MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Greg Wood

Malaysia A/L B738s to Perth in 2009 ????

Malaysian airline orders up to 55 Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

Malaysian Airline System said Monday that it ordered as many as 55 new Boeing 737-800 planes to help replace an aging fleet and expand operations in Asia.

The airline said it had placed a firm order for 35 Boeings, with an option for an additional 20 in a deal worth $4.2 billion at list prices.

The airline also has the option to swap the B737-800 series for the larger B737-900 configuration.

"We expect to take delivery of the first aircraft from September 2010 onwards," the chief executive, Idris Jala, said in a statement.

He added that the new planes would let the airline expand its network to places that previously were not economically viable. The aircraft will be used mainly for routes in Southeast Asia, the Malaysian domestic sector and China and India, Jala said in the statement.

"We will likely partially purchase the Boeing 737-800 on our own and partially lease them as that would give us the flexibility to manage our balance sheet and financing commitments, and sell some of them when the timing is right," he said.

Last week, the chief financial officer, Tengku Azmil Zahruddin, said that the airline planned to announce the orders within a month.

The airline also said it would take delivery of six Airbus A380-800 superjumbos in 2011.

Delivery was originally been scheduled from January 2007 to December 2008 but was delayed by wiring glitches that pushed Airbus into a loss.

Malaysian Airline System said a compensation agreement had been reached but gave no details.

The airline reported a net profit of 851.4 million ringgit, or $266 million, last year, ending two years of losses with turnaround plan that has produced better yields while reducing costs.

Analysts estimated that the airline's 2008 net profit would be 758.5 million ringgit, rising to 989.7 million in 2009.

The Perth connection:

Malaysian Air B738s ops to Perth

Allegedly, MH will be changing their twice weekly A330 night flights (KUL-PER-KUL) MH127/126 to 4x weekly B738s from June 2009. I say allegedly because I thought their B738s were coming in 2010.

(Subject to change as always) but very interesting indeed.... 5 hours over water in a 738 - No thanks!

This could be great news for Air Asia X if this becomes reality.

Regards Greg

Allegedly, MH will be changing their twice weekly A330 night flights (KUL-PER-KUL) MH127/126 to 4x weekly B738s from June 2009. I say allegedly because I thought their B738s were coming in 2010.

Regards Greg

I apprehend MH will receive B738 before end this year.

This B738 leased from other company / airlines

No more Australia run's for Airbus?? Bad for the Airbus guys... :angry: Dante, Ian, move on to next fleet??

Don't think customers would like it at all if it really happens. 5 hours flight on a single aisle narrow body is not going to please anyone. Not to mention if the NG's comes without the PTV's. Looks like we would have to wait and see

Ah...that flight no. MH 127...used to ply KUL-KCH-PER...would be nice if they have a stop over in KCH before heading to PER...From KCH to PER back when MH flew the 330, it took a little less than 5 hrs. 4H45M or somewhere around that...surely MH's 737-800 would have drop-down screens in Economy...that's the least lar...if got PTV even better! Even the 330, not all are installed with PTVs....then again our neighbour Garuda also flies their 738 to PER if I'm not wrong...Royal Brunei flies their 320 or 319 depending on their schedule...hehehe...narrow bodies rule!!

I don't think that the 738 will not equipped with PTV,bet that the 738s will install even a drop down LCD,just what MASWings had on the ATRs.

Actually, there's alot of talk out there that the 738 fleet will be equipped with PTVs in Economy Class. Well, all we can do is wait and see.

Actually, there's alot of talk out there that the 738 fleet will be equipped with PTVs in Economy Class. Well, all we can do is wait and see.

Seriously ? Where ?

What's wrong with narrow bodied plane for long flight?

yes i too do agree on that .Whats wrong with narrow bodied plane for long flights .Nwa was sending 2 to 3 757s to Nagoya .Give and take flight from Honolulu is at least about 7~9 hrs and still pax are traveling on them.So unless some of pax are clostrefobic then i m not sure.To my view As long as there is A toilet, A good seat, good meal, if at all it is possible there is ptv or some thin to do with entertanitment and a very safe flight I dont realy care much.We have to also take into consideration that some pax just take some sleeping pills and sleep through whole flight.Also maby just maby the price of the tickits might be cheaper then the wide body aircrafts charge pax .This is possible because landing and parking fees are lesser (cheaper) compaired to a wide body aircraft Parking and landing fees.

PS:Its just a view.Also please do correct me if i am wrong about the information which i have mentioned.

Regards,

Haansel

Hey Isaac,

Sorry I can't give you any reliable links yet. There is no official announcement by MAS yet.

But my father's golfing partner who is currently working as an engineer with MAS told me this. He says it's not yet confirmed, but PTVs on the 738 has a good chance.

I'll keep you updated the moment I find a source we can all depend on. Let's hope we get those PTVs.

Wait for my good news!

:yahoo:

Edited by Wilson Kook

yes i too do agree on that .Whats wrong with narrow bodied plane for long flights .Nwa was sending 2 to 3 757s to Nagoya .Give and take flight from Honolulu is at least about 7~9 hrs and still pax are traveling on them.So unless some of pax are clostrefobic then i m not sure.To my view As long as there is A toilet, A good seat, good meal, if at all it is possible there is ptv or some thin to do with entertanitment and a very safe flight I dont realy care much.We have to also take into consideration that some pax just take some sleeping pills and sleep through whole flight.Also maby just maby the price of the tickits might be cheaper then the wide body aircrafts charge pax .This is possible because landing and parking fees are lesser (cheaper) compaired to a wide body aircraft Parking and landing fees.

PS:Its just a view.Also please do correct me if i am wrong about the information which i have mentioned.

Regards,

Haansel

NWA do not and did not deploy any 752 between NGO and HNL. You might want to use CO instead as example.

Hey Isaac,

Sorry I can't give you any reliable sources. There is no official announcement by MAS yet.

But my father's golfing partner who is currently working as an engineer with MAS told me this. He says it's not yet confirmed, but PTVs on the 738 has a good chance.

I'll keep you updated the moment I find a source we can all depend on.

Wait for my good news!

:yahoo:

I hope it's true. And i also hope MAS will seriously consider the seat configuration of their 738, hope it's the the rumored C16, Y-150 because they would be extremely cramp.

Edited by Isaac

WHYY??? WHYYYY?? so what will happen to b772? and a333? what ops are they going to deploy for those type of a/c?

WHYY??? WHYYYY?? so what will happen to b772? and a333? what ops are they going to deploy for those type of a/c?

MAS is giving people more and more reason to fly down south and take either SQ or QF to PER. Or Air Asia X non-stop on the spanking new 333 :finger:

The B777's might still mantain their routes or maby even start new destinations but for aircrafts like A330, they will be on routes like Bali,Jeddah,Manila,Some Indian city's ,Dubai ,Karachi,Beirut,Istanbul and some eastern citys like soul and ect.Who knows that maby 1 day mas may opreate to Madrid again but i dont think it will happen now though.Then again according to some tech crew 1 B747-400,3 B777-200 and 2 A330-300's will be sitting at the airport till the world economy is back in to place.Till then B737-800's may fly for some time to destiantions below 6 or 7hrs(unsure about it though)and also the aircraft must be atleast 1\2 full to take off frm Kuala Lmpur which also includes the return destination load.

Regards,

Haansel

The B777's might still mantain their routes or maby even start new destinations but for aircrafts like A330, they will be on routes like Bali,Jeddah,Manila,Some Indian city's ,Dubai ,Karachi,Beirut,Istanbul and some eastern citys like soul and ect.Who knows that maby 1 day mas may opreate to Madrid again but i dont think it will happen now though.Then again according to some tech crew 1 B747-400,3 B777-200 and 2 A330-300's will be sitting at the airport till the world economy is back in to place.Till then B737-800's may fly for some time to destiantions below 6 or 7hrs(unsure about it though)and also the aircraft must be atleast 1\2 full to take off frm Kuala Lmpur which also includes the return destination load.

Regards,

Haansel

A 738 is unable to fly non-stop for 6 to 7 hours, and I believe passengers wouldn't like to be stuck in for that amount of time too.

Though somewhere along the way Malaysians, and maybe the world should acknowledge that no matter which type of aircraft - narrowbody or widebody, new or old - we fly, the main purpose is to get from A to B with the least hassle, time, and money, and of course the best service.

NWA do not and did not deploy any 752 between NGO and HNL. You might want to use CO instead as example.

Lot's of trans-atlantic flights to/from AMS now with the 757's:

NW/CO/DL/US all operate them across the Pond, and FI will open up a new 757 flight from KEF to SEA this Summer :blink:

..... and also the aircraft must be atleast 1\2 full to take off frm Kuala Lmpur which also includes the return destination load.

If true, that would be as close to being suicidal as one can get :)

Even the recent inspirations of healthy snek-boks, smarties/m&m seats etc will pale in comparison :p

What's wrong with narrow bodied plane for long flight?

Both 50m2 apartment and 1000m2 bungalow are habitable, the question is what will most people choose if choice is available likewise for wide body vs narrow body.

:drinks:

Both 50m2 apartment and 1000m2 bungalow are habitable, the question is what will most people choose if choice is available likewise for wide body vs narrow body.

Between a 100 sq.m apartment in a 50 unit building and a 50 sq.m apartment in a 500 unit building, which one will be your choice? :drinks:

Between a 100 sq.m apartment in a 50 unit building and a 50 sq.m apartment in a 500 unit building, which one will be your choice? :drinks:

What about 50m2 apartment in a 180 unit building vs 60m2 apartment in a 300 unit building? :sorry:

A 738 is unable to fly non-stop for 6 to 7 hours,

Actually it can. May be not for 7 hours but it can still fly for more than 6 hours. Some of Continental Airlines (CO) flight between EWR & LAX are operated using 738 and the flight usually is around 6 hours 15 minutes.

Lot's of trans-atlantic flights to/from AMS now with the 757's:

NW/CO/DL/US all operate them across the Pond, and FI will open up a new 757 flight from KEF to SEA this Summer :blink:

And CO is kind of the pioneer in deploying the 752 for transatlantic flights. They have been doing this as early as 2002 if i'm not mistaken.

I would go for widebodied plane anytime. But the truth is, 98% of passengers do not know what aircraft they are going to fly on until just a few hours before departure or when the plane has docked on the gate, but it'd be great if they can offer some of the basic amenities on narrowbodied planes that can be found on majority of widebodied planes these days (such as IFE).

I think the thought of MAS to deploy the 738 between KUL/TPE is crazy when every virtual airlines offering flights between KUL & TPE are using widebodied planes equipped with AVOD (such as BR, CI, SQ & CX). Besides, certain MAS flights to TPE are operated using 744 (MH91 to LAX), why the huge difference in the service provided ? MAS should cut the price as much as 30% for putting passengers on the 738 to TPE.

CO currently is in the process of installing PTV with AVOD system to all its 752 in both BusinessFirst and Economy Class.

Edited by Isaac