MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH's Inflight Product 'Enhancements' (Both Good and Bad)

Yet another flight where Nasi Lemak is being served and for supper no less.

LSG SkyChefs should achieve economies of scale in mass producing nasi lemaks by now.

my last experience with MH was on 7th June 09 on KUL-KCH route. The crew usually will collect the meal box back but on that flight, the crew drag a huge plastic bag and asking pax to throw used meal box into the plastic bag, AKA Air Asia style "rubbish to dispose, any rubbish to dispose, sir?". the opening at the side is making pax difficult to take the meal box out from the plane. Perhaps, MH can consider what TG is doing for their domestic flight, the box is sleek and smart, easy to wallap.

IMG_0607.jpg

mentang mentang already kasi turun itu class, kali kali bikin sama rupa macam low class punya barang

I like the sleeves, you could pop up the 2 tabs and viola...you got yourself a takeaway!

Good if you are planning to take away...but i think this will add extra burden to the crew...

I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID!!! HOW TO TAKE AWAY WHEN THERE IS A HOLE AT THE END OF THE BOX!

I find that the meals look very sufficient for a domestic sector. It's just that the presentation is truly lacking. Version 1 of the snack box looked good, but lacked content... and now, content looks decent, but the box looks like what you get when you order takeaway at a hawker centre... Wonder when MH will get it right. Are the boxes more environmentally friendly than if they were to used re-useable trays and plates like on many other airlines?

So, presenting MH's new biodegradable sugarcane fibre snackbox.

P1010464.jpg

Apparently Meor was served with the new biodegradable sugarcane fibre snackbox too

I was also served this box on MH2662 just now (KUL-BKI). The dinner offered was either chicken with rice or beef satay with fried rice. I chose the beef satay with fried rice and it was good. The beef satay especially. A dessert (don't know what it was, too sweet) and a pack of Ferrero Rocher.

The design of the new box is definitely a big let down but at least it's green. However i still think it is the best to serve the meal on a proper tray just like last time. A box of any sort just looks cheap.

By the way, i went to KL last Friday on the 6.05am flight and it was full to the brim. Not a single seat vacant including Business Class and surprisingly EY was mostly filled with Europeans and Africans. My return flight just now was also full in both classes.

I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID!!! HOW TO TAKE AWAY WHEN THERE IS A HOLE AT THE END OF THE BOX!

The is indeed a huge hole on the side.

Yes, the cutting/hole is on the right side of Meor's snackbox. But in the earlier photographs, the snackbox which was served to my close friend had the cutting/hole on the left side of it.

So could it could be at either side. Not sure what is the rationale. Different side of cutting/hole for window/aisle passengers?

After another round of thinking, I guess there's only one cutting/hole at the new mealbox. Whether the cutting/hole is on the right or left side is determined by how the cover (with Malaysia Airlines emblem on it) is being sealed to the lower portion of the box (upwards or downwards) OR how the food was arranged in it and presented to the passengers.

did you notice that in both pix actually are all same except the meal on either left or right? :D and the cutting/hole. the cutting/hole should be used to reduce Cabin Crew workload when preparing the box, after reheat the meal, they can easily place the meal back into the box via that cutting/hole. just my 2 cents.

Edited by Samuel Chy

Fellow MWinger Gilbert Chung was on the Airbus operated 11.05am KCH-KUL flight, (delayed 1h20m) as I had predicted, the KCH-KUL still uses the old colourful snekbox...i bet on his return flight, he will get the SnekBox 2.0...hahaha! Will upload picture later...content, Roll and Butter, Deluxe Biscuits, Fruit Slices, water...main meal was Nasi Minyak with Ayam Masak Merah with Pickled Veggies...

OK, i got an idea. make the cover 'open-able' lifting side of the cover for the hot meal side, while the sleeve is put on the side where they put the sliced fruits, biscuits etc. when they serve to the pax, and if pax wanna to take it down, just push the sleeve to the middle and the 'open-able' side is to be hold by the sleeve.

MAS.jpg

Edited by Dr Chuo Hock Tieng

OK, i got an idea. make the cover 'open-able' lifting side of the cover for the hot meal side, while the sleeve is put on the side where they put the sliced fruits, biscuits etc. when they serve to the pax, and if pax wanna to take it down, just push the sleeve to the middle and the 'open-able' side is to be hold by the sleeve.

MAS.jpg

Yes yes! Finally a good idea...they actually have "flaps" that you can open and the sleeves serve as a "lock" that slides into place. Securing the flap and keeping the food nicely inside.

I think MH catering thought that putting a hole on the sides help crew "slide" the hot meal into position easier.

I believe all the boxes are loaded into the cart with the holw facing towards the cart door,the crew just open the cart door then slide in the meals into every box...

Pull the cart out, turn around, then fill the other side...that was why some of the 'holes" seemed aligned "left and right".

I think you should suggest your idea to MH, I musc prefere the "flap" as in your drawing.

JUST SERVE THE BLOODY MEAL ON A TRAY STUPID! :diablo:

I was just thinking, maybe MH did away with the trays because for re-useable utensils, they need to go through a process of "samak", (Muslim friends please correct the spelling), I remembered when KLIA first opened, it boast the biggest and most hi-tech "samak" porcessing facility in the world.

As such were the "silver" forks and spoons and reuseable desserts bowls and so on...could that be a reason? It would be easier for the pax to bring home the "tray/box" after the meal as souvenir or just recycle them as they are now biodegrable...

See how QF came up with the "napkin/table mat/rubbish bag" on their domestic flights?

qantas274.jpg

qantas229.jpg

taken from airlinemeals.net...

Just my "theory" lar... :drinks:

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

"Samak" is technique used to cleanse utensils/ cutlery that may have been used to serve pork. It involves the introduction of earth (soil) to the water in the washing process. Hence, not applicable to MH.

snip snip ...

I was just thinking, maybe MH did away with the trays because for re-useable utensils, they need to go through a process of "samak", (Muslim friends please correct the spelling), I remembered when KLIA first opened, it boast the biggest and most hi-tech "samak" porcessing facility in the world.

snip snip ...

I remembered when KLIA first opened, it boast the biggest and most hi-tech "cleaning" processing facility in the world << ---- I think the correct term is cleaning

"Samak" is technique used to cleanse utensils/ cutlery that may have been used to serve pork. It involves the introduction of earth (soil) to the water in the washing process. Hence, not applicable to MH.

oops...my bad...sorry...

I remembered when KLIA first opened, it boast the biggest and most hi-tech "cleaning" processing facility in the world

Ahh...it runs on a conveyor belt I believe...stand corrected...thanks...

hhmmm... to save problem with cleaning cost cutting, serving something simple, no neccesary hot meal. I fell in love with what TG did for the domestic flight for hot route eg BKK-CNX, salad, chicken salad, curry puff, sandwich,savory bun, etc is much healthier, filling and nice and utmos importantly, easy to wallap and it must be wallap-able... no more worries on serving on trays, ugly meal box, cheapo and kanasai sugarcane box. Think simple. Serve drinks on high qualitypaper cups, with nicey deco on the outside, or even can put on 'severe' adverts too. Pax pay "peanuts" price gets "nasik lemak" meals, on 5 Star "caviar" carrier.

Actually Kenneth is right about the samak matter. Just to share something from an old thread of mine in A.Net, an information from my former 'insider', Isz1.

I dunno about other airline, but MH and LSG Sky Chefs-Brahims KUL has developed the world’s first samak clay industrial dish-washing machine (according to Muslim law) for the benefits of 25+ different airlines that using LSG Sky Chefs-Brahims catering service at KUL.

From meal carts to oven inserts / oven rungs / jugs etc or anything to do with airline food, they need to be hygenic all the time, dont they. After all, you want a good and clean food, dont you.

Just like your dining set at home, once you done with your meal, you wash n clean ur dining set. Besides "standard" industrial dish washing, things are done a bit different at LSG Sky Chefs-Brahims KUL... the samak dish-washing that is.

Ermmm, yes. But what about stuff from CX, KL, LH, TG etc that using LSG Sky Chefs-Brahims catering service at KUL. Plus, some "lost/stolen/borrowed" items from other airlines i.e oven rung, S/U, S.M.U etc?

For those who are interested about the thread, you can read it here http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/2968763/1/#1 It discussed about the airlines in the world that serve only halal food as a standard meal. A nice discussion, it was in fact one of my most successful thread in A.Net's General Aviation. Discussion include samak, fasting and of course, animal slaughtering aaprt from the main topic.

Actually Kenneth is right about the samak matter. Just to share something from an old thread of mine in A.Net, an information from my former 'insider', Isz1.

For those who are interested about the thread, you can read it here http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/2968763/1/#1 It discussed about the airlines in the world that serve only halal food as a standard meal. A nice discussion, it was in fact one of my most successful thread in A.Net's General Aviation. Discussion include samak, fasting and of course, animal slaughtering aaprt from the main topic.

I thought I was right, Thanks Azizul, I could sleep better tonight...hahaha! Cheers mate!

If you read carefully, Kenneth was implying that "samak" was an additional feature that could have cost more in the cleaning process versus the traditional & typical "detergent-and-water" process. And if it did cost more money as Kenneth implied, it would only be applicable if MH had served pork or had re-used utensils of other airlines that may have served pork - neither of which is valid.

The quote that Azizul provided from A.net was silent if the Samak process was universally applied to all airlines' utensils including MH's OR it excluded MH's OR the cleaning machines at the flight kitchen already incorporate Samak within the overall cleaning process (some say, cleansing process), which you cant readily exclude MH's utensils from just the samak process or the samak phase is not a standalone process of a separate machine/ conveyor line or the samak phase cannot be priced separately as a stand alone process - it's all priced in.

If it is indeed a separate process, then MH's stuff could have been excluded as no pork is served, and may also be applicable to the likes of BI (if they upload meals at KUL), SV, KU et al.

LSG ware wash at KUL is using very fine powder mud, similar to those cosmetic face powder. The mud wash is incorporated in the ware wash conveyor after detergent rinsing.

The intention was to cleanse utensil that might have cross contaminated while washing at foreign kitchen. As MH upload only from halal certified flight kitchen, not sure about the necessity. May be holier than thou?

:drinks:

True to its words about focusing on the Middle Eastern region, MH will introduce new Middle Eastern inflight meals aboard its flight into the region beginning February 2010.

Malaysia Airlines To Introduce New Middle Eastern Menu

October 30, 2009 19:56 PM

Aubergine_sm.jpg

TANTALISING... One of the new Middle Eastern dishes to be offered by Malaysia Airlines. Pix: Courtesy of Malaysia Airlines

SUBANG, Oct 30 (Bernama) -- In a continuous effort to delight customers, Malaysia Airlines together with its in-flight caterer, LSG Sky Chefs Brahim, held a Middle Eastern food tasting session recently for selected customers under its 'Friends of MH' programme.

The session was organised to gather feedback on its proposed new Middle Eastern menu which was developed in close consultation with guest chefs, Chef Pierre El-Kossaifi from Lebanon and Chef Oscar Villegas from the United Kingdom.

The new Middle Eastern menu was prepared after an intensive 5-day workshop which involved menu discussions, research & development, food sourcing in the local markets, test preparations and the actual cooking of the dishes.

Mini sensory tests were held to further improve on the taste and consistency of dishes developed before the presentation to customers.

"With globalization, travellers are becoming more particular about the kind of meals they are served in-flight," said Malaysia Airlines Director of Operations, Captain Mohamed Azharuddin Osman.

"This initiative is aimed at meeting our customers' expectations through a stronger focus on route specific needs. For this particular route, the aim was to improve the authenticity of Middle Eastern cuisine served onboard.

"The Middle East market is a key market for Malaysia Airlines especially in the leisure, student traffic and medical tourism segments. In line with our aim to deliver what matters most to our customers, we strive to offer exceptional standards and quality of in-flight food and beverage.

"In addition, our passengers from the Middle East can travel with peace of mind on Malaysia Airlines because we ensure that all food products used in in-flight catering are set along the 'halal' benchmark," he added.

The food presentation showcased an array of meals which included Baby Lambshank cooked Iranian style, Chicken Kabli, Lamb Biryani cooked Arabic Style and Fish Sayadieh, which proved to be a favourite amongst the customers.

Once the feedback is collated and analysed, further improvements will be made before the dishes are uplifted onboard Malaysia Airlines' aircraft flying the Middle Eastern routes. The enhanced menu is targeted to be served onboard from February 2010 onwards.

Malaysia Airlines currently operates direct flights between Dubai and Kuala Lumpur, five times a week, and via Karachi twice a week. It recently increased the frequency of its direct flights between Istanbul and Kuala Lumpur to three times weekly.

It also offers three weekly flights between Dubai and Beirut and four weekly flights between Jeddah and Kuala Lumpur. The carrier also has code share flights from Abu Dhabi, Cairo, Bahrain and Doha to Kuala Lumpur.

-- BERNAMA

I still think the mentioned KUL-DXB schedule is wrong. It's 5 weekly, 2 of which via KHI. The sentence made it sounds like it is 5 weekly and another 2 more via KHI, which is wrong, after the delinking of MH 30/31 to IST from DXB.

True to its words about focusing on the Middle Eastern region, MH will introduce new Middle Eastern inflight meals aboard its flight into the region beginning February 2010.

They should not limit it only to the Middle-east. They should sometimes serve it on domestic flights too. Offer us more varieties instead of serving us those boring fried meehoon, sausage with omelette etc. One of the best fried rice i ever had just happen to be a middle east kind of fried rice :good:

One of the best fried rice i ever had just happen to be a middle east kind of fried rice :good:

Middle Easterners use basmati rice.

:drinks:

Breaking news from the MH Rumour Department!!!

MH will remove out all foot rest in the Economy Class from the entire B772ER fleet, presumably to further reduce the weight of the aircraft in order to save on fuel cost. 9M-MRC is confirmed to have been 'foot rest-less'.