MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
T.Y. Bob LEE

Penang (WMKP/PEN) 2009

Anyone spotting in Penang tomorrow? WIll be doing Sq192.

Finally got turn around and sectors? Enjoy bro...

Reviving dead thread!

Guys, if my source is correct B-KPF will be nightstopping tonight and departing tomorrow morning at 0755(unless there is another greenish plane). Hopefully someone can get it. And the wait for it to be in KUL continues.

Edited by Walter Sim

Reviving dead thread!

Guys, if my source is correct B-KPF will be nightstopping tonight and departing tomorrow morning at 0755(unless there is another greenish plane). Hopefully someone can get it. And the wait for it to be in KUL continues.

If this is true, this is sure good news for PEN spotters. :good:

Set you alarm early tomorrow to catch her ! :yahoo:

Whoahoho... what a surprise to log into MW and see this thread alive again!

Yes, what a day! I was initially so bored with the traffic here that I decided to leave at around 6pm... thinking that CX was probably going to send in the usual stuff as well, but I don't know why I decided to u-turn and went back to continue.

So when this thing appeared from behind the trees, I was leaping with joy. Finally... finally finally finally... B-KPF operating CX693 from HKG arriving on runway 22.

2009-09-0760B-KPF800.jpg

And some other interesting shots from today...

2009-09-0719800.jpg

2009-09-0722800.jpg

Whoahoho... what a surprise to log into MW and see this thread alive again!

Yes, what a day! I was initially so bored with the traffic here that I decided to leave at around 6pm... thinking that CX was probably going to send in the usual stuff as well, but I don't know why I decided to u-turn and went back to continue.

So when this thing appeared from behind the trees, I was leaping with joy. Finally... finally finally finally... B-KPF operating CX693 from HKG arriving on runway 22.

Wow Bob, congrats ! You nailed her finally and in good light too. :clapping: :clapping:

What a beauty ! :good:

Since you have the landing shot, I guess you don't need to wake up early tomorrow for her. :p

Since you have the landing shot, I guess you don't need to wake up early tomorrow for her. :p

Oh I'm greedy... so the landing shot ain't enough... I'm still going to try waking up early to get the rotation shot! BTW, 9V-SRE Star Alliance is due to operate SQ192/191 tomorrow, if anyone's interested!

Oh I'm greedy... so the landing shot ain't enough... I'm still going to try waking up early to get the rotation shot! BTW, 9V-SRE Star Alliance is due to operate SQ192/191 tomorrow, if anyone's interested!

He he ! Another die hard spotter. :lol:

Special livery like this is really hard to pass :rolleyes: :p

And here's B-KPF departing PEN as CX692 for HKG. Pity the weather wasn't great, and here is the one and only shot I managed to get with the faintest ray of light reflecting off the fuselage.

2009-09-0818B-KPF800.jpg

Many thanks to all those who messaged me to inform me about her!

Fab: STD for CX692 is 0755h.

It was raining and the road especially the coastal highway was jammed. Arrived at 8, AWC already left :(

But... I got these instead.

8.32am. TG old cs.

TGHS-TEM800.jpg

Full frame with little space to crop, thus the 'off centre'.

8.44am. Moments later, the Kiwi is leaving.

RNZAF800.jpg

It was drizzling, with occasional lightning, hazy and I was already an hour later for work. Upon leaving, an RMAF fighter jet did 2 or 3 touch and go. Grrr.... :angry:

Edited by Yusoff

KPF: fabulous scheme on a fabulous aircraft ... :pardon:

I'll post it here as its probably most relevant to PEN spotters...

Many of you would be well aware that 3K will be taking delivery of 3 more A320's later in the year, however before that 3K is adding frequency on other routes. The new planes will be used to launch flights to Haikou and Phuket.

From Sept 24th...

Bangkok goes to three daily.

From Oct 1st...

Penang goes twice daily.

Of note that these additional flights will be ops by the JQ day stop a/c giving that aeroplane better utilisation, as we all know a plane can't make money while collecting dust. This is a similar agreement which sees 3K operating JQ114/115 (SIN-CGK-PER-CGK-PER)

Rotation is...

JQ109 PER (0015) - SIN (0535)

3K673 SIN (0700) - PEN (0825)

3K674 PEN (0905) - SIN (1030)

3K515 SIN (1110) - BKK (1220)

3K516 BKK (1305) - SIN (1620)

JQ110 SIN (1735) - PER (2310)

I'll post it here as its probably most relevant to PEN spotters...

Rotation is...

Thanks Liam... that means we'll be getting VH-registrations here in PEN? Fantastic news!!!! Can't wait to photograph the specials!

Rotation is...

Now we're talkin' :p

Leaving 0015 and back at 2310: excellent utilisation !!! :good:

Bob, sure does! Given the way a/c are swapped, it will be ops by the same aeroplane for a few days at a time. I'll try to remember to give you heads up as to whether you'll be getting our special schemes (-VQH "Go Roo's", -VQP "Gold Coast Titans" and -VQQ "Seaworld")

Pieter, sure beats having a plane sitting around Singapore for 12hrs each day. Only issue becomes swapping aeroplanes for maintenance purposes as this will become more frequent. (250hrs between A-checks)

Saturday 19 September 2009

Here's something you won't normally see at PEN... not that difficult to see why!

IMG_1598800.jpg

And SQ192/19SEP09 was diverted to KUL this morning. ILS at PEN is not working and pilots are having to perform VOR/DME approaches. With this, the decision height is much higher at 950ft for runway 04. Due to thunderstorm activity and low cloud base, several flights this morning were diverted or were holding in the air for quite a while before landing.

What a day!

I have just signed up to this excellent aviation forum. I must say there is a wealth of information here.

I live in Australia but will be traveling to Penang on the 10-14 October and wanted to do some spotting/photography at WMKP. At this stage is looks like I will be at WMKP on Tuesday 13 October during the morning. I wanted to know if the spotting area off Jalan Baru Batu Maung was accessible by public transport or if there were any other spotting areas accessible by public transport.

Any information would be helpfull.

Many Thanks

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Gilbert

I have just signed up to this excellent aviation forum. I must say there is a wealth of information here.

I live in Australia but will be traveling to Penang on the 10-14 October and wanted to do some spotting/photography at WMKP. At this stage is looks like I will be at WMKP on Tuesday 13 October during the morning. I wanted to know if the spotting area off Jalan Baru Batu Maung was accessible by public transport or if there were any other spotting areas accessible by public transport.

Any information would be helpfull.

Many Thanks

Jeff

I haven't been to spotting at PEN for quite some time and as far as I know the spot at Batu Maung now requires ladder in order to take some shots. I quite sure that area is accessible by Rapid Penang busses but sorry to say that I do not know the exact bus number.