

This could be just speculation passed off as 'fact'. Must be a slow news day.

Edited by Alan B.

Seems like Garuda Citylink subsidiary by Garuda Indonesia and Jetstar subsidiary by Qantas. :D :D

Then,MH with FY! :good: :yahoo: :D

Great2 :good: :good:

Edited by Nabiel Haniff

Interesting news..

been heard from insider.but just light wind of rumors..

after reading this article..I guess wind is getting stronger diverting ATR/Boeing's to Lcct..

support with Labu-labi story...they might interested with the Old Lcct..

just my opinion... only Eddy Leong Knows.. :pardon:

I think Firefly should concentrate on the ATR 72 and the routes they know best ..MH should operate the B738 efficiently. It makes no different if both companies which is under the group are operating similar aircraft.

Firefly can order 737-800...and operated from LCCT..kick out Airasia to KLIA East..hehe :D

yeah.Kick them out from LCCT..

haha..

In my personal opinion,the passengers will use firefly more than airasia.

Malaysia will have a new contrast colour airlines :D

Edited by Nabiel Haniff

they (will) both use 737s... (MH may still end up with some 734s, if FY takes some of its 738)

Probably MH can exercise their 20 B738 option as part from MH deal with Boeing for FY.

If AK move out from KLIA and operates in "AK only Labu Airport" then FY move into KLIA. AK will lose a significant market shares plus a burden of managing an Airport.

If the KLIA LCCT is directly in front of MTB, This could be a death spell to the AK as FY with their interlining agreement with MH plus being at KLIA, FY can catch bigger international transiting passengers.

And yeah: If ERL is to be connected to KLIA LCCT I rather doubt it, it will prolonged to the East.

Edited by Jessnor Arif

An even better scenario would be if FY took all MH's narrowbodies and let MH concentrate solely on widebodies, for higher yielding destionations. Much like SQ and Silkair.

I don't see why MH would let Firefly use the new 738's though. At best I see FY taking MH's old 734 and perhaps reconfiguring it.

A lot of ifs for this assumption, so I don't expect to see this in the near future. Anyway it is not practical for FY to operate from the current LCCT; unlike AK, FY would want connectivity with the MH traffic so if they ever operate jets they will operate from the same terminal as MH.

This is just a warning by MAS/Firefly to TF and keeping him on his toes!! A sort of 'are you really sure you want to set-up Labu' message, because if you do, we are right in there behind you (and probably before the seats go cold!!).

hahahaha.....nice one. Just keep the pressure on TF. I think MH/FY system just like SQ/MI might work out well for them