MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

LIMA 2009, already?

Seems like we just had one recently - see album here. :D

===

December 09, 2008 15:13 PM

LIMA Represents Gateway To Growing Asian Defence & Security Market, Says PM

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 9 (Bernama) -- The Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace (LIMA) expo represents a gateway to the growing Asian defence and security market which is expected to be exceed US$350 billion (US$1.00=RM3.63) annually up to 2020.

In stating this, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said the regional market was now arguably the world's second largest for defence and security equipment in the aerospace and maritime sectors.

"If we take into account the greater Asian and Asia Pacific, where China, India, South Korea, Pakistan and Australia are known to be big spenders, the figure will multiply tremendously," he said.

New-generation combat aircraft, submarines, surface combatants, helicopters unmanned aerial vehicles and other strategic assets are high on the priority list of many Asian nations, including Malaysia, Abdullah said.

"If we segment this further to specific assets, like airborne early warning systems and their platforms, countries in the Asia Pacific will account for 50 percent of the world's total acquisition," he said at the official launch of LIMA 2009 here Tuesday.

The event will be held in Langkawi from Dec 1 to 5 next year at the Mahsuri International Exhibition Centre.

Asia's defence market provides many opportunities in medium and long term for suppliers over the next 15 years as regional governments seek to modernise their navies, air forces and security agencies, said

Abdullah, who is also the Defence Minister.

He said the expo was one of the largest defence and civil showcases in the world, regularly attracting the global maritime and aerospace industries to the island.

LIMA, which was previously co-organised by two separate maritime and aerospace organisers, will from next year onwards be replaced by a single organising structure, he added at a press conference.

HW LIMA Sdn Bhd, organiser of the successful maritime segment of LIMA since 1997, is now the overall organiser.

Abdullah, who officially launched LIMA 2009 to mark the beginning of preparations for the event, also witnessed seven corporations signing deals to signify their participation as exhibitors.

They were BAE Systems UK, Boustead Naval Shipyard, Eurocopter, National Aerospace Defence Industries Sdn Bhd, Thales Malaysia Sdn Bhd, Sapura group of companies and Fincantieri Italy.

According to the Prime Minister, Malaysia is well positioned to take advantage of the growth trend in the industries.

Malaysia's strategic location, competitive costs, skilled and talented workforce and first-class infrastructure provides an excellent mix for investment, Abdullah said.

"We have already shown considerable commitment towards developing and facilitating sustainable partnerships in maintenance, repair and overhaul," he said.

Malaysia's shipyards are already building vessels for overseas clients, especially those from the Middle East, Abdullah said, adding that the government would continue to lay down the foundations.

He cited the recent Subang Skypark private initiative as among the examples in line with the country's aspiration to build long-term sustainable partnerships.

"And with a view towards fulfilling growing regional demand and subsequently, towards serving the global market," he said.

-- BERNAMA

http://bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=377220

Edited by Naim

is there a singapore air show coming up soon?

Too bad no direct flight from BKI to Langkawi. Singapore sounds tempting, though.

Well, anyone planning to go LIMA 2009?

1-5 December 2009.

Or Singapore Airshow?

2--7 Feb 2010

Hope they don't change the dates...

I've confirmed booking for an apartment near the airport from 2/12 - 5/12... :rolleyes:

I'll settle for Singapore Air show next year due to direct flight.

LIMA 09...

have to apply leave now...

book hoteL....

book a Car...

i will try and go like what i did on LIMA 07...i went 4 days before the show. Good practice time

LIMA 09...

have to apply leave now...

book hoteL....

book a Car...

i will try and go like what i did on LIMA 07...i went 4 days before the show. Good practice time

TK bro, can tumpang your car to the spotting place in LGK during their practise session ?

Thinking of doing a day trip to LGK. Take a morning flight and back to KUL in the evening. :pardon:

Oh yeah.... looking forward to the "airshow season"... only comes once in 2 years in this part of the world.

chaity...spend a night is good...

i know a place that serve good steak...+...strong

He he! ...strong, me like ! Can consider lor. :pardon: :drinks:

Chaity,

Follow TK's suggestion.... spend a night in LGK

I did the mistake of going to LGK by morning flight, came back at night during LIMA'07

and 3/4 of the day raining..... :sorry:

So this time I'll be there for 4 days..

Walter... no problem to tumpang my apartment...

only kitchen is vacant... heheh (2 bedrooms+living room occupied edi...)

Chaity,

Follow TK's suggestion.... spend a night in LGK

I did the mistake of going to LGK by morning flight, came back at night during LIMA'07

and 3/4 of the day raining..... :sorry:

So this time I'll be there for 4 days..

Walter... no problem to tumpang my apartment...

only kitchen is vacant... heheh (2 bedrooms+living room occupied edi...)

Bro, 4 days over there this time? :good:

Missus tagging along?

Missus tagging along?

Yes... (the tone is depending how you look at it... :p)

That's why 4 days, 'cos there'll be of course, Gunung Machinchang

and Kuah duty free trips.... :pardon:

Now waiting for the 3 airlines which will give the best rates... :lol:

BTW... its Perdana Beach Resort this time.

Missus tagging along?

Yes... (the tone is depending how you look at it... :p)

You too ? :p :D

Joke only haaa..

I'll just wait for the pictures, knowing most pro's will be there .. :rolleyes:

Check MH for good deals during the day open to public. I already book mine for a return trip which cost Rm138. I feel it is a good deal for a student like me who cannot afford to stay at night at Langkawi especially it is a cut throat season.

lima.jpg

Walter Sim and myself will be on this flight.

Just to share my experience on the previous LIMA07 I also made a day trip but I took the ferry. I even took the longer way to drive up to Kuala Perlis thought that I able to avoid the crowd. I reached the Kuala Perlis jetty around 8am and the waiting at the jetty is super long and it is super crowded. By the time I reach the exhibition hall it is already 2pm just in time for the aerial show.

I was fortunate enough to get a return ticket LAST MINUTE on the ferry or else I will have to find a place to call it a night. My advice not to take day trip by ferry because a lot of time will be wasted just by waiting alone. Furthermore you need to get a taxi ride from Kuah Jetty to the exhibition area and another ride back to the jetty, one way will cost you another 20minutes. <_>

The previous LIMA07 was a great one I do hope this year the organizer could even do better.

Well, anyone planning to go LIMA 2009?

1-5 December 2009.

Or Singapore Airshow?

2--7 Feb 2010

Singapore Airshow - which day open to public? 6-7 Feb weekend - normally the last few days, right?

and what's the ticket price for last time?

Edited by Dennis S.

will definitely be going again this year..last time i saw those planes was during the 50th TUDM anniversary and being such a jet fighter-addict,im already all trembling in excitement!!and best thing is,i can borrow my brothers dslr!!no more getting sunburn 5 days in a row and ending up with blurry pics! :clapping: