MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Lim

Application to CTC Wings as cadet pilot

Hello people,

I've recently applied to CTC Wings as a cadet pilot via the Easyjet careers website. CTC has training bases in the UK and NZ and they train pilots for a lot of airlines (according to their website).

Is anyone familiar with this establishment? They require a £60k bond during training in case they can't find an airline for me after graduation. Does that mean they will take the money?

Also, I have a few stumbling blocks in my path. I will be turning 30 years old soon and I have myopia of around 400 degrees. Is this going to be a potential problem? I might go for corrective eye surgery if they may fail eyesight problems.

I am 5'4" which I think is just OK for 737 or A320 type jets. Will my height restrict me from flying bigger jets where longer reach is required?

Am currently working as a consulting engineer in the UK but I cannot see the career going anywhere.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any genuine advice.

Regards,

Andrew

I think you may try posting it at PPRUNE site.

Regarding GBP60K, you may need to be cautious if CTC may went bust. Several US flight schools went bust recently due to economy recession. Reason: falling student enrolment and oil price.

In the Far East, there is a hiring freeze at the moment for airlines. EVA, CI, JAL and ANA are experiencing decreasing passenger loads...less people travel overseas for their holidays now. With 30%-50% reduction in export sales, cargo flights will also be affected.

You may want to save your money to purchase your own glider plane or kit-plane...they costs roughly USD180K-300K. You may try the glider clubs/sites operating in South Yorkshire region. To fly it, you only need an RPL (recreational pilots license), which requires less flying hours to pass test.

Thanks for the reply Denny. I was actually thinking of going down cadetship route, not PPL.

Since the economy is so bad right now, I am seriously contemplating a career change as my current profession pays relatively badly even during the booming times!

Read somewhere that CTC is top for cadetship program in the UK, followed by Oxford Aviation School and Cabair. But even that won't give them immunity from the credit crunch I guess. Thanks for the warning.

Would you know whether cadets bonded to MAS have to put down some sort of deposit as well?

Sign in to follow this