MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH's Inflight Product 'Enhancements' (Both Good and Bad)

A MH insider recently revealed that MH will be abolishing the world class, 5 star Kacang Masin (salted nut) from the domestic flights menu. Instead, a new kacang, named Sweet & Spice will be introduced. Kacang Masin fans need not to worry as this kacang will still being served on MH's international flights.

The new Sweet & Spice kacang will also feature a new kind of packaging. It will be long-ish, unlike the square-ish packaging of the Kacang Masin.

Not a kacang fan myself, I wonder how is this Sweet & Spice kacang looks like? Also, is Sweet & Spice kacang considered a downgrade from the present Kacang Masin? If anyone being served with it onboard, a photograph of it will be much appreciated.

MH and its kacangs...

Alif - If it's the pictures - yummy!! they are replacing peanuts with pecans, almonds, walnuts and brazils...... those imported nuts cost a bomb in malaysia.... (Are we dreaming!) if they do - it's a nice enhancement.... maybe they it get it cheap from China - since it is also widely produced there now.

I speculate that it will be along the lines of nuts coated with honey/sugar (and sprinkled with sesame) akin to those served in chinese restaurants as appetizers......

Edited by yeadrian

Here in Sarawak we are rather familiar with what is known as "Kacang Pedas"...wonder if that is the same...it is actually "Kacang" fried then tossed in chilli syrup, the syrup similar to the one used in making "Kerekep Ubi"...of course there is some ikan bilis and cronflakes as well...hehehe...that our version lar...Sweet, Salty, Spicy and Crunchy...yum...gonna go and get me some later....

Rumor confirmed.

kacangmanis01.jpg

Taste better than the old kacang masin.

kacangmanis02.jpg

Quantity is about the same.

Thank you Capt Radzi for the confirmation. Just to correct some facts - the packaging size is the same as kacang masin, not long-ish as rumoured and the correct name is Sweet & Spicy Peanuts (Kacang Manis & Pedas) hahaha... Domestic flights only right?

Thank you Capt Radzi for the confirmation. Just to correct some facts - the packaging size is the same as kacang masin, not long-ish as rumoured and the correct name is Sweet & Spicy Peanuts (Kacang Manis & Pedas) hahaha... Domestic flights only right?

I didn't get any of those for BKI-KCH, or KCH-SIN. <_>

I didn't get any of those for BKI-KCH, or KCH-SIN. <_>

"Domestic" in MH is for KCH-Sibu/Miri/Bintulu....BKI-Sandakam/Tawau/Labuan...KCH-BKI as pathetic as it is, is actually ....." International"

Hahaha...hey, is it me or the nuts look a little "Camel Cracker Nuts"??? Like those served on BI????

I was served with the newly packaged Kacang Masin on my most recent flight with MH. The new packaging is identical to those on Kacang Manis & Pedas.

DSC07754.jpg

Not sure where to share this, but the MH Rumour Department leaked another news that the will be NO MORE cold/hot tissue to Economy Class passengers on all INTERNATIONAL flights wef 1 July 2009, which is tomorrow.

Not sure where to share this, but the MH Rumour Department leaked another news that the will be NO MORE cold/hot tissue to Economy Class passengers on all INTERNATIONAL flights wef 1 July 2009, which is tomorrow.

Just a dumb question, but will they give out hot towels thou? Or it's the same category as tissue?

Just a dumb question, but will they give out hot towels thou? Or it's the same category as tissue?

I do not remember MAS ever handed out hot towel to passengers like TG do.

• Like 1

Today's the 1st of July :rolleyes:

Oh yes they did. Back in the 90s when I was first flying on their DC10 VIE-DXB-KUL, they did. They also had amenity kits in Eco back then.

I flew MH Biz class from LAX last spring, they did hand out hot towels. It's really sad to see MH is going way backwards.

Edited by Seth K

Seth, just not to confuse you, the towellete will still be distributed to the Business and First class passengers. This latest cost cutting measure only effects the Economy class passengers. I believe this is one of the effort to overcome future possible losses if the jetfuel price remains low. MH lost MYR 557 million from fuel hedging alone during 1Q2009 remember?

Hot towels were distributed on my recent flights with MH prior to take off and also prior to being served with breakfast for red-eye flights.

Another cost cutting measure I guess.

They would do better by having a more efficient and sophisticated Treasury Management team that would be more competent with dealing with fuel hedgings and the likes to minimise further fuel hedging losses or any form of hedging/swap losses for that matter. I would think the costs saved from not distributing hot towels in Economy Class will easily be outstripped by any potential hedging losses.

Seth, just not to confuse you, the towellete will still be distributed to the Business and First class passengers. This latest cost cutting measure only effects the Economy class passengers. I believe this is one of the effort to overcome future possible losses if the jetfuel price remains low. MH lost MYR 557 million from fuel hedging alone during 1Q2009 remember?

Biz and F get proper towels. Y were given towelletes (basically thick tissues).

Or are you suggesting that Biz and F will now get the Y towelletes?

MAS is really pushing to cut costs the wrong way. i don't know if anyone mentioned before but the Thread Title simply sums it up for MAS -- instead of what kind of kacang to use, other airlines would be taking about their latest gourmet offerings or chef on board or some fancy signature dish. MAS - sweet, salty or spicy kacang. i rest my case. sad for MAS and its direction really ..very disappointing