MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jens Breuer

Spotting trip to Asia (SIN/KUL)

Hi guys,

my name is Jens Breuer, I am from Mönchengladbach, Germany (you know Borussia Mönchengladbach?) and I'm new here on Malaysianwings. It's quite great to find such a great forum on the web - I'm sure you can answer all my questions! I tried to get the information I need with the help of the search functions - but this forum offers too much information .... :clapping:

I'm planning a spotting trip to Asia in February. There's a great selection of different, interesting destinations in that region. The plan is to visit two airports:

- Bangkok drop out due to political problems - I don't want to run a risk ...

- Hongkong has great traffic but the spots aren't that great. Is that right?

- Kuala Lumpur seems to be great ....

- Singapore seemed to be better in the past - but it's quite interesting at all - right?

any other suggestions? :help:

At the moment I think the combination of KUL and SIN seems to be the best choice.

I've got a question regarding the runway use in SIN and the spotting capabilities:

Is it right that only on 02L/20R approach shots are possible? When yes - the whole day or only half a day?

How much traffic uses 02L/20R?

Thanks for your help and best regards from rainy Germany, :drinks:

Jens

In February, prevailing winds from the North means that runways in use are 02L (the primary landing runway and also departure runway for traffic coming out of Terminal 3 and some of Terminal 1) and 02C (for some landings going into the Budget Terminal, Terminals 2 and perhaps even 1 . . . and also the bulk of departures).

The approach is best photographed from Changi Business Park (about a 15-minute walk from Expo Station on the MRT line) in the afternoon. The sun generally crosses over nearer to 1300hrs and if the weather is fine, one could photograph till around 1845hrs.

Mornings are best spent photographing from the viewing mall at Terminal One (depending on the state of renovation works currently ongoing) - the southerly position of the south relative to the equator ensures that planes are correctly lit most of the day. One could of course go sightseeing or eating or shopping.

Changi Coast Road parallel to runway 02C is fully double-fenced and there are no transport services there. Even if one goes there in a taxi, you are likely to be stuck there as empty taxis are few and far between - and you may also have to contend with sudden storms that could turn a blue sky into thunderstorms in less than 30 mins.

Most importantly, security patrols along Changi Coast Road are both stringent and regular and it is unlikely you could remain here for long. Further complications here - no food/drink kiosks, no toilets.

For those who persevere, there can be many interesting subjects - especially for the German coming from Moenchengladbach!!

Light cotton clothings, some kind of cap that offers protection for the face and neck, good walking shoes, an umbrella, a big and strong plastic bag that could protect your camera bag when hit by a sudden storm, drinks (tonnes of it) and food are all useful things to have.

Happy spotting .. . good choice of KUL / SIN combination.

KC Sim

First of all - thank you very much KC Sim! Great information! :good:

What about spotting 02C approach in the morning from the area around the ferry terminal (just looked Google Earth). It seems there are many parking spaces. Is it possible to walk in approach direction and to take photos?

... and one more question: Is the Viewing Mall at Terminal 1 inside or outside the terminal (perhaps with panes?)? Spotting is offically allowed there?

Best regards,

Jens, the guy from Moenchengladbach

.... further information are appreciated :yahoo:

Some open spaces near the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal do afford a decent view of landing traffic on 02C . . . but you will realise that there is also a very high-security naval base nearby. I would recommend that you remain very inconspicuous - clothings that are toned down in colour, keep your cameras in your bag until you are ready to photograph and not venture anywhere in the direction of the naval base and other military facilities . . . and do not photograph the military facilities.

This spot would be a morning photo location.

Viewing mall at T1 requires you to photograph through glass . . . but there is no problem with tinting and reflections. You are likely to get subjects such as Jetstar, Valuair, Air India Express, Xiamen Airlines, Air China, Cathay Pacific, Lion Airlines, definitely Garuda Indonesia, maybe Best Air, AirAsia, Indonesia AirAsia and Thai AirAsia . . .

KC Sim

Jens,

Welcome to MWings.

Iam doing a re-visit in January to many Asian airports, after doing much homework of the region,

and looking at what best mix of aircraft types and airliners, muesums, warbirds, military, stored

aircraft we could see this is what we decided on doing.

We will be away 2 weeks in total.

Airports: Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Halim & Jogjakarta.

Museums: Kuala Lumpur & Jogjakarta

Stored aircraft: Jakarta

Airside visits: Halim (Jakarta) Indonesia US$100 pp

We looked at Singapore but decided against it due to poor exchange rate, the traffic (most of it)

we've seem before, and the closure of parts of T1 viewing mall.

Photography 'outside' in humid conditions and the with no scanner (prohibited import) it becomes

difficult, not to mention the fickle weather conditions.

My thoughts anyway, others may have other suggestions.

Cheers Greg

- Bangkok drop out due to political problems - I don't want to run a risk ...

- Hongkong has great traffic but the spots aren't that great. Is that right?

- Kuala Lumpur seems to be great ....

- Singapore seemed to be better in the past - but it's quite interesting at all - right?

Bangkok - TERRIBLE viewing mall. Probably need a local to drive you to the fence next to the runway. ALthough at this time of the year the weather in BKK is generally cooler and visibly drier.

Hong Kong - Lanside, your best option would be the viewing deck on the roof of Terminal 2. Airside, well, EVERYWHERE is a good photo ops!

Kuala Lumpur - Viewing mall offers pretty decent views of the Main Terminal Building and the Satellite terminal in the distance. But bear in mind, the traffic in KLIA can be quite light. Nothing but MAS planes sprinkled with foreign visitors in between. I am sure someone will be more than glad to drive you to the fence.

Singapore - Thoroughly covered by KC thus far. There are also some more spots along Changi beach (for example SAFRA Sports Club) at the edge of the water to capture arrival traffic for runway 02C and that does not really incur security alerts. But like a lot of areas in that vicinity, you would need a car to get to it. PM me and perhaps I can arrange that for you when you arrive. The viewing galleries at Changi are a sore point for us enthusiasts. They are slowly but surely being made non-spotter friendly which is a shame, given the traffic volume several times of the day.

Comparing all the airports above, I will honestly tell you that my all time favourite is HKIA. The sheer variety and the constant flow of traffic is simply astounding!!! I am sure you would have a ball there.

Hi Greg,

PM me if u are confirmed coming to Jakarta because I'm based in Jakarta at the moment. Will be great to catch up with fellow MWingers.

Thanks for your replies ..... :rolleyes:

Singapore - Thoroughly covered by KC thus far. There are also some more spots along Changi beach (for example SAFRA Sports Club) at the edge of the water to capture arrival traffic for runway 02C and that does not really incur security alerts.

...any information ressources about these spots on the net or in the forum?

Comparing all the airports above, I will honestly tell you that my all time favourite is HKIA. The sheer variety and the constant flow of traffic is simply astounding!!! I am sure you would have a ball there.

I'm not the friend of photographing through panes - is there any chance to get planes during approach or on the ground in all wind situations? HKIA would be great at all! Any information ressources?

Greets, Jens

Edited by Jens Breuer

Our decision is made - we'll visit SIN and KUL in February! I hope the weather will be quite good and we get some interesting traffic!

If you have some further information or information sources regarding spots at both airports feel free to post it here. Every information is appreciated!

Cheers, Jens

Jens, take a look at the sticky in this subforum, there is a thread regarding spotting in KLIA. That should provide you with most of the spotting locations.

Best if you rent a car

Jens, take a look at the sticky in this subforum, there is a thread regarding spotting in KLIA. That should provide you with most of the spotting locations.

yes, of course. There are many information about KLIA - that's great.

The information about SIN in this threat are also great - and they were a good help for the decision flying to SIN. Perhaps somebody has more information about spots in SIN ( like the SAFRA Sports Club spot) ....

Greets from snowy Germany!

Jens

yes, of course. There are many information about KLIA - that's great.

The information about SIN in this threat are also great - and they were a good help for the decision flying to SIN. Perhaps somebody has more information about spots in SIN ( like the SAFRA Sports Club spot) ....

Greets from snowy Germany!

Jens

Wie ghetz Jens!

Like I mentioned, the SAFRA Beach Club is only accessible by car. You would need someone to DRIVE you there so give me a PM closer to the date and if I am not travelling during that period, I will more than glad to take you there in the evenings to watch the arrival traffic for 02C. Plus I will also take you to Changi Business Park to watch the arrivals on 02L, also another location accessible only by car.

Bear in mind the weather for Feb is still rather turbulent as it is just about the tail end of the NE Monsoon so you will have drastically shifting weather patterns of sunny one minute, dark and showering the next. Or on some days it is even a washout of constant rain and wind.

We? Hmm... Whose "we"?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

thanks for your reply! Mir geht's gut! :drinks:

Like I mentioned, the SAFRA Beach Club is only accessible by car. You would need someone to DRIVE you there so give me a PM closer to the date and if I am not travelling during that period, I will more than glad to take you there in the evenings to watch the arrival traffic for 02C. Plus I will also take you to Changi Business Park to watch the arrivals on 02L, also another location accessible only by car.

I think a rental car is necessary for the fast change of spots and shelter for the rain - so I think I'll have a car when I'm there. Thanks for your offer driving me around (shouldn't I have a car I'll come back to you). Also if I have a car it would be very nice to meet you there - when everything is finally booked I'll contact you!

Bear in mind the weather for Feb is still rather turbulent as it is just about the tail end of the NE Monsoon so you will have drastically shifting weather patterns of sunny one minute, dark and showering the next. Or on some days it is even a washout of constant rain and wind.

It is planned that our trip is between Feb 16th to Feb 22th (anytime in this time) and so I hope the weather is already quite stable. In our weather sources the Februar is the montch with the most sun hours over the year - so I think thats a good choice!

We? Hmm... Whose "we"?

yes - we! A friend will also come with me. Spotting alone is great - but with more persons it can be quite funny! Perhaps you join up with us! (It's time to improve my English skills) :yahoo:

Cheers,

Jens

That is nice... Bear in mind this is the tropics... In between the monsoons we have convectional rains so we can never get away from those irritating storms. PLEASE do PM me closer to your date I will definitely be more than glad to take you guys out there.

Ryan

Hi guys!

The Observation Decks/Viewing Malls in SIN, HKG and KUL are before immigration, yeh?

Just making sure as I am heading over there in January and just want to take a look

Changi here i come :lol::rofl:

I'll be heading to Singapore next week from Fri-Sun. Very excited since i've been planning since last time :p

Edited by Simon

Hi guys,

one question regarding the SIN Crowne Plaza Hotel:

Can anybody tell me the roomnumbers with the greatest view / spotting angle?

Cheers, Jens