MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

AirAsia boss aspires to 'take over' SIA

AirAsia Shareholder Unable To Fund Buyout

December 5, 2008

Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia's major shareholder is unable to proceed with the potential buyout of the rest of the airline, AirAsia said on Friday.

"Due to the tight credit market conditions, (Tune Air) is unable to secure financing on acceptable terms and conditions from financial institutions to fund the potential privatization exercise of AirAsia," the airline said in a filing to the stock exchange.

"Tune Air is unable to form a firm intention" on the buyout, it said.

(Reuters)

AirAsia boss aspires to 'take over' SIA

by Tim Leonard

KUALA LUMPUR (Dec 5, 2008): Budget airline AirAsia boss Datuk Seri Tony Fernandez yesterday said his long-term objective is to one day “take over” Singapore Airlines.

airasia.jpg

Najib presents Fernandez with the Brand Icon Award.

Speaking at the Global Brand Forum Malaysia at the Palace of the Golden Horses, the maverick entrepreneur revealed his company’s ambitions at the end of a slide presentation.

To the amazement of those present, he showed two pictures – one of aircraft livery and the other of AirAsia’s new uniform for its stewardesses – and told his audience what he he would name his new company – “Singapore AirAsia”.

Fernandez, who was later presented with the Malaysian Icon Award by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak for his contribution to the country, kept the audience in stitches throughout his one-hour presentation.

“And this is the uniform the stewardesses onboard Singapore AirAsia will wear,” he said, pointing to a picture of a smiling woman wearing a combination of the famous SIA baju kebaya and striking red AirAsia skirt.

While many in the audience laughed it off, industry observers took the view that it was a signal from Fernandez, following news reports of Malaysia Airlines having talks on a possible merger or a strategic alliance to form a global airline with British Airways and Qantas.

A Malaysian newsportal said that owing to global economic pressures, the airline industry was going through a consolidation period, with talks of mergers, acquisitions and bankruptcies dominating the business pages.

Najib said he was proud of Fernandez’s achievements, not only for his company but for the country as well.

Updated: 12:09AM Fri, 05 Dec 2008

http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=28266

I thought the uniform looks awful. The combination of blue batik and red skirts don't make sense at all. What do you think guys?

Wasn't Dato TF rehashing some presentation from something like a year back then ?

I distinctly remember someone posting here on MW the same slide

And what is it about not being able to fly to SIN city - AK already there no ?

Impossible is nothing so they'll probably continue to do nothing especially on customer service.

The livery is uglier :D

But its a nice dream. He should take over SQ and then divert all their traffic to KUL :D

and let MH use changi :yahoo:

The livery is uglier :D

But its a nice dream. He should take over SQ and then divert all their traffic to KUL :D

Agree to divert all the SQ traffic to WMKK.

Then KUL become a south east airport hub

It all starts from a dream, AK's success was a dream before it happened,

Takeover, Buyover, oooooh ! you think Temasek will allow that ?

wonder how will SQ handle AK's jibes... Possibly again another snub from a high horse!

In order for KLIA to be a hub.

Malaysia Airlines has to sweat/innovate to compete with SQ

Malaysia Airports has to be efficient (if they are today - why is Govt still funding 1bil per annum?? waste of taxpayer's money)

Tourism Ministry plays an important role!

Edited by yeadrian

Wasn't Dato TF rehashing some presentation from something like a year back then ?

I distinctly remember someone posting here on MW the same slide

And what is it about not being able to fly to SIN city - AK already there no ?

alamak! someone stole my pic! :finger:

400+ mil in loss and unable to secure funding for a buyout..

keep dreaming tony. <_>

Impossible is nothing so they'll probably continue to do nothing especially on customer service.

Tsk tsk tsk... Jibes jibes nothing but jibes. When AK first became AK (not referring to that sad case of an airline by HICOM), everyone laughed at them too. I admit I was one of them. But look at where they are today?! Not only you have AK, but you also have D7, FD and QZ too. It all started with a dream and I know TF felt the heat as well but that did not stop him from charging full steam ahead spearheading something which we never thought would work in Asia - an LCC.

So I suggest we all let AK and gang do their own stuff because they are not going anywhere in the near, or distant future. 400+mill lost? Which airline is not reeling frm the effects of the present global climate?

It all starts from a dream, AK's success was a dream before it happened,

Takeover, Buyover, oooooh ! you think Temasek will allow that ?

wonder how will SQ handle AK's jibes... Possibly again another snub from a high horse!

In order for KLIA to be a hub.

Malaysia Airlines has to sweat/innovate to compete with SQ

Malaysia Airports has to be efficient (if they are today - why is Govt still funding 1bil per annum?? waste of taxpayer's money)

Tourism Ministry plays an important role!

Well, as funny as i thought this piece of news was, never say never. Nothing is forever. SQ has been jibed and snubbed by high horses on several occassions but that doesn't mean they have to respond to every one of them. I am sure the heads are smart enough to know this was all tongue-in-cheek and not some slanderous lash.

Sign in to follow this