MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH's Inflight Product 'Enhancements' (Both Good and Bad)

Must be one of those Bad Cost that the Supreme Commander of Malaysia Airlines talked about during the first quarter results,... costs which must be eliminated.

So getting customers who paid for their flight, to freshen up a bit, is Bad Cost for Malaysia Airlines. So this is Malaysian Hospitality...

Edited by Rozhan

More signs that MAS is moving towards being a Low cost carier. So much of the service on MH is already cut down. From full dinnerwith cheese and crackers + hot towels ( not paper ones) to snack boxes plus towelletes and now even that is going. Soon they might just start selling meals on board.

Just to share another fresh news from the very informative MH Rumour Department, there will be no more cardboard box for the snackbox aboard all applicable MH flights. MH is now using a box made from biodegradable sugarcane fibre. Comments received about this new box so far is that they 'look cheap and ugly'.

It's ok folks, just another cost cutting measure.

Would appreciate if anyone who fly MH and was served with a snackbox in this new biodegradable sugarcane fibre box packaging to take a picture of it and share it here.

Googling around, this is how it should look like. 5 star or not?

SugarcaneleafletSMD_4a.jpg

That thing is hideous.

Cafeterias at my campus are using it for the biodegradable reason. It just doesn't look good. How stupid of MAS to use that. It is just fugly. Period. :finger:

Would appreciate if anyone who fly MH and was served with a snackbox in this new biodegradable sugarcane fibre box packaging to take a picture of it and share it here.

I was lucky enough that after asking around, a close friend of mine was served with the new biodegradable sugarcane fibre snackbox on his recent KUL-KCH trip and he doesn't mind to share it here in MW.

So, presenting MH's new biodegradable sugarcane fibre snackbox.

P1010464.jpg

P1010465.jpg

P1010466.jpg

What do you guys think?

Hmmm.....that was almost exactly the same meal I got on MH 129 KUL - MEL on the 21st of June albeit on a meal tray. Replace the pink guava juice with orange juice and throw in an extra warm bread roll and butter and there you have it.

The new box looks like those cartons that they use to store those 'Omega 3 Eggs' that are sold at the supermarkets/hypermarkets in Malaysia.

Is the cost of buying these biodegradable containers cheaper that using the reusable containers and trays of the past? I can only think of the cost of washing the reusable containers, making them 'greener' than throwaway items, biodegradable or not.

Or is it some parties are given a business opportunity to supply these things for a long, long period of time?

Edited by Rozhan

Is the cost of buying these biodegradable containers cheaper that using the reusable containers and trays of the past? I can only think of the cost of washing the reusable containers, making them 'greener' than throwaway items, biodegradable or not.

Or is it some parties are given a business opportunity to supply these things for a long, long period of time?

I was thinking the same thing seeing that they now almost back to the so called 'hot meal' instead of the sandwich. Why not just use the trays?

I was thinking the same thing seeing that they now almost back to the so called 'hot meal' instead of the sandwich. Why not just use the trays?

Yes, it's most bizarre.. to save money and to be environmentally friendly, one thought they could simply reuse the tray. Can't think of much benefit from using boxes, maybe it's more compact, so use less storage space or maybe people can take away..

At a time when people are "reusing recycling reducing", they already have perfectly good trays that can be used thousands of times, why do they have to spend money on these recycled containers? So what if they are made from recycled sugar cane, it still will be disposed off after one use.

I also see more work for the crew, having to load the hot meal and then close the box!

JUST SERVE THE BLOODY MEAL ON A TRAY STUPID! :diablo:

Edited by Alan B.

May be these biodegradable box is cheaper than what LSG is charging MH for tray wash.

Wonder who and how often they test for pesticide and toxin residue in those biodegradable tray.

That thing is hideous.

Cafeterias at my campus are using it for the biodegradable reason. It just doesn't look good. How stupid of MAS to use that. It is just fugly. Period. :finger:

You study at USM?

I was lucky enough that after asking around, a close friend of mine was served with the new biodegradable sugarcane fibre snackbox on his recent KUL-KCH trip and he doesn't mind to share it here in MW.

They should at least sharpen those rough edges on the snackbox, then it will look as if it is high quality built(although its still look cheap)...

Edited by Alif A. F.

P1010464.jpg

P1010465.jpg

P1010466.jpg

What do you guys think?

Looks more like fast food! Truly a laughing stock! They claimed 5 star and yet produces budget products. Let's now compare with Hotel's Fine dining restaurants, I've not seen say the 6 star Park Hyatt or 5 star Grand Hyatt serves Mcdonnalds Food. I suppose it's time to forward this to Skytax and recommend that their rating be reviewed lower!

You study at USM?

No. UIA. Since you asked, I guess you study at USM. Maybe that thing is compulsory to all universities, but most of the cafe's has already stopped using it since last sem. Haha..... Hangat-hangat tahi ayam....

Edited by Izhar Z

P1010464.jpg

P1010465.jpg

P1010466.jpg

What do you guys think?

I like the sleeves, you could pop up the 2 tabs and viola...you got yourself a takeaway!

Good if you are planning to take away...but i think this will add extra burden to the crew...

At a time when people are "reusing recycling reducing", they already have perfectly good trays that can be used thousands of times, why do they have to spend money on these recycled containers? So what if they are made from recycled sugar cane, it still will be disposed off after one use.

I also see more work for the crew, having to load the hot meal and then close the box!

I like the sleeves, you could pop up the 2 tabs and viola...you got yourself a takeaway!

Good if you are planning to take away...but i think this will add extra burden to the crew...

I guess all of us now are aware of the fact that MH people are lurking around our beloved forum 24-7 even as we speak now (is that good or bad?), right?

With regards to the assumption that this new biodegradable sugarcane fibre snackbox will caused extra workload for the crews, the MH Rumour Department would like to clarify that there is a hole on the left side of the meal box for the crews to insert the hot meals, without having to open up one, while aboard the aircraft prior to serving it to the passengers. The caterer will deliver a sealed mealbox.

Not that I can imagine how it looks like but still, for our attention, please.

I thought I saw a neatly cut opening to the right of the box in Meor's pictures at Airliners Meals thread.

I find it strange to have a box, complete with cover and sleeve to keep it closed....but then there is an opening to the side of the box that may cause contents of the box to spill out anyway. Why bother with a box in the first place?

Just use a tray, and everything is laid out nicely in front of the customer to eat.

Edited by Rozhan

i am speechless. wow. this is FSVC i guess. Premium prices for crappy products. Nice hybrid but I think their thinking caps were put on backwards. It should be the other way round, shouldn't it??

In case some of you still fail to notice the so-called "fine-print", for MH's regional products, including its "highly acclaimed, much talked-about, discussed 24/7" mealboxes, Skytrax has given MH a grand 3 - thats THREE - stars ..ONLY.

I thought I saw a neatly cut opening to the right of the box in Meor's pictures at Airliners Meals thread.

Apparently Meor was served with the new biodegradable sugarcane fibre snackbox too (copied from the Airlines Meals thread in the Flight Logbook Subforum).

My first experience with the New Snack box...

KUL-BKI

MH64

Seat: 12A (My wife) & 12C (Me)

ETD: 2115hrs

Supper was served around 1000hrs... Choices of Chicken satay or Nasi Lemak.. (at 10pm???) aiyoh...... just eat la... My wife eat the satay while i'm taking the Nasi Lemak... better than nothing.

3711552445_db5be8b545_o.jpg

3711552035_fd6d908893_o.jpg

3711552245_d1cce3e62d_o.jpg

-meor-

Yes, the cutting/hole is on the right side of Meor's snackbox. But in the earlier photographs, the snackbox which was served to my close friend had the cutting/hole on the left side of it.

So could it could be at either side. Not sure what is the rationale. Different side of cutting/hole for window/aisle passengers?

After another round of thinking, I guess there's only one cutting/hole at the new mealbox. Whether the cutting/hole is on the right or left side is determined by how the cover (with Malaysia Airlines emblem on it) is being sealed to the lower portion of the box (upwards or downwards) OR how the food was arranged in it and presented to the passengers.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli