MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew K

Firefly bids farewell to its Fokkers

Published: Sunday December 21, 2008 MYT 6:57:00 PM

Updated: Sunday December 21, 2008 MYT 8:25:58 PM

Firefly bids farewell to its Fokkers

PETALING JAYA: MAS subsidiary Firefly has replaced its Fokker 50s fleet with the French-made ATR 72-500.

It received its fifth ATR at a ceremony at Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang on Sunday, with another five aircraft arriving next year.

Managing director Eddy Leong said the company was proud to finally operate with the new ATRs from Toulouse, France but was equally emotionally to bid farewell to the Fokkers.

Firefly started operations in April last year by leasing two Fokkers from MAS and a third Fokker subleased from MASWings.

“The ATR 72-500 is the critical component fuelling Firefly’s aggressive network expansion in 2008 and 2009,” said Leong.

He said the 72-seat aircraft was equipped with a state-of-the-art cabin interior, comfortable seats with ample leg room and reduced cabin noise – courtesy of modern acoustic technology.

He said the ATR would reduce Firefly’s operating costs by up to 20% on fuel and maintenance.

“Consequently, on Dec 16, we decided to remove the fuel surcharge for all our flights,” he said.

So where do these dutch birds go?

DSC02865s.jpg

I attended the ceremony earlier this morning. I was there with TK and Alan B.

I will upload more photos later, my internet too slow now.

Azuddin

The ATR cabin sure look spacious and comfy

DSC02860.jpg

DSC02859.jpg

DSC02872-1.jpg

The pitch between seats is a bit cramp. But the seat is quiet comfortable.

Bernama has Eddy Leong quoted "..... it was snapped-up by a company in Europe ....."

"Golf India" and "Golf Kilo" bought by a Dutch company and will be lease to "Feeder Airlines" operating in Sudan..

OT

Azuddin : I didn't know that you are one of the Alpha user as well. So that makes 3 of us in this forum (Ashmil, Azuddin and myself) :p

I gonna miss Fokker 50 ! At least I get to experience quite a number of times flying on the F50 !

The ATRs had some teething problems when first came into service with FY right? How about now?

The introduction of any new equipment into airline service will involve some minor problem. However Eddy Leong mentioned that the ATR's was introduced as planned and as scheduled.

for someone who rarely flies like me,i think im lucky enough to have flown in the fokker 50 before they retired it eh? :p

oh btw,the wheels of the ATR looks to sit real low on the ground..are there any space for suspension or anything like that??

OT

Azuddin : I didn't know that you are one of the Alpha user as well. So that makes 3 of us in this forum (Ashmil, Azuddin and myself) :p

Yup, I uses Alpha.

oh btw,the wheels of the ATR looks to sit real low on the ground..are there any space for suspension or anything like that??

I agree. One more thing, the center of gravity at the undercarriage is very small which make the ATR is not really good for crosswind landing.

Azuddin

One more thing, the center of gravity at the undercarriage is very small which make the ATR is not really good for crosswind landing.

Azuddin

Indeed . . . previously when I was working with Air Mandalay in Myanmar and often had the chance to occupy the jump seat, our pilots emphasised that for certain airports where strong cross-wind is expected, they will actually land the plane hard to ensure that it stays on the runway after touchdown. And so for landing at airports such as Heho (in the Shan mountains), an announcement is made just prior to landing that a hard landing is to be expected for the reason stated above.

The short legged ATR72 is surprisingly hardy and a wonderful plane. Not surprisingly, it is selling well even after so many years in service. Last month, Vernon and I took a flight on FireFly and service was superb. Needless to say, we will both need no convincing about flying on the airline again - just for the fun of it.

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

"Vaarwel" or "tot ziens" Peninsular Dutch Ladies; good to see your twin sisters in Borneo still active for a few more months :pardon:

Enjoy your new African surroundings/temperatures !!! :blink:

This is a very sad news to me. Yesterday I first time flew on the ATR. My opinion...

Good:

-Brand new interior.

-My window so clean that I was able to enjoy the scenery despite it was at night.

-The smaller engine size allows those sitting next to it to enjoy the scenery as well.(trade of with the main landing gear attached to the fuselage)

Bad:

-Boarding from behind.

-the overhead compartment is the same height with me which is pretty annoying and they look cheap.

-The interior white lighting which is irritating to my eyes. I would prefer the old yellowish light.

-Landing bounce 3 times(well i include this because lots of my friend complained about the same thing)

Good bye Fokker 50. I will miss you....

-The interior white lighting which is irritating to my eyes. I would prefer the old yellowish light.

Once upon a time the lighting in the F50 was also white. After a while that clear plastic light cover will turn yellow :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this