MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH's Inflight Product 'Enhancements' (Both Good and Bad)

Imagine the wedding cakes you get at hotels.

WHAT ? That is SUPER SMALL and i can finish it with just one bite.

Its pretty small. Imagine the wedding cakes you get at hotels

WHAT ? That is SUPER SMALL and i can finish it with just one bite.

With wedding cakes, probable insinuation is that you're allowed just the 'one bite' - anything extra is presumably guilt ridden :p

With MH, small serving exposes a rich avenue for critique :D

Yet another new inflight meal comes out. The MH Rumour Department just leaked the photo of MH's new 'fruit cake in a box' which is speculated to replace the fresh fruits inside the snackbox. So far the 'fruit cake in a box' received good comments - they tasted good.Also being communicated is that for the school holiday season, Haagen Dazs ice creams will be served on certain domestic flights. MH 86 KUL-BKI on 21 November 2009 saw the distribution of this ice creams.

Great! any chance for me to get the Haagen Dazs on my MH 2608 flight bound for BKI on this 18th Dec ?? anyway,the fruit cake Doesn't taste really nice. just FAir as im not a fan of fruitcake too.. but seriously i can tell,it is AWFUL.I was served the fruit cake on my flight to Jakarta last january..

Edited by Azfar Arif

New from MH's Rumour Department!

Beginning January 2010, Select IFE guide magazine won't be printed out separately. It'll now be part of the Going Places inflight magazine. There will be 2 versions of it (Going Places + Select for the B744s, B772s, A332s and A333s and the Going Places - Select for the B734s). The Temptations Duty Free Catalog will be printed out once every 3 months as opposed to once every 2 months previously. More reduced meals for Business Class passengers for flights within Peninsular Malaysia. For the same flights as well, a proper napkin and metal cutlery will be replaced by cutlery in a plastic bag like those served in the international sector Economy class flights and no napkin. MH will also reduced the printing out and distribution of the Going Places inflight magazine so for those collectors, expect more worn out magazine copies aboard.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

New from MH's Rumour Department!

Beginning January 2010, Select IFE guide magazine won't be printed out separately. It'll now be part of the Going Places inflight magazine. There will be 2 versions of it (Going Places + Select for the B744s, B772s and A333s and the Going Places - Select for the B734s). The Temptations Duty Free Catalog will be printed out once every 3 months as opposed to once every 2 months previously. More reduced meals for Business Class passengers for flights within Peninsular Malaysia. For the same flights as well, a proper napkip and metal cutlery will be replaced by cutlery in a plastic bag like those served in the international sector Economy class flights and no napkin. MH will also reduced the printing out and distribution of the Going Places inflight magazine so for those collectors, expect more worn out magazine copies aboard.

Sentiasa melepasi 'jangkaan'. (Going beyond 'expectations').

I wonder what cost cutting measures will be implemented next.

More reduced meals for Business Class passengers for flights within Peninsular Malaysia. For the same flights as well, a proper napkin and metal cutlery will be replaced by cutlery in a plastic bag like those served in the international sector Economy class flights and no napkin.

If MH can afford to give away Baskin Robbins ice cream and Ferrero Rocher chocolate to domestic EY pax, don’t see why MH need to cut back on J meal. How much saving can MH make vs the fare? May be MH perceive domestic J class as a monopoly business and these pax won’t downgrade to EY or AK no matter what service they receive onboard.

It is true that J pax can have more choice of food and drink at the lounge but many of these pax are busy executives often arrive airport just in time for the flight.

:drinks:

Sentiasa melepasi 'jangkaan'. (Going beyond 'expectations').

I wonder what cost cutting measures will be implemented next.

Apparently a lot of other premier airlines have taken this consolidating inflight literature to a more serious level than MH. EK has gotten rid of their Duty Free catalog and incorporates it into its ICE IFE. And just recently, SQ made a huge buzz among their fans with their confirmed plan to abolish SilverKris magazine and incorporates it into their KrisWorld IFE. The airline has also come up with an online version of their SilverKris magazine. The future of travel is without inflight magazine apparently.

Back to MH, just a quick update on some product enhancements. The pillow cover in the Business Class cabin of the B734 is now identical to those newly NSD-designed onboard the Business Class cabin for B744 and B772. The colour is dark blue on B734 versus light blue on B744/B772. There will be no more blue/white pillow cover which is identical to the Economy Class onboard the B734 in the premium cabin.

Apparently a lot of other premier airlines have taken this consolidating inflight literature to a more serious level than MH. EK has gotten rid of their Duty Free catalog and incorporates it into its ICE IFE. And just recently, SQ made a huge buzz among their fans with their confirmed plan to abolish SilverKris magazine and incorporates it into their KrisWorld IFE. The airline has also come up with an online version of their SilverKris magazine. The future of travel is without inflight magazine apparently.

Back to MH, just a quick update on some product enhancements. The pillow cover in the Business Class cabin of the B734 is now identical to those newly NSD-designed onboard the Business Class cabin for B744 and B772. The colour is dark blue on B734 versus light blue on B744/B772. There will be no more blue/white pillow cover which is identical to the Economy Class onboard the B734 in the premium cabin.

From this

1532165.jpg

to

1255132.jpg

This is SQ's official press release about their new paperless initiative.

Singapore Airlines Announces Trial To Go Paperless

In its latest move towards more environmentally-friendly operations, with the ultimate aim of a paperless cabin, Singapore Airlines will progressively introduce an electronic version of magazines on its award-winning KrisWorld inflight entertainment system. As a first step, the Airline will offer in electronic format its three inflight magazines - SilverKris, KrisShop and KrisWorld – as part of a trial with a privately held Singapore-based company, SmarttPapers Aviation Pte Ltd.

SilverKris, SIA’s travel magazine; KrisShop, the Airline’s inflight sales catalogue; and KrisWorld, SIA’s inflight entertainment guide; will be the first publications featured as part of the inflight entertainment system offerings.

The SmarttPapers™ application uses a patented file compression technology to compress and transform magazines and newspaper contents into a digital format for integration into the inflight entertainment system.

In line with efforts to reduce the amount of paper carried on board, thus reducing weight and saving fuel, the Airline aims to extend this initiative to other publications at a later date, including menu cards and the more than 100 international and local magazines currently carried systemwide. The plan is also to introduce e-newspapers and e-books on board using the same technology.

Singapore Airlines will be the first in the world to have this unique feature on its aircraft fleet equipped with the latest Panasonic eX2™ inflight entertainment system (IFE), starting with two Boeing 777-300ERs from 31 July, followed by two Airbus A380s. More A380s and B777-300ERs, as well as other aircraft fitted with the eX2™ system - Airbus A330-300s and A340-500s - will have this feature included in the fleet.

Said Singapore Airlines’ Senior Vice President Product & Services, Mr Yap Kim Wah, “This opens up a wide range of opportunities to benefit our customers and at the same time results in less weight in the aircraft. E-books and e-magazines have gained popularity and we want to offer these to our customers.”

Added Winston Wei, CEO of SmarttPapers Aviation Pte Ltd, “We are pleased to be chosen by SIA to enable this revolutionary onboard experience. Customers will be able to enjoy a wide range of current and archived publications starting with the Airline’s three inflight magazines in high resolution from the comfort of their seats. Features will include a keyword search, personalised font size and different zooming levels to aid reading.”

Will Going Places, Temptation and Select Guide ended up having the same fate as SilverKris, KrisShop and KrisWorld Guide?

However, in a very recent development, EK has reversed their 'e-magazine' campaign because of a major drop in revenue from in-flight duty free sales. Magazines are now reportedly will be making a comeback at the seat pockets.

I hope MH will not follow suit. Before IFE is on or after the IFE is off just before landing, at least you can flip through the mag to fill your time. Otherwise you will have nothing to do since all electronic devices must be switched off. And 737 is not fitted with IFE anyway.

Hmm, is this thread is way out of topic, or just me being lack of imagination?! I couldn't really relate sweet and spicy kacang to the paperless trail by SQ and new pillows on MH 734. pardon.gif

LOL Calvin, this thread has evolved from kacang masin to kacang sweet and spice to no hot towel for Economy Class passengers to biodegradable sugarcane fibre snack box to removal of foot rests to reduction of galley utensils to fruit cake to consolidation of inflight literature to pillow cover.

Hey, basically this thread is about MH's tiny inflight product 'enhancements' (both good and bad). I'll get the thread title changed ASAP.

Seriously this is a tad too much ready materials.

IMG_3899.jpg

Compared to this.

IMG_7669.jpg

Bro, i didnt know air sickness bag of KLM is a reading material? :rofl: :p

Seriously, going paperless is a good way forward and capitalizing the IFE as part of the integral of "paper materials / literature" do have great advantages. Amongst key advantages are : -

1 Materials can be updated easily and fairly quickly, end of month,,,etc.

2 Materials may even be allocated to specific sectors/routes, i.e. arabic for M/East bound flights, Japaneese for Japan ..etc.

3 Lighter aircraft weight, lesser OPEX

However, it needs to be presentable and easy to manage and navigate, something like ala I-Pod/ I - PAd would be fantastic. I remembered once I complemented the effort to have the menu on PTV screen by MH in this forum, however, it was not as detailed as the paper menu's and it's a distraction when it flashes out from the screen, esp. when one is enjoying the IFE. As such , even these menu requires it's own section within the IFE system. We don't even know what drinks are available and the actual "story" of the meal.

In fact, one step beyond is to allow the passengers to select their choices on screen before meals are being served would be something worth thinking. Tho' we may not anticipate 100% compliance from the passengers , but it is something that can easily reduce serving time and there's that forward thinking factor. Even , requests for drinks and snacks may even be in similar method; in addition to the usual walk around by crew.

With the advancement of technology and the increasingly number of IT savy , it would be a natural thing for an airline to adapt and be creative in this direction.

Perhaps, an option for internet check in / managing bookings / meal requests for future flights and live arrivals ( incl. baggage carousel) and departures ( inc. gates) would be a must within the IFE system soon!

Having 500 / 1000 channels / entertainment options is amazing , but having the above complimentary items would be perfect!, especially in Green awareness; Mind you Green here are not just the uniforms, but green with respect to Mother Nature :rolleyes:

Breaking news!

The MH Rumour Department just leaked that in view of the recent good load these past few months, MH will increase its airfare for all domestic routes beginning 11 August 2010. More news will be communicated especially on how high the increase will be, as it becomes available.

Breaking news!

The MH Rumour Department just leaked that in view of the recent good load these past few months, MH will increase its airfare for all domestic routes beginning 11 August 2010. More news will be communicated especially on how high the increase will be, as it becomes available.

If fares go up, So as Customer expectations!; Rightfully, MH 1970's Inflight Meals with the new 738s , equipped with PTV cum interactive system would then be the minimum for such fare increment. :rofl:

Believe the improved load was due largely to aggressive ticket pricing. Increase fare may not damper the demand in the short term but may suffer in the long term. Hope they won’t increase the fare too much.

:drinks:

Yes, but hey, isn't this a good news (on the company's part)? At least MH is now living up to its 5 star reputation. 5 star means EXPENSIVE.

However, I do aware about the disclaimer that Mushrif always mentioned to us here about MH's short haul product, which Skytrax rated as 3 star only, hence this sudden fare increase will be subjected to further deliberating by MalaysianWings members.