MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jamie H

MAS hires ex-BA man.....

Source: http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Fri...cle/indexb_html

MAS picks foreigner as operations chief

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 1:

Several months ago, a debate took place on whether Malaysia Airlines should hire foreigners to help revive its fortunes.

It appears the reformers have won the day. The national carrier today announced that Peter Read, a key member of the British Airways management team until recently, will be appointed to the newly-created position of Director of Operations from Jan 9.

As a key member of the management team, Read would be responsible for managing all activities relating to the operational safety and efficiency of the airline, Malaysia Airlines said in a statement here.

"This will include taking a key role in the development of Malaysia Airlines’ corporate strategy while restructuring its operations to build a world class team to focus on driving significant and sustainable performance improvement," it said.

Read brings vast airline industry experience to the financially-troubled airline, having spent 32 years in a number of varied roles within BA where he started his career as a pilot in 1972.

Read also held positions as Concorde Operations Controller and at one time a director of Heathrow London. The airline sees him as a vital part of the programme to turn around MAS.

The carrier posted a net loss of RM368 million during the second quarter, bringing the total loss in the first six months to RM648 million.

Revenue in the second quarter grew by 10 per cent to some RM3 billion but costs expanded by 30 per cent.

The high operating cost of RM3.4 billion was the main reason for its losses.

When the issue of hiring foreign help was raised earlier this year, several politicians argued against it, saying it would lead to the country being colonised again. But the more enlightened pointed out that if the carrier was serious in tackling its financial and structural problems, then race or nationality should not be deciding factors

I love the last paragraph - echoing all my sentiments. MH should for once have an individual with the know-how on running an airline on its helm - one's origins or skin tone shouldnt be an issue! In such a grim time for MH, being wise and logical should take precedence over national pride (the reverse true amongst many politicians). Here's to hopefully a smooth ride for MH in the future....

Edited by Jamie H

mas should hire us all from mwings. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

i take a pay cut as long as company agrees to give access to roam around tarmac 24 hrs 7 day week. i am sure jonathan will follow suit.....

MH should for once have an individual with the know-how on running an airline on its helm - one's origins or skin tone shouldnt be an issue!

BA has been excellent in making people reduntant; even management is not safe nowadays, so..........MH (ground)staff should be getting nervous now ohmy.gif

we will be expecting major rehaul maybe of the management by Idris Jala, and maybe the man from BA too.

Hopefully the airline could be saved and get to the greeen again

LATEST , 2 Dec at malaysia airlines academy kelana jaya,

Pm and idris jala had a breifing with us the whole day(all staff of mas)

He told us now mas is in red now and if we dun make any profit by march 2006

mas will tutup kedai.(close shop)

idris even walk around the academy shaking hand with all of us and told us to address him by idris only...so down to earth..

Q1 = RM280.7 mil Loss

Q2 = RM367.7 mil Loss

Q3 = Expecting Loss

Q4 = ???

The net loss for the six months amounted to RM648.4 million.

Full year financial report ended on 31 March 2006. How come so short one?

Azahan : When you get that position with the ramp access, can I offer my services (for free) to carry your camera bag - as long as I can bring my own camera too.

Let's hope MAS completely re-look its entire make-up, fleet and route network and fares. I have a strong feeling that MAS' problems is nothing to do with load factor but yield.

With the level of service it provides, is it under-selling itself in many key markets?

What are the routes where the airline is perhaps better off with a code-share partner? Maybe MAS does really need to be in a real alliance.

KC Sim

LATEST , 2 Dec at malaysia airlines academy kelana jaya,

Pm and idris jala had a breifing with us the whole day(all staff of mas)

He told us now mas is in red now and if we dun make any profit by march 2006

mas will tutup kedai.(close shop)

idris even walk around the academy shaking hand with all of us and told us to address him by idris only...so down to earth..

18562[/snapback]

..while the other red is flying high.

mas should hire us all from mwings. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

i take a pay cut as long as company agrees to give access to roam around tarmac 24 hrs 7 day week. i am sure jonathan will follow suit.....

18499[/snapback]

I can get expat salary ah? laugh.gif

Let's hope MAS completely re-look its entire make-up, fleet and route network and fares.  I have a strong feeling that MAS' problems is nothing to do with load factor but yield.

Spot on KC. I dont think MAS has problems filling up their planes. Their problem lies on making money from other avenues ie cargo, maintenance/repairs, catering etc and most importantly, managing their finances for which you could only blame the powers-that-be. Dont know which baboon decided to sell Mas-Katering to LSG Skychefs in what was probably the worst move they've made. The fact that Munir is repeatingly highlighting high fuel costs for their losses just drives me irate!! Its not like the SQs and QFs have their oil cheap.

And if they want to say "oh, SQ need not worry of loss-making domestic routes", look at QF with its vast domestic network. The cunning albeit big-bully Geoff Dixon has successfully separated the Qantas-Group into several entities and look at them now - one of the most profitable airlines in the business (service is still crap though).

Edited by Jamie H

the Qantas-Group into several entities and look at them now - one of the most profitable airlines in the business

So is KLM (see my reply before): MAS should make it the same way EACH WITH THE PROFIT DEMAND and introduce a good yield-management system wink.gif

And if they want to say "oh, SQ need not worry of loss-making domestic routes", look at QF with its vast domestic network. The cunning albeit big-bully Geoff Dixon has successfully separated the Qantas-Group into several entities and look at them now - one of the most profitable airlines in the business (service is still crap though).

You can say the same thing with Air NZ, service is crap but they are doing okay now.

What I don't understand is why Air Asia - senior management run by all Malaysians - and they did make money

MH during late 70's, 80's and early 90's were also run by Malaysians - and MH did make money 90% of the time.

Y do we need mat sallehs? they will cost more.... betultak?

Remembered ( even in the Malay Papers recently) the previous Tan Sri Aziz was very sentimental and at the end of the day he did a good job. Managed to balance the government - social needs with commercial needs. And his management team then were all pround Malaysians.

Azahan u r right. may we should run it.

This is not about politics or nationalism. But Malaysians Boleh!

Cancel catering. Save tons of money.

19185[/snapback]

Ya... Like What Air Asia Do... replace it with meggi cawan and Roti Gardenia. laugh.gif

maybe those can save as well!

Call Gardenia and Maggi to sponsor.

In return, the aircraft livery is a roti, and the seat is yellow and red color.

I don't agree with RUIZ RAZY, U just need to hire 1 or 2 foreigner, that's not means u lost a millions. MAS and the management must be honest in running the company. Did u see 2-3 years ago in paper, stewards stealing high priced liquors and sell it outside.

Sign in to follow this