MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Yusoff

LCCT on Fire!

From TheStar:

Published: Friday January 9, 2009 MYT 12:18:00 PM

LCCT fire prompts evacuation of passengers, staff

KUALA LUMPUR: A fire at LCCT, the budget airport terminal, has prompted the evacuation of all passengers and staff.

Firemen from Sepang have put out the blaze that is reported to have started about 11am, though witnesses say that smoke is still billowing.

It is believed that the fire broke out at a part of the terminal that is still under construction.

Airport authorities are unable to say when airport operations will resume.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=nation

This should speed up the moving out process to the Labu Airport.

And the fire will definitely spark conspiracy theories.

Edited by Fitri Shukri

"My staff responded quickly to evacuate the people despite the alarm not working".Said Tony..

Why the alarm not working?

Any sabotage?

"My staff responded quickly to evacuate the people despite the alarm not working".Said Tony..

Why the alarm not working?

Any sabotage?

Probably nothing this serious. It is probably just a few loose wires, maybe a wrong connection at the time of installation . . . but really nothing serious like sabotage.

KC Sim

Probably nothing this serious. It is probably just a few loose wires, maybe a wrong connection at the time of installation . . . but really nothing serious like sabotage.

KC Sim

Okay.

thanks for your kindly reply..

hehe

KC Sim

if that were the case, the contractor responsible is either going to jail or getting fined, or the company that built the LCCT might get their permits suspended or something. This would be a serious oversight on the contractors part! Not to over exaggerate this but, imagine if the fire was very serious and the LCCT was very big, some people might not have been aware of the fire until its too late...

Anyway, which part of the LCCT was on fire? Was it serious? Like permanent damage or anything critical that might make operations not able to go back to normal tomorrow? Pictures anyone?

Posted: 09 January 2009 1307 hrs

Fire at Malaysia's budget terminal triggers evacuation

KUALA LUMPUR - A fire broke out at Malaysia's budget airport terminal Friday, forcing the evacuation of all passengers and staff and disrupting flight operations, its main tenant AirAsia said.

AirAsia's chief executive officer Tony Fernandes said there were no casualties in the blaze, which started around 11.15am (0315 GMT) and was extinguished just over an hour later.

"AirAsia has efficient evacuation plans in place and I am very pleased at how our emergency and crisis team responded that we managed to get everything back to normal within one hour," he said in a statement.

AirAsia officials said the blaze occurred at a new section of the terminal currently under construction, but the fire department said it broke out at a duty-free store.

"It was a small fire... We scrambled two fire engines and 12 personnel," a fire department operations room spokesman told AFP. "We are investigating the cause."

AirAsia officials said the fire produced thick smoke but failed to trigger the fire alarms. Staff nevertheless shepherded all those in the terminal outside the building.

AirAsia said flights scheduled for Friday "might experience slight delays" but that it did not expect any cancellations.

An eyewitness at the scene, 31-year-old businessman Cham Ze Hoe, said he joined a large crowd of people standing outside the terminal when he arrived to catch his flight but was prevented from going inside.

"I was stuck in a bus outside the LCCT and I thought it was a traffic jam... I got down from the bus and walked towards the terminal," he told AFP.

"I could see smoke coming from the LCCT building. There were hundreds of people standing outside."

The LCCT, which opened in 2006, is located 20 kilometres from the capital's main facility, the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. It is used by AirAsia as well as Cebu Pacific and Tiger Airways.

AirAsia on Thursday unveiled plans to shift to its own 460-million-US-dollar airport outside Kuala Lumpur and abandon the overcrowded LCCT, which it has rapidly outgrown.

The warehouse-style terminal, built at a cost of 29.2 million US dollars, was designed to handle 10 million passengers a year.

- AFP/yb/ir

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp.../401296/1/.html

Anyway, which part of the LCCT was on fire?

LCCT now fully operational after fire but flights delayed (Update 2)

KUALA LUMPUR: Budget airport terminal LCCT is now fully operational.

Budget airline Air Asia’s head Datuk Tony Fernandes said that no flights were cancelled due to fire at the LCCT Friday morning but more than 20 flights would be delayed.

Meanwhile, Malaysia Airport Holdings Bhd Senior General Manager Datuk Azmi Murad said that even when the fire was being put out, only check-ins had been briefly halted.

He said the fire started in the storeroom of a duty free shop in the current international departure hall.

“The small fire started at about 11.15am and was caused by a spark from some of the ongoing works near there landing on a box in the storeroom.”

Azmi said it was normal procedure in the event of a fire to evacuate passengers from the airport and stop check-ins.

“The terminal was not closed. There was a lot of smoke but it was a small fire that was put out immediately,” he said, adding that operations fully resumed at 12.30pm.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=nation

Everyone, don't worry lah !

Can't be anything serious - not when the 'Latest' link to this piece of news has since dissapeared from theStar main page

Seriously, how relevant can news of this fire incident be when compared to news of Datuk Siti Nurhaliza's declared desire to procreate with Datuk K (link to this particular 'intention' has remained for best part of the day in said page) For the record, I'm of opinion that any intent for delibrate amalgation of genetic materials should best be privy only to the individuals involved, and need not be broadcasted to general public via mass media

But then, I digress somewhat :pardon:

Everyone, don't worry lah !

Can't be anything serious - not when the 'Latest' link to this piece of news has since dissapeared from theStar main page

Seriously, how relevant can news of this fire incident be when compared to news of Datuk Siti Nurhaliza's declared desire to procreate with Datuk K (link to this particular 'intention' has remained for best part of the day in said page) For the record, I'm of opinion that any intent for delibrate amalgation of genetic materials should best be privy only to the individuals involved, and need not be broadcasted to general public via mass media

But then, I digress somewhat :pardon:

BC Tam,

SEX sell. Fire not necessarily, unless it too involve sex!

Sorry OT.

Posted: 09 January 2009 1307 hrs

Fire at Malaysia's budget terminal triggers evacuation

The LCCT, which opened in 2006, is located 20 kilometres from the capital's main facility, the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. It is used by AirAsia as well as Cebu Pacific and Tiger Airways.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp.../401296/1/.html

Seriously?

my flight takeoff on schedule at 10.20am. only know when received sms from our friend in LCCT.

lucky to hear it was a minor incident......at least the firemans acted promptly :clapping: hope they fix the fire alarm soon....

Those who are in Facebook and have Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes as their 'buddy' must have seen the exclusive album on the day of the incident, with the big boss himself looking extremely upset with the fire, while being swarmed over by hundred of AirAsia customers armed with cameras to catch a glimpse of him.

Sign in to follow this