MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
reyneo

MAS 737-800 routes

My friends flight yesterday to DPS was scheduled to be operated by the 800 series but instead the super colourful 400 was used....

Thanks for the good news for DPS flight later this week. I never thought I will appreciate so much the smarties inspired old birds over relatively new 738 chick.

if im not mistaken the 738s that MH used to lease 4 years ago from a eastern european carrier came with business class seats. why cant MH just lease those aircrafts again?

OK-TVC and TVD right?

I would like to think that "they" - MH management - finally "got it", and have sent the bird to the hangars to rip out those dreadful seats.

I hope you are right. However damage is already done I am sure for a lot of premium passengers. Have they not heard of "Getting it right the first time"?

I hope you are right. However damage is already done I am sure for a lot of premium passengers. Have they not heard of "Getting it right the first time"?

Can give second chance? Can? Phoned MH call centre this morning to enquire. Seems like the dreaded 738 was still listed for KUL-DPS flight this Friday.

Dang! Talk about second chance.... better take some sleeping pill to knock me off completely, then it will be see no evil, hear no evil and talk no evil. Still praying for last minute equipment change.

Can give second chance? Can? Phoned MH call centre this morning to enquire. Seems like the dreaded 738 was still listed for KUL-DPS flight this Friday.

Dang! Talk about second chance.... better take some sleeping pill to knock me off completely, then it will be see no evil, hear no evil and talk no evil. Still praying for last minute equipment change.

Guess you will be travelling in J class. Why not take SQ?

:drinks:

Would it make any difference had MH installed something like this??

Taken from airliners.net. Seats are from DJ. It offers flexibility between converting C to Y.

dj3.png

Seat features wider "C" when arm-rest are bend sideways.

Middle seat seat back could be folded into centre console.

Taken from airliners.net as well. Seats are from UX.

0733928.jpg

Arm-rest bends to the middle creating some more space for "C".

Tray is added on the arm-rests to make it a centre console.

Also from airliners.net. This time from PR. But this is from the 320.

0953554.jpg

I can't really tell, but is the seat any wider?? Only the seat back folded down into a table right?

Any other New Gen C class on narrow-bodies that MH could use??

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Guess you will be travelling in J class. Why not take SQ?

:drinks:

No, it is full fare economy, so why am I whining? I just can't stand the hard seat, lousy pitch, cramped and gloomy interior. J passengers can 'rejoice' with the guaranteed empty middle row, though I can only guess at their reaction.

Unfortunately tight work schedule means only MH's later flight is the only travel option, otherwise I would have ditched it without hesitation (if company permits)! For the amount of money paid, SQ fare is comparable.

Looks like we will just miss each other at DPS. My friend will be taking your plane back to KUL and I will be in the domestic terminal boarding a Garuda flight to Jakarta the time you land. Enjoy your stay in Bali.

Enjoy your stay in Bali.

Same to you! Bali is forever pleasant and beckoning, but I always believe, as many travellers do, that the journey itself is as important as the destination, if not more. Are you flying there on smarties or the black terror?

Edited by V Wong

Saw the B737-800 landing yesterday at DPS. So looks like the bird is back on the route.

Saw the B737-800 landing yesterday at DPS. So looks like the bird is back on the route.

Yes, waiting in lounge now for the lousy bird. J check-in agent at KL Sentral was apologetic, so I guess agent has been getting some unfavourable responses thus far. But was surprised that I prefer smarties. Agent speculated that because it was leased, the cost of changing seats to MH's specs and then back to the original when the lease ends is enormous. At check-in MH has a letter explaining to J passengers about seats in this bird and asking for customer feedback. Will do so once I get back. Geramnya aku!

Would it make any difference had MH installed something like this??

Taken from airliners.net. Seats are from DJ. It offers flexibility between converting C to Y.

dj3.png

Wish i could ride on an aircraft with windows and drapes like that... and the wall... :p

Edited by Yusoff

At check-in MH has a letter explaining to J passengers about seats in this bird and asking for customer feedback.

Does anyone really need to do a survey to know what a typical J pax on MH thinks about the seats?

Idiotic and a waste of time, in my opinion.

Or is it a damage limitation charade, to show that MH "cares" and is "concerned"? (but lacks "foresight"?)

sure the result will be "95,7% of all asked J-Cl passengers really like the new healthier seats and prefer them over conventional sats..."

healthier because if someone is obese he won't fit in :p

Of course there are systems available that widen your seating space, yet the seat pitch remains the same - which is a big turndown.

Was on this aircraft yesterday from KUL to Langkawi. Aircraft then AOG before taking off. Passenger then tranfered to other flights. Don't know why. It was repaired and took off to KUL at 9.00 pm.

Edited by mokhzani

This was the letter addressed to J customers on this aircraft at KL Sentral check-in :

"Dear valued customer,

Your flight today is on a new leased B737-800 aircraft. You will notice some differences in the seat arrangement, seat pitch and recline. It has a 3 seat configuration. For your comfort and convenience, the middle seat will be left empty.

This is a short-term arrangement while we wait for our new B737-800 aircraft which will be delivered to us at the end of next year. We truly regret any inconvenience. If you have any feedback, please email customer@malaysiaairlines.com

Thank you,

Duty Manager

Malaysia Airlines

KL Sentral Station"

I suppose this was part of the service recovery mentioned.

The dreadful flights on DPS trip. I was hyped into super-PITA mode, so here goes:

1. No newspaper to DPS although a raffia string tied bundle of newspaper was seen lying on the floor at the entrance of the aerobridge during boarding. Or maybe it was the previous day’s paper waiting to be disposed?

2. No peanuts to accompany drink after take-off. I thought maybe someone has nut allergy. It was not the case because no drink nor peanut offered after take-off on return flight. So it was just a lapse in the award winning service. Meal service to DPS excruciatingly slow. By the time drinks reached me, had already finished all the miniscule portions in the snack box, which is getting more unhealthy by the day. But that was what the customers wanted right, MH?

3. Rear toilet (right side) - light was faulty and did not switch on when door was closed

4. No audio channel – plugged in with earphone adaptor and got nothing.

5. No in-flight shopping. Had my eyes on a couple of new Temptations exclusive items, so it saved me a couple of hundreds of bucks.

6. Drop down video screen available every 3 seats. On route to DPS showed "Just for Laughs" for the grand total duration of 15-20minutes for the 3hour flight. (should items 5 and 6 go below as service recovery?)

7. Chief FA could be seen standing ala LCC style to make take-off and landing announcements since there was no hidden and seated area to do so. Told you I was hyper-PITA

Noticeable service recovery seen:

1. 2 stalks of orchids in Y toilet. Wow! (but not seen anymore on return flight)

2. Wet paper hand towels available in toilet. Wow!

3. Satay and Ferrero Rocher on flight to DPS. Loacker on return flight. Ambik kau SQ!

4. During return flight, FA gave us pitiful passengers another 15min of cartoon apart from the same Just for Laughs show. Kudos FA "H" and should I thank goodness for little mercies like these? The video central control takes up all the space of row 32 DEF overhead luggage compartment, so beware of these seats.

I was lucky to have whole row empty at the rear on both legs. So after meals, went melintang (horizontal) on the hard seats, put on eyeshades, switch on noise cancelling earphones on ipod, think about the pristine clear water of Nusa Dua beach… and see no further evil, hear no further evil….

This was the letter addressed to J customers on this aircraft at KL Sentral check-in :

"Dear valued customer,

Your flight today is on a new leased B737-800 aircraft. You will notice some differences in the seat arrangement, seat pitch and recline. It has a 3 seat configuration. For your comfort and convenience, the middle seat will be left empty.

This is a short-term arrangement while we wait for our new B737-800 aircraft which will be delivered to us at the end of next year. We truly regret any inconvenience. If you have any feedback, please email customer@malaysiaairlines.com

Thank you,

Duty Manager

Malaysia Airlines

KL Sentral Station"

So can I go into 'shiok sendiri' mode in future if I ever hop aboard one of the leased B737-800 aircraft flying on Y but claim that I was flying J just because the seat next to me was empty ??

Lame. It probably can be considered as deceptive.

I think MH should probably consider giving discount on passengers who are travelling on J Class if the flight is a B738.....

So can I go into 'shiok sendiri' mode in future if I ever hop aboard one of the leased B737-800 aircraft flying on Y but claim that I was flying J just because the seat next to me was empty ??

Lame. It probably can be considered as deceptive.

You could - I was in a 'class beyond J' - 3 seats for myself, fully lie-flat bed.

..... I was in a 'class beyond J' - 3 seats for myself, fully lie-flat bed.

There you go, service recovery beyond expectation (likely beyond intention too !) :p

There you go, service recovery beyond expectation (likely beyond intention too !) :p

Hahaha :rofl: Got job for you at MAS corporate comm!

You could - I was in a 'class beyond J' - 3 seats for myself, fully lie-flat bed.

So if I had all five seats in their B777... that would be what? first class? hehehehee