MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Radzi

The future of MH B747

What do you think will happen to MH B744 fleet in the future?

Maybe the A380 will come in 2011/2012. But only for a maximum of 6(?) and will fly the densest routes. Will the B744 still be relevant by then? The B777 / A330 replacement has not been announced yet; if they are announced and ordered today it still will be a long time before they arrived.

My greatest question, how long do you think the B744 will fly the prime routes before being relegated to a full cargo fleet?

In the present fuel price sensitive environment, I do not think the 744s will have a future in MH's fleet. But I am more curious to see how will MH deploy the A380s (6 some more). It cannot be a one for one replacement because of the difference in capacity.

Will the densest of the densest route able to support the A380?

While the future is not too great, how long do you think the B744 will last with MAS, taking into account no replacement has been announced yet? If MH order the B777-300ER, how long will it be before delivery?

Anyway I don't foresee the 2 B744F to be removed from the fleet.

Actually it's a sad sight to see those B744 sitting still on the KLIA tarmac. :( Anyway, since we are bracing for another economy crunch best choice would be to sell off or leased to other airlines? Maybe convert to cargo. Just my 2 cents.

From a commoner's point of view, 77w should be good to replace the 747, I think one can increase freq to cover for he diff in capacity. Deploy the whales for dense routes such as heathrow, Paris, Aussie routes.

Emirates are doing something similar so it should work..

If they do order now I think it would take at least three to four years . Till then the jumbos can me slowly disposed.

Edited by Walter Sim

There is a question with the ownership of the 744. Unless the owners felt comfortable about converting them into 747-400BCF or BDSF, MAS cannot simply decide to convert them.

Having said that it is good to convert the 744s into BCF/BDSFs soon to replace the lease with Air Atlanta Icelandic (and the gas guzzling 747 classics).

777-300ER will be a good aircraft for MAS, however it is not a direct replacement of the 747-400s. (SQ is deploying 744 as a replacement of 77W on some of their routes during peak seasons) For the time being, MAS can opt to keep some of the newer 747-400s running. IIRC, 9M-MPO, MPP and MPQ was delivered not too long ago.

A bit off topic, but MAS could perhaps look into B787/ A350 to replace the aging less fuel efficient earlier version of A330-322s they have.

The problem with the 787/A350 is that if they order it now they probably won't get it before the year 2020!

I dream of the day MH finally ordering the 77W, but if Mr IJ is to be believed, he said that MH are looking to have only three aircraft types.

With the A380 and the 738 already ordered, I'm guessing the third type will indeed be either the 787 or the A350.

Maybe even they will order a new batch of A330's? But then the range won't be what MH need..

Heard rumours that MH is looking at the A330-300 enhanced version which comes with a higher take off weight and longer range. The attraction I believe is that the waiting period will not be as long as other types since slots are available due too cancellation from other airlines.

Edited by Ahmad M

Since the new widebody aircraft replacement program was halted, I believe the B744s will stay for maybe a decade more in MH's fleet. By then, with all the competitors have completed switching to the fuel efficient B77W, both superior and inferior including SQ, Garuda Indonesia, Philippines Airlines and Biman Bangladesh Airline, MH can be proud to be operating a huge number of the 'classic' jumbo in its fleet. It can be an attraction itself, for passengers who like to fly on it. I would envisage a marketing tagline such as "Fly the classic jumbo with the world's best cabin crews" and the likes.

Should be a strong case for the 744 in the foreseeable future. Only 6 A380s will arrive and they too, will arrive in stages.

In the case of a merger with any of QF, CX, BA or any other names that have appeared, well, they operate 744s too.

Sign in to follow this