MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Khalil Abd Halim

SQ's First A330

If I remember correctly, the SQ 330's are only meant as a temporary measure, leased from manufacturer A, as a compensatory solution for capacity shortfall arising from A's failure to deliver the dugongs on time to SQ, compounded by retirement schedule of SQ's 744's to which SQ had apparently committed to.

Two questions come to mind :

1) Do the 330's have the range to substitute for the dugong's intended and 744's current routes ? Some maybe, but not all surely

2) With widely anticipated reduced demand in air travel near term (economic recession, etc etc) does SQ have some cancellation clause for the 330 leases ? Would help to save some pennies at the very least :)

Meh.. A330/A340.. So ugly :D

Careful now... there're lots of airbus fans around who'd defend the airbuses like you've just insulted their mothers. :p

Careful now... there're lots of airbus fans around who'd defend the airbuses like you've just insulted their mothers. :p

Hehe Keith, that's a good one :D Watch her flare on landing, absolute beauty, like an eagle pouncing on her prey :) Anyway, if I'm not mistaken the 330's are meant to service the orient routes right?

If I remember correctly, the SQ 330's are only meant as a temporary measure, leased from manufacturer A, as a compensatory solution for capacity shortfall arising from A's failure to deliver the dugongs on time to SQ, compounded by retirement schedule of SQ's 744's to which SQ had apparently committed to.

Two questions come to mind :

1) Do the 330's have the range to substitute for the dugong's intended and 744's current routes ? Some maybe, but not all surely

2) With widely anticipated reduced demand in air travel near term (economic recession, etc etc) does SQ have some cancellation clause for the 330 leases ? Would help to save some pennies at the very least :)

The A333s are to replace the older non-AVOD 777s. Interim replacements until the 787-9s enter service.

The 744s are being replaced by the 77Ws and A388s.

Hehe Keith, that's a good one :D Watch her flare on landing, absolute beauty, like an eagle pouncing on her prey :) Anyway, if I'm not mistaken the 330's are meant to service the orient routes right?

Asia/Australia/Middle East

Like me !!! :pardon:

The 330 along with the 346 are my favorite mode of longhaul transportation :good:

Seems to me like SQ is another RR 330 operator in Asia (like to many)...only VN operating PW ones ? :huh:

The SQ livery looks very nice on the 333 :yahoo:

The A333s are to replace the older non-AVOD 777s. Interim replacements until the 787-9s enter service.

The 744s are being replaced by the 77Ws and A388s.

Meaning capacity shortfall arising from 744's retirement sans dugong arrival not entirely addressed then ?

Well, I'm sure the bird jugglers of Uncle Pieter's ilke will do their magic somehow :)

Meaning capacity shortfall arising from 744's retirement sans dugong arrival not entirely addressed then ?

Well, I'm sure the bird jugglers of Uncle Pieter's ilke will do their magic somehow :)

With the current global financial situation, the capacity shortfall will not be of a concern for the next 18-24 months.

There are currently 14 744s in service. 13 A388s and 1 77W are still on order.

IIRC, SQ took the compensation boeing provided as a result of the 787 delays (and not the 380s) to lease the 330s, which explains why they are the 'stop gap' solution for routes that will be flown with the 787s. SQ intends to fly the 787 for medium haul routes (they didnt say to where, but there were lots of rumors) which the 333s can do.

Seems to me like SQ is another RR 330 operator in Asia (like to many)...only VN operating PW ones ?

Pieter, not only VN operates PW, here is the rough list of A330 operators in East and South East Asia.

Garuda Indonesia - RR

China Eastern - RR

China Southern - RR

Air China - RR

Cathay Pacific - RR

Singapore Airlines - RR

China Airlines - GE

Phillippine Airlines -GE

Asiana Airlines - PW

Malaysia Airlines - PW

Korean Air - PW

Thai Airways - PW

Vietnam airlines - PW (A332s inherited from ex-MH A332 fleet)

Edited by S V Choong

IIRC, SQ took the compensation boeing provided as a result of the 787 delays (and not the 380s) to lease the 330s, which explains why they are the 'stop gap' solution for routes that will be flown with the 787s. SQ intends to fly the 787 for medium haul routes (they didnt say to where, but there were lots of rumors) which the 333s can do.

The 787-9s will be operating short/medium-haul routes which are mainly destinations in Asia/Australia/Middle East. There was a tender for design firms a couple of months ago for the interior design of the business cabin on the 787-9s. Award of tender is expected to be in Feb 2009.

Pieter, not only VN operates PW, here is the rough list of A330 operators in East and South East Asia.

Garuda Indonesia - RR

China Eastern - RR

China Southern - RR

Air China - RR

Cathay Pacific - RR

Singapore Airlines - RR

China Airlines - GE

Phillippine Airlines -GE

Asiana Airlines - PW

Malaysia Airlines - PW

Korean Air - PW

Thai Airways - PW

Add another to that. AirAsia X (D7) - RR

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Guest redharahmad

So when will these birds start flying for SQ? Any chance of them being in service by mid Jan?

SQ A330 was seen in KUL at around 1335 local time today, Feb 1st 2009, departing runway 32R.

Too bad I was in no position to take picture.

Garuda Indonesia - RR

China Eastern - RR

China Southern - RR

Air China - RR

Cathay Pacific - RR

Singapore Airlines - RR

China Airlines - GE

Phillippine Airlines -GE

Asiana Airlines - PW

Malaysia Airlines - PW

Korean Air - PW

Thai Airways - PW

AirAsia X - RR & GE

Sign in to follow this