MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan B.

'KLIA East @ Labu’

Ahh the game continues......... Now that MAHB says they are going to speed up the new LCCT, I think the next move in this game is that AK now wants to "own" the LCCT planned by MAHB.

Nah, unfortunately I think AK and Sime Darby will build the new airport eventually.

All the news clippings seem to confirm that its pretty serious, and not just a ploy. If it is a ploy, good job Tony...

I agree... whichever way it goes, the LCCT will become a much more pleasant experience for pax.

Although I am a bit doubtful about Labu Airport opening by March 2011, I mean to even make that deadline, they must start construction really soon and they can't do that because:

1) No funding... nobody has stepped up to offer to finance the construction of the airport (I hope sime does)

2) They haven't tested the soil and suitability of the location yet... (you need that for the runway and taxiways IIRC)

3) I haven't seen any blueprints of any kind, not even rough plans yet... (i could be wrong)

But ya, I'm actually rooting for AK to build Labu because I really believe they would do better, as Tony said "controlling their own fate". If AK doesn't have to pay for the use of facilities and can collect rent for ALOT ALOT of shops and eateries at the airport, not only would pax pay less (or no) airport tax, AK would also earn quite abit from the rentals! A 3 way WIN-WIN-WIN situation for AK (collect rent), Pax (more shops to eat/buy) and the Shops (LCCT has ALOT of pax)!

Furthurmore, if (thats a IF), AK does extend the komuter from Labu station, it would make the airport more 'cheaply accesible' (sorry, but ERL is very expensive for the budget traveller and RM9 Buses take a LONG time), not to mention the fact that its nearer to KL means we won't have to spend so much time on the road. If the travelling time from KL city to Labu is 30 mins as promised and cost only RM9/10, then I would definitely prefer flying there over KLIA!

Edited by reyneo

I agree... whichever way it goes, the LCCT will become a much more pleasant experience for pax.

At last ... a comment from a real customer's (or 'guest' as they like to call it) perspective, rather than from a planner's, an analyst's, a critic's, ... :good:

Yes, for me, a simple guest who uses AK every month, it's no rocket science. If I get to pay RM49.99 to go to Kota Kinabalu, I don't really care if AK flies from Banting or Kuala Selangor, as long as the plane and the airport are both decent.

So what's the name gonna be?

Labu airport sound funny.

Lyndon B Johnson Terminal sound considerable in honor the founder of Labu Jaya.

Azuddin

Video of Tony's press conference about the whole thing

Smart guy, Tony.

Sure hope he's just pulling off a stunt!

I am convince that this sir thambys way of pushing MAHB to get on with permanent LCCT going!!!!Wayang tinggi max!!!

Does this mean MAS can have their own airport if they are unsatisfied with KLIA and MAHB?

I guess they would fit in Subang and they would save a lot of transfer costs.

Does does anybosy know where it would be built?

Can anybody do a google earth overview?

Does does anybosy know where it would be built?

Can anybody do a google earth overview?

It has been said this project will be funded using private funds and the rakyat's money will not be affected. How about the roads that will have to built, the extra controllers to be paid, and many more. Will these be privately funded as well? Airways, SID's, STAR's will also have to be realigned, redesigned and completely reworked and this will not come free either. How about the effect of having 2 international airport so close too each other? As it is the current ATC is already strained during peak hour operations.

Another thing if this project becomes a reality, it seems that the site is pretty set but what about the environment impact study? How about the people that will be affected by the new planned airport and it's traffic? If this was Europe or Japan there will be people (local residents) on the streets demonstrating about possible carbon and noise pollution etc but here hardly a squeek.

As a last note I'm inclined to agree that a new terminal is sorely needed to cater for AK's expansion plan but surely a solution can be found within the grand KLIA masterplan. The KLIA East@Labu just doesn't seem right to me on so many levels. It will be intersting to see how this one will progress.

Edited by Ahmad M

I'm inclined to agree that a new terminal is sorely needed to cater for AK's expansion plan but surely a solution can be found within the grand KLIA masterplan. The KLIA East@Labu just doesn't seem right to me on so many levels. It will be intersting to see how this one will progress.

Fully agree with this line of thoughts. I just cannot imagine two airports operating so close . . . not that the ATC could not cope but it opens up one more area where an added measure of risk comes into play. Even if Sime Darby and AirAsia agrees to pay for all the road links, water supply pipes, electricity connections, transportation links . . . it is going to further dilute KLIA's aspiration to be a hub.

For many, the thought of transferring from the international airport to the LCCT 20km away (the present situation) is still bearable. But if it is perceived that the new KLIA East @ Labu is "another airport", would-be travellers considering tranferring at KLIA might decide to go somewhere else where such transfer is done within the same or via an adjacent terminal within the same airport.

I certainly cannot imagine that a location within the current KLIA is not available . . . I always felt that KLIA has much more land around it for expansion than Changi Airport. When TF was initially moving into the LCCT, I dont recall him saying anything about the terminal being too small or that it might cause his airline to go bust (what a drama qxxxn).

I personally feel that the LCCT in its present form was unsustainable - with passengers from different flights mingling with one another enroute to the aircraft. A new and completely new concept must be adopted for the replacement facility but efficiency and growth must be factored in. And please do not rush to open it ahead of any other facility anywhere else. I can just imagine MAB's frustration now.

KC Sim

As it is the current ATC is already strained during peak hour operations.

KLIA is designed for 125m ppa and 5 runways. Wonder how and why ATC is strained at current capacity? :nea: :pardon: May be another reason for AK to relocates to Labu.

:drinks:

KLIA is designed for 125m ppa and 5 runways. Wonder how and why ATC is strained at current capacity? :nea: :pardon: May be another reason for AK to relocates to Labu.

even if AK really moves to Labu, i believe KLIA ATC will still be handling their traffic coz according to TF, Labu is still a part of KLIA which made me wonder is that possible that Labu which is 10km apart from KLIA be under KLIA ATC?

Having to say that, can Labu be considered as part of KLIA in terms of airport operations coz two different airports should be at least 40km apart?

even if AK really moves to Labu, i believe KLIA ATC will still be handling their traffic coz according to TF, Labu is still a part of KLIA which made me wonder is that possible that Labu which is 10km apart from KLIA be under KLIA ATC?

Having to say that, can Labu be considered as part of KLIA in terms of airport operations coz two different airports should be at least 40km apart?

I believe, the ATC for the proposed KLIA East will be done by the KLIA itself. 10 KM difference does not need another ATC. Avalon Airport here in Victoria is controlled by Melbourne Airport ATC which is situated 60 KM away. It can be done.

I believe, the ATC for the proposed KLIA East will be done by the KLIA itself. 10 KM difference does not need another ATC. Avalon Airport here in Victoria is controlled by Melbourne Airport ATC which is situated 60 KM away. It can be done.

Lumpur Control and Approach is located at SZB in the building opposite the old terminal 2 and they control all traffic around KLIA, SZB and Simpang.

Yes KLIA was planned as you mentioned and you would think the ATC will be equipped accordingly but unfortunately in this case it hasn't. For years I've heard about the controllers asking for fund to upgrade their equipment but somehow it is not forthcoming and when it's given it is simply not enough. One example is that their radar is not capable of showing where the storm cells are and often radar vectors are given that needed correction from pilots thus using unnecessary RT time. So I would think it would be wise to upgrade the ATC before we burden them with more airports to handle.

I am an ex-ATC so perhaps I can shed some light on this.

The radar sequences can be handled by ONE entity who will channel the traffic accordingly to KUL or LBU (oops... are we creating ICAO codes already? Hehehe...). However, the aerodrome comtrol would still have to be handled by the respective airports, somewhat like Changi Airport and Paya Lebar Airport on Singapore, very close to one another you can see aircraft on parallel approaches at times.

Yes KLIA was planned as you mentioned and you would think the ATC will be equipped accordingly but unfortunately in this case it hasn't. For years I've heard about the controllers asking for fund to upgrade their equipment but somehow it is not forthcoming and when it's given it is simply not enough. One example is that their radar is not capable of showing where the storm cells are and often radar vectors are given that needed correction from pilots thus using unnecessary RT time. So I would think it would be wise to upgrade the ATC before we burden them with more airports to handle.

Ok... now this is worrying. How can an airport NOT have facilities to view thunderstorm cells? Perhaps you could be mistaken because this feature is very much a requirement for the tower controllers to advise the pilots accordingly about where these cells are and practice caution when approaching. It is also needed for the tower controller to determine the need to declare his aerodrome in "visual" or "not visual" conditions and having these storm cells on tap in front of him on a screen (while not gospel) will help him make this decision.

Is KLIA CAT I certified?

..... handled by ONE entity who will channel the traffic accordingly to KUL or LBU (oops... are we creating ICAO codes already? Hehehe...)

Aiyah ! Careful you channel AK planes 7km due east from KLIA only, not right across South China Sea (to Labuan) !! :p

All SIDs and STARs will have to be redesigned - this will impact upon ATC management. The distance of the the proposed airport also brings it very close to high terrain.

The DCA needs to modernise and maintain it's ATC facility. Perhaps, the DCA should first consider modernising and updating its Air Traffic Management System abd build a new ATC management facility at KLIA adjacent the existing control tower. The older centre perhaps transformed into an ATC training school for both AirForce and DCA controllers.

Perhaps with such modernisation , Malaysia will again be able to control the Airspace over the south china sea - presently being controlled from Singapore. And perhaps steps should be taken to modernise in tandem with the CAAS in Singapore, Thai & Indonesian ATC authorities also for future ASEAN coalitions.

So much can be done - it really just needs to be "planned" THOROUGHLY first and not on a whim and a fancy.