MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
T.Y. Bob LEE

Penang (WMKP/PEN) 2009

Just came back earlier on MI 358 ...Saw a Royal Brunei B767-300 parking remote near the control tower...anyone know why it is here

Sultan of Brunei attending the LIMA event. For sure at LGK no space for the B767 to park and AOR dont have enough space on tarmac to accommodate the B767 for while then PEN is the only place the Royal plane can park.

Sunday 29 November 2009

A sight no more. The 2nd last SQ flight out of PEN operated by 9V-SVL.

2009-11-29259V-SVL900.jpg

Monday 30 November 2009

A tearful sight of a tearful farewell. SQ ground staff saying goodbye to the last flight, SQ191/30NOV09 operated by 9V-SVH, as it was pushing back. This marks the end of yet another chapter in SQ's history, after having flown to PEN for 29 years and 4 months.

2009-11-30LastSQflightoutofPEN42.jpg

And with that, I bid farewell to all the friendly spotters I have met at PEN. I will be leaving on MI351/08DEC09, and I will remember fondly the 1 year 10 months I've spent in PEN, having photographed the many exotic subjects that had visited this little airport. I shall remain active on this forum, so do keep posting photos whenever you can!

Edited by T.Y. Bob LEE

Darn! I am glad I flew on SQ from PEN - SIN last October. Darn!

PEN was completely removed out in the distance chart and route map pages in the SilverKris magazine for December 2009. Very prompt update, and the magazine was out about a week earlier than 1 December 2009. I got my copy on 25 November 2009. PEN no more.

Just planning to fly SQ from PEN to SIN for Singapore Air Show next february... :mellow: :pardon:

Sorry, no more SQ flights. So you have to make do with MH/MI, or the low cost carriers!

Sad sad sad!!!!! Hope SQ will make a return when times a better.

I dont think SQ is planning to come back here as they are also looking for a buyer for their SQ ticketing office downtown besides Citibank office.....

I dont think SQ is planning to come back here as they are also looking for a buyer for their SQ ticketing office downtown besides Citibank office.....

Hey, with SQ's competitive pricing vs service quality, can always book a flight to one of their destination and fly to SIN using MI. I believe SQ is using MI to help them out with regional flights. We get a lot of advertisement on such services over here.

The office has been there very long since i could remember....

B-KMJ & B-LMJ.

These 2 Gulfstream G200 were seen parked at GA next to the Tower.

Who's the owner?

Finnair? Nope. But at 1900hrs, barely any lights plus was starting to get cloudy after 6pm.

But, before that, I was passing the airport and thinking about making a detour to the road next to general apron, during office hour eheheee.. :diablo: .

Hey, B-LMJ is still there. B-KMJ had left though.

P1030954_800.jpg

To my surprise, royal family is here. V8-BKH.

P1030953_800.jpg

P1030965_800.jpg

With 2 security guards. Later these dudes moved underneath the a/c.

If Bob was here in PEN, he would have this in full clean frame. Wish you were here....

MPL was there with returning Hajj group. So many cars and relatives at the airport making the MAB guys scattered everywhere. Thus making photo taking inconvenience. Too many obstacles to post full a/c photo.

P1030955_800.jpg

FYD is making a 'longer' stop.

P1030972_800.jpg

And 'Bo Locks' making a pass-by to LGK.

P1030967_800.jpg

With these, I conclude my contributions for the year 2009... See you next year. Happy New Year!

(ps: today - 31/12/09 - we have a 'Blue Moon')

If Bob was here in PEN, he would have this in full clean frame. Wish you were here....

With these, I conclude my contributions for the year 2009... See you next year. Happy New Year!

Wow! Yusoff, what a great way to end the year! Great catch of that Brunei A340 and MH 744 charter! Fabulous pictures. Keep 'em coming!

Happy New Year to all of you in Penang!

Good catch of the A340, Yusoff :clapping: Saw a Learjet parked at the GA Apron around 2030 on 22nd December but didn't manage to get its rego. RMAF F/A-18 movements were quite active early last week, saw a couple of them flying low over Tanjung Bungah & Penang bridge.