MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H C Chai

Long Transit in Hong Kong

Hi all... need some advice here.

I will be doing a long transit in HKG Feb next year. Incoming flight STA 1215 and outgoing flight STD 0945 the following day.

I already have a reservation with the Renaissance Kowloon. However I also have the option of staying at an airport hotel - the Marriott Skycity. I wonder which one would be more convenient in my case?

This will be my first visit to Hong Kong. I do not intend to do any sightseeing but it will be daft not to have quick stroll in the city. I need to find out how is the location of Renaissance Kowloon - e.g. proximity to the station, how easy to find nice local food (roast goose in particular). Does the SkyPlaza in HKIA does nice, authentic food too? The information from the hotel website seem to be very basic.

Many Thanks in advance! ;)

Rennaissance is in a good place, walk a bit to the kowloon harbour (good for evening performance of hk's cityscape - symphony of lights - highly recommended for avid photographers like you) passing the space museum, hk cultural centre, avenue of stars (HK's hollywood walk of fame) Tsimtsatsui in kowloon is itself a shopping area, then take the historic star ferry across to HK island, take a bus to The peak station and there on a tram uphill for a breathtaking view of kowloon peninsula from HK Island...

Both the kowloon (Cityscape) and The Peak gives you different day and night views that are breathtaking!!

having lived there and constantly showing friends and guests around - i am somewhat a pro....

Chai - Wow, your stopover is very short, time is limited - my suggestion - after check in

- kowloon harbour (City scape - day)

- take the star ferry to Hk island

- hop on bus to The Peak station and The Peak (San Teng) The bus will give you a small bit of taste in Central Hkg.

- take the star ferry back to Kowloon (Cityscape - evening and symphony of lights show)

- walkaround Tsimtsatsui

- go back hotel with aching legs and tired feets, but feel exhilarated and satisfied with the views....

highly recomended must do's - The Peak, kowloon harbour front, historic star ferry ride....

enjoy hong kong, asia's world city!

Yes, HC, do consider yeadrian's tips. The airport is just some 20min from the Kowloon with their efficient trains, and it would be a pity not to sample the essence of this great city called Hong Kong . :D

Yes Naim, I will consider yeadrain's tips. Thanks yeadrain for the detailed suggestions! Much appreciated! ;)

Now I only have one more question - I am keen to try out some roast goose. How easy it is to find a restaurant (or a hawker stall) that does this. I am hoping it is as easy as finding McDonald's in London?

Yes Naim, I will consider yeadrain's tips. Thanks yeadrain for the detailed suggestions! Much appreciated! ;)

Now I only have one more question - I am keen to try out some roast goose. How easy it is to find a restaurant (or a hawker stall) that does this. I am hoping it is as easy as finding McDonald's in London?

here i go again, there is one nice chinese restaurant in Canton Road - the road that is adjacent to the harbour centre right up to china hong kong city in Tsimtsatsui - it's after silvercord building (Same row) the siew ngor/roasted goose there is ok, better than most. I forgot the name of the restaurant - you can also try asking the concierge in rennaissance for assistance..... there are (some) eateries/Char chan teng that may serve roast goose if you are not fussy, ask before you decide to go in.. Rennaissance's chinese restaurant is also an option. Roast goose is easier to get in restaurants than eateries....

alternatively - you can splurge(big time) in Spring Moon/The Peninsula or Yan Toh Heen/Intercon HKG which is near your hotel.

It's a pity you will not have time otherwise, side track a bit - Intercon HK /Spoon by Alain Ducasse and Nobu.... (Splurge lagi big time for some really good world class dining experience!)

but of course the best roasted goose in hong kong is beyond your time and reach for this trip - it's in sham tseng...

Edited by yeadrian

Skip the hotel. Spend the day shopping in the city (escape the madness of Nathan Rd and shop in trendy and upscale Elements Mall at Kowloon station instead), have dim sum at Lei Garden, dinner at Pearl on the Peak, and exploring the nightlife all evening (start at the W Living Room for some cocktails, Felix at the Peninsula for more cocktails as well as a great place to check out the HK Island skyline light show, head to Lan Kwai Fong, then Dusk Till Dawn in Wan Chai or Bass with new found drinking buddies). Back to the airport 2 hrs before departure, have a shower in the lounge and fall asleep onboard. That's my approach for HKG overnights ever since I've found booking a hotel room for just a shower before heading to the airport far too expensive. ;)

If you want a hotel room though, the W Hong Kong is right next to Kowloon station. They now have a v good value promo HKD1650 till end of Jan, otherwise it normally costs about HKD3550 which is the usual cost for 5* in HKG but superb value for something like the W. You can check out my last TR which has some pics of the W.

Edited by Keith T

Thanks for the tips on food, yeadrain. I have never tried roast goose before, so I'll be alright. ;) I guess the closest dish I can compare with will be the cantonese style roast duck?

Keith, I love your suggestions. I will probably think about it if I was 10 years younger! Is there a paying lounge in HKIA? I will be flying economy so will not have access to the lounge.

Once again thank you all for the suggestions! :)

my pleasure on the tips....hope you have a good trip to Hkg.....

well, the duck and the goose taste almost the same to me.... except goose is more expensive!

I like the liver frying drinking trysts... I should do that again some day!

on the contrary - go bang on to the hustle and bustle of TsimTsaTsui and experience the Real Hong Kong, why head to someplace quiet if you want to be Hong Kong......

info on paying lounge : -

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/passeng...-in-lounge.html

Edited by yeadrian

I missed the roast goose question earlier - without a doubt you have to check out Yung Kee on Wellington St (around the corner from Lan Kwai Fong).

Yes there's a paying lounge near where the TG/UA/VS lounges are. Simply take the train towards gates 33-80 after you past passport control. Can't remember what it's called but there are big advertisements about the place everywhere.

yeadrian: The "liver frying drinking trysts" are the only reason why I visit HKG. :p HKG's nightlife is one of the best if not the best in Asia. The music scene is pretty dull, all R&B and top 40 stuff but they do have great DJs occassionally (they had that dude who plays at The Ivy in London when I was at club 97 last week) and the Fillipino live bands in places like Insomnia and Dusk Till Dawn are a hoot. Pity I lived there when I was only a kid so couldn't partake in it even though we lived just around the corner halfway up that big escalator in Central (well, it's really a series of escalators).

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this