MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH's Inflight Product 'Enhancements' (Both Good and Bad)

Yes, but hey, isn't this a good news (on the company's part)? At least MH is now living up to its 5 star reputation. 5 star means EXPENSIVE.

However, I do aware about the disclaimer that Mushrif always mentioned to us here about MH's short haul product, which Skytrax rated as 3 star only, hence this sudden fare increase will be subjected to further deliberating by MalaysianWings members.

MH have been promoting themselves as the World's Five Star Value Carrier (FSVC) for a while now. So are they going to drop the V and called themselves FSC instead?

I need to do a KUL-KCH return in late December. Just checked their fare - it is almost RM700. bomb.gif Luckily there is Airasia.

Economy+, do you get lounge access?

No lounge access for Economy+ (E). But that's why it is priced cheaper then the discounted Business Class fare (D) and full Business Class fare ( C).

No lounge access for Economy+ (E). But that's why it is priced cheaper then the discounted Business Class fare (D) and full Business Class fare ( C).

Yes one gets lounge access on E+.

It's cheaper as baggage allowance is 25kg only and there are other limitations, such as change of tarvel dates, cancellation, standby bla bla.

But one gets the same service/ seat/ lounge as the D or C fares.

MH will introduce a new 1 hand luggage per passenger ruling beginning 1 October 2010. http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/includes/hand_baggage.html

Hand Baggage Policy

Effective 1 October 2010, please be mindful that the hand baggage policy will be implemented.

Your Hand Baggage:

- Must fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead compartments.

- Each piece must not exceed the following dimensions:

img_baggage_info.gif

Quantity:

- Economy class: 1 piece.

- First and business class: 2 pieces*.

During check-in, you will receive a baggage tag for the second piece of hand baggage. Kindly use the tag as any other pieces beyond the first must be tagged.

In addition to your carry-on baggage, the following personal items are also allowed as hand baggage:

- A handbag, pocket book or purse.

- A briefcase.

- An overcoat, wrap or blanket.

- Electronic equipment such as laptop, ipad & camera.

- A small camera or a pair of binoculars.

- A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight.

- An infant carry cot.

- Infant & children food for consumption in-flight.

- Fully collapsible baby stroller (on wide body aircraft only).

- Walking stick/canes or crutches and/or braces/prosthetic devices, which the passenger is dependent on.

* All hand baggage beyond the first piece must be tagged. Please enquire with the check-in/ baggage drop-off counter staff.

KL International Airport (KLIA):

The airport authority, MAHB, will be enforcing the "one passenger, one hand baggage" policy for all airlines at KLIA, and its security personnel will be conducting checks at the entrance points for flights.

Please note that checks will also be conducted at check-in and at the boarding gate. You might be required to check in hand baggage which exceeds the allowed limit.

Hand baggage checks are meant for your safety & comfort:

The hand baggage policy for all passengers including self check-in will provide enough storage space for those on the flight and minimize injuries caused by oversized baggage falling from overhead compartments. This will also facilitate passenger and cabin crew movement.

The hand baggage must comply with applicable laws and security measures including those imposed by airports.

For more information, please click here

Ah, similar to what they do here in the states. It's not a big deal really, especially when you can actually check-in luggage for free.

Edited by jani

GLC executives are MH J class captive and major customers. Understand many of them are complaining MH service (e.g. seat, food and schedule) is below expectation especially on regional route.

Given competitive environment and choice, if MH failed to match competitors, MH has a fairly good chance to lose these premium pax.

KK Lee ... i think MH has already been losing customers every single year since IJ came in with his 'genius plan' .. he has since left, another guy using MH as a stepping stone to greater success. He managed to sell everything MH owned so he could show a profit, then left before MH started announcing losses again.

yet another prediction by the keyboard warriors comes true !! :)

KK Lee ... i think MH has already been losing customers every single year since IJ came in with his 'genius plan' .. he has since left, another guy using MH as a stepping stone to greater success. He managed to sell everything MH owned so he could show a profit, then left before MH started announcing losses again.

500% AGREED! , But there r some signs of improvements from Inflight Service ( Particularly Food, FQTV programme and Schedules).

Example, Meal portions in EYCL has increased a bit , GCCL meals have improved and more enrich redemption offers compared to his era.

The scary part here is that he's in charge of the Government Transformation and NKRA of Malaysia. Only time will tell......

I don't think we should judge him and made comments about what he has done while he was in position, not to say i'm bias for being a Sarawakian, firstly he was happily working in Shell before going into MAS by the request of the then PM.

Let's not forget, he was "pressured" into saving the airline which was at that time about to collapse (due to the lack of vocab), if you were in his position, what would you have done? You have a "direct pressure" from the PM and facing fierce competition from the "red corner" AND your national pride is at stake? All the while being battered by high fuel prices...did we all forget how difficult time was then?

Maybe "not all" that he has done has been the right decisions, but he did what he had to do...and saved what little was left of our beloved airline...God forbid MH should sink and AK suddenly becomes the national airline of Malaysia...the point is, what he has done was a a decision he HAD to make there and then, by hook or by crook...so let's us not judge him so harshly...

Just my 2 cents...cheers!

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Apparently, regular MH J-class pax nicknamed MH regional (A333 and 738) J-class seats rocking chair :rofl: For redeye flight, they arrive KUL one day earlier as couldn’t have enough rest in the plane for meeting on the day of arrival :nea:

For the same 4 hour sector, SQ command US$700 premium over MH :pardon:

I don't think we should judge him and made comments about what he has done while he was in position, not to say i'm bias for being a Sarawakian, firstly he was happily working in Shell before going into MAS by the request of the then PM.

Let's not forget, he was "pressured" into saving the airline which was at that time about to collapse (due to the lack of vocab), if you were in his position, what would you have done? You have a "direct pressure" from the PM and facing fierce competition from the "red corner" AND your national pride is at stake? All the while being battered by high fuel prices...did we all forget how difficult time was then?

Maybe "not all" that he has done has been the right decisions, but he did what he had to do...and saved what little was left of our beloved airline...God forbid MH should sink and AK suddenly becomes the national airline of Malaysia...the point is, what he has done was a a decision he HAD to make there and then, by hook or by crook...so let's us not judge him so harshly...

Just my 2 cents...cheers!

Noted. However, as we r talking about Service Products n "Him": A fine example was that during his his era that those LCC Type Leased 738s with the infamous LCC Economy Seats being sold as Business Class. Having had two such experiences b4 the "Change", and the fact that "him" being up there and incharge, SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE was done to the Frequent n Premium Travellers! No offence intended, though Profit is what any airline wants , the fact remains an airline is still a Service industry and Customer Satisfaction should always come first and should never be compromised!. Particularly when one is considered a 5 Star.

I believe business is business, nothing personal but business. There's no way for a company to lead a money losing approach or business unless it's a risk that could be taken to turn around the business.

Not quite inflight but this is the latest leakage from the MH Rumour Department about the new check-in counters for Business & First Class passengers and Enrich Gold & Platinum members in KLIA, which underwent renovation not too long ago.

227123_10150195482866509_537541508_6925756_7780496_n.jpg

227207_10150195482571509_537541508_6925750_1441709_n.jpg

229532_10150195482331509_537541508_6925746_3179728_n.jpg

I like the complete condorn off of the area. Special thanks to the spy who leaked this to us. You know who you are. *wink*

229532_10150195482331509_537541508_6925746_3179728_n.jpg

It resembles a spaceship :D

old logo? looks nice the new check in counters?!

Noticed that too. Why the old logo ?

Edited by Isaac

Can we please not to discuss about the old logo/typeface? Aren't we tired of arguing about it? (cue: the fighting about 'attention to details' in the A333 thread). [To relive the fighting, go to page 47 and 48 of the A333 thread].

MH staff here said they need the Prime Minister to approve the change of the logo/typeface on everything except on the new aircrafts' outer paint job, the fact that we don't know the whole story, they know the whole story, all MH staff work with only 1 hand because their other hand is being tied at the back blablabla.

Thanks for the photos Azizul. A far cry from the First Class counter you used one and a half year ago huh. :lol:

Nice renovation, and a long overdue one.

righto. i think they did quite a good job on the renovation. personally dont think customers care about the font (not to nitpick, but logo is actually the same), but premium customers generally wants the feeling of separation and exclusivity, which this space now provides.

MH is phasing out traditional manual check-in at KUL beginning 1 August until the end of August 2011 for all domestic flights. All manual check-in procedure at KUL will be done through the self check-in kiosks, ala AirAsia. I foresee a lot of job cuts derive from this effort, which is good for the company.

http://malaysiaairlines.listedcompany.com/news.ihtml/id/260212

Malaysia Airlines Introduces Self Check-in Kiosk At KLIA For Domestic Flights

BackJul 11, 2011

Effective 1 August 2011, passengers travelling economy class on Malaysia Airlines’ domestic flights will be able to do self check-in to process their departure formalities and baggage check-in at KL International Airport (KLIA).

This latest convenience for our customers will ensure that they have better control over their travel including seat selections during kiosk check-in. Customers will be guided by the national carrier’s employees who will be on hand to offer assistance.

The counter check-in process will be slowly phased out and replaced by the self check-in kiosk by August. Malaysia Airports Berhad will reposition 22 existing check-in kiosks at KLIA to the front of the conventional check-in counters, at rows A - F for this purpose.

“With the switch over to self check-in kiosks, our customers will have yet another check-in option at the airport in addition to the existing self-service convenience offered through our MH Mobile Check-in, MH Web Check-in and MH Buddy Check-in through Facebook,” said Malaysia Airlines’ Director of Operations, Capt Mohamed Azharuddin Osman.

“This will enable our customers and frontline employees to interact in a friendlier and more customer-focused atmosphere, while the self check-in kiosk facility will help to further automate processes. Customers are reminded to have their 13 digit e-ticket number for self check-in,” he added.

Immediately after self check in, customers are shown to the baggage drop-off points where necessary, to hand over their checked-in baggage to the airline employees.

Customers still need to comply with all the existing travel and safety requirements for air travel out of KLIA.

The self check-in facility provides added convenience for customers as they can now check-in as early as 48 hours before flight departure. Although this facility closes 40 minutes before flight departure customers are encouraged to arrive early to clear their travel formalities.

Malaysia Airlines will offer the following enhanced passenger services at the counters in Row B of the KLIA departure level 5.

* Baggage Drop Off

* Check-in for passengers with special needs

* Standby Passengers registration and acceptance

* Passenger services

This consolidated airport check-in convenience is one of the many initiatives rolled out by Malaysia Airlines to improve customer experience when they travel with the national carrier.

1.jpg

Malaysia Airlines Airport Operations staff guiding customers at Self check-in kiosk

Issued by:

Media Relations Unit/Communications Division, Malaysia Airlines, Subang

I was using the Self Checked In Kiosk on my flight to Kunming and after checking in, there was no boarding pass printed out. So approaching the counter to seek for assistance, the attendants seem annoyed and upset about the latest system and approach and hoping us, the passengers, could lodge the complain.

I actually fully believe that it is high time MAS seperate the ground handling services into another company with partial ownership similar to SIA/SATS arrangement of previous years and trim SO much fat from its spreadsheet and focus on providing flight services only..

Branding would further be enhanced as typically, poor quality services are often associated with MAS ground crews.. particularly during delays etc. The airline could setup a small but efficient ground team that handles such circumstances and special handling requirements of passengers that are made up of ex-cabin crew who are proficiently trained in service and also leave options for airline staff who want to start a family.

There is still so much that can be done - I think there is too much talk/hype and not enough commitment from everyone... The person at the top really has to be high-profile and open - much like Tony is at AirAsia - before I really could think about seeing change at MAS.

I was using the Self Checked In Kiosk on my flight to Kunming and after checking in, there was no boarding pass printed out. So approaching the counter to seek for assistance, the attendants seem annoyed and upset about the latest system and approach and hoping us, the passengers, could lodge the complain.

Self check-in kiosks sometimes have this problem of not printing.

I once checked in a KLM kiosk, but no boarding pass came out. I assumed it got printed inside but got stuck when rolling out. When I peeked deep into the dispenser, indeed there was the boarding pass... jammed along with 3 other person's boarding pass (earlier passengers)! Put my little finger in and hey presto - managed to hook all of them out.