MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
reyneo

MAS 737-800 routes

Why can't MH, for once, do something that makes people goes "WOW" instead of "What?!!".

Because it's MAS ? Sorry couldn't resist. I don't really expect anything spectacular or revolutionary from MAS.

I'm now curious how they are going to configure the 738 when they receive the first one from Boeing next year. If they really are going to stuff 166 seats (GCC-16, Y-150) into the 738 then i can tell you it's going to be a flying hell. Why ? Because QF 738 is configured with 168 seats (J-12, Y-156), J features 38" of pitch while Y just 30.5". You can pretty much imagine just how "SEMPIT" the legroom on MAS 738 going to be.

Edited by Isaac

I had the opportunity to fly on Jet Airways' 738 in C, and the seats & pitch were wow!, and coupled with great service - the superb hardware and software made it one of the best-est domestic flight ever.

(Of course, one may say that 9W is not in a great financial shape now, but it's not because of the great hardware & software on their 738s.)

Edited by Mushrif A

Because it's MAS ? Sorry couldn't resist. I don't really expect anything spectacular or revolutionary from MAS.

I guess so.. it is just your typical MAS. They couldn't even get the right size of the wau done properly on the tails of the 738 to maximise the value of the brand.

Guys let's fly them before making any serious remarks based on only a handful of information available.

The European concept of medium haul business class has its advantages. Firstly, it gives the airline flexibility in managing its load and yield. Secondly, it costs the airline less and allows for easier maintenance by having one type of seat throughout the aircraft. I believe those Y class seats are lighter in weight compared to the proper J class seats that are currently installed in their premium cabins.

No one in Asia has dared to try this business class concept, not even Air Asia X, and I see MH as the trend setter here. Furthermore, this is very much in line with their pursuit of becoming a 5 star value carrier. BA, LH, LX all have these business class seats on inter-European flights, and they still managed to keep their 5 star ranking. I believe MH will be able to do so as well.

Kudos to MH. I look forward to them introducing this business class concept on all their regional routes. It's not a bad thing and I don't think it will surprise travelers who have become used to the quality of products that MH has been introducing of late; more importantly, MH can proudly declare in future marketing campaigns that they are pioneers of this product in this region.

MH Boleh! :drinks:

Edited by S. Huang

I don't think it will surprise travelers who have become used to the quality of products that MH has been introducing of late; more importantly, MH can proudly declare in future marketing campaigns that they are pioneers of this product in this region.

Are you just being sarcastic or are you serious?

If the latter, you can be employed as MH's Head of Marketing!

I believe those Y class seats are lighter in weight compared to the proper J class seats that are currently installed in their premium cabins.

Not the one we saw. Those look quick thick. Even QF slimline seats are much slimmer.

No one in Asia has dared to try this business class concept, not even Air Asia X, and I see MH as the trend setter here.

It's too late. Because ANA already introduced this kind of European Business Class seat on their 73G (configured with 138 seats) back in 2005 or 2006. The very first route to get this kind of J seat is NRT-TPE vv. The first ANA 73G is in gold livery. The seat is identical to those found on LX 319/320/321,

Furthermore, this is very much in line with their pursuit of becoming a 5 star value carrier. BA, LH, LX all have these business class seats on inter-European flights, and they still managed to keep their 5 star ranking. I believe MH will be able to do so as well.

None of the 3 European carriers you mentioned are 5-star airline, not according to Skytrax anyway. BA used to be a 5-star airline too but was degraded to 4-star after receiving massive complains from the public about their cabin crew in 2001 or 2002.

BA, LH, LX all have these business class seats on inter-European flights, and they still managed to keep their 5 star ranking. I believe MH will be able to do so as well.

None of the airlines mentioned above are ranked 5*....

Personally, I find this type of european business class horrible. Of course it adds flexibility, but as a customer my least concern is my supplier's flexibility. I want comfort, and I don't get it here.

Big disadvandtage: As the seat pitch is the same as in eco, you can't work properly on your laptop, because it's just too cramped.

Lufthansa came up with the idea to leave the middle seat free in a 3-3 seating configuration, and they also feature "sliding armrests" on some aircraft which make the seats a bit wider by the push of a button, yet it does not change the seatpitch.

Personally, I don't want to pay about 3-4x the price from a regular eco ticket for a discounted C-Fare, and then end up like back in cattle class. And on most carriers, also the service product is poor....

Does anyone know how long will the first 3 aircraft be leased for? I mean if they're only gonna be used for a couple of months, then fair enough, just bare with the horrid budget airline interior for awhile. But if they will be in service for more than a year, then MAS should refit MLA-MLC with with a respectable cabin offering and if they want to save cost, re-use the MLA-MLC interiors (maybe re-holstered to make them look new) for the last 3 of their own 738s.

Anw, didn't want to start a new thread, so here are some of the new MAS adjustments:

1) MAS cancels KUL-MFM, last flight on 25 March. (I guess AK won with its multiple frequency flights)

2) From 1st Oct, MAS replaces KL-Jeddah's current 772 service into an A330-300 one. (I feel sorry for anyone on this flight)

3) From 29 Mar, MAS cancels Penang-Medan. (Thanks to FY?)

4) From 29 Mar, MAS starts non-stop KUL-SDK flights on the 737-400.

MH2710 KUL0805 - 1050SDK 734 D

MH2711 SDK1135 - 1420KUL 734 D

5)From 29 Mar, MAS starts 2x weekly KUL-TPE on the new 738s

MH366 KUL0925 - 1405TPE 738 24

MH367 TPE1505 - 2000KUL 738 24

All info from Amadeus, except the KUL-TPE one which is from MAS's PDF timetable. As we have seen, all these are subject to change.

It's too late. Because ANA already introduced this kind of European Business Class seat on their 73G (configured with 138 seats) back in 2005 or 2006. The very first route to get this kind of J seat is NRT-TPE vv. The first ANA 73G is in gold livery. The seat is identical to those found on LX 319/320/321,

None of the 3 European carriers you mentioned are 5-star airline, not according to Skytrax anyway. BA used to be a 5-star airline too but was degraded to 4-star after receiving massive complains from the public about their cabin crew in 2001 or 2002.

Ah, then it's not possible for MH to claim to be an Asian pioneer of such J class configuration :( I don't envy the job of MH's director of marketing then.

Lets not keep harping on Skytrax. Skytrax is hardly recognized as an industry benchmark by many of the world's leading airlines anyway. BA, LH, LX are all considered premium carriers in their own right. MH should aim to go beyond Skytrax, and pitch themselves against other industry leaders.

Quite frankly, there must be a reason why MH deems it necessary to bring (some say lower) their J class product to European standards. We may not have the answers here, but I'm sure this decision has been evaluated and agreed upon at the top level...

The European concept of medium haul business class has its advantages. Firstly, it gives the airline flexibility in managing its load and yield. Secondly, it costs the airline less and allows for easier maintenance by having one type of seat throughout the aircraft. I believe those Y class seats are lighter in weight compared to the proper J class seats that are currently installed in their premium cabins.

No one in Asia has dared to try this business class concept, not even Air Asia X, and I see MH as the trend setter here. Furthermore, this is very much in line with their pursuit of becoming a 5 star value carrier. BA, LH, LX all have these business class seats on inter-European flights, and they still managed to keep their 5 star ranking. I believe MH will be able to do so as well.

Kudos to MH. I look forward to them introducing this business class concept on all their regional routes. It's not a bad thing and I don't think it will surprise travelers who have become used to the quality of products that MH has been introducing of late; more importantly, MH can proudly declare in future marketing campaigns that they are pioneers of this product in this region.

MH Boleh! :drinks:

:rofl: HAHAHAHAHA You are joking right?

MH should aim to go beyond Skytrax, and pitch themselves against other industry leaders.

Quite frankly, there must be a reason why MH deems it necessary to bring (some say lower) their J class product to European standards. We may not have the answers here, but I'm sure this decision has been evaluated and agreed upon at the top level...

You are already contradicting yourself. First you congratulate MH for cutting massive corners in their biz seating on the 738...now you are suggesting MH to "pitch themselves against other industry leaders." Unless what you actually meant was the LCC-industry!

"We may not have the answers here, but I'm sure this decision has been evaluated and agreed upon at the top level..." - remember that spin on heavily-in demand, 90%+-approved, healthy non-cardiac-arrest-inducing finger sandwiches in a snake-box?

Unless what you actually meant was the LCC-industry!

What else did you think I was referring to??

:rofl: HAHAHAHAHA You are joking right?

Actually yes... from what I see MH is getting into... it does seem like one big joke, doesn't it?!

Edited by S. Huang

Now, now...stop the "loser" attitude. MH goes around town saying 5-star this and that. Most travellers are not aviation enthusiast and they dont really care whether it is the -400 or -800 series. But they will know when they find that the big seats that they thought they have paid for are actually the same seats at the back (& same seat picth too?). They will feel cheated by MH.

[/quote

if you pay business class ticket of course..no problem u can make complaint..the problem is now the plane just arrival in kul last week..give mh chance to change the deco in the cabin... :yahoo:

Edited by mohd sukri abd hamid

if it's only short term lease, it would be financially not wise to change the interior.

If they intend to change the interior, they would have surely done it before they put the aircraft into service.

But as the a/c is planned for the longer routes like TPE, i don't think its very wise to have no C-Class at all... XL Airways is a low cost charter carrier, so not really equipped for premium pax. Also seat pitch would be quite narrow.

if you pay business class ticket of course..no problem u can make complaint..the problem is now the plane just arrival in kul last week..give mh chance to change the deco in the cabin... :yahoo:

Don't you think that any changes should be done BEFORE putting the aircraft into service?

Don't you think that any changes should be done BEFORE putting the aircraft into service?

Precisely......that's suppose to be the way

Anybody here has been on board MLA to confirm the type of seating available? Or are we discussing here based on hearsay?