MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth Chong

Call Sign & ATC Frequency

1. In Malaysia & Singapore, what type of call signs been used? is it call sign with tail number or flight number?

2. What is the ATC frequency for Penang Tower?

Thanks for the information.

Edited by Kenneth Chong

callsigns are using with flightnumbers;

While making flightplan and radar tracking,ICAO codes is in use

MAS031-->malaysian zero-three-one

for the other paperworks such as ticketing and flightboards IATA codes is in use

MH031

Singapore is using SIA

SIA785-->singapore-seven-eight-five

and IATA code is SQ example SQ785 on ticket or flightboard.

if aircraft is in heavy class such as 777,A333,B747,DC10,MD11 etc, "heavy" will be add end of callsign;

MAS031/AC773-->malaysian zero-three-one -heavy

Heavy means, that aircraft can not make close turns,speed up or slow down like as medium planes.also Heavies produce bigger wake turbulance for following aircraft while landing and takeoff.

if an aircraft is not a commercial plane, it must be use "registration number or letters"

9M is in use for Malaysia, so if an aircraft which is private or business in use, must be use registration in VFR or IFR commercial or noncommercial flights. (some of business aircrafts can be use airtaxi in commercial)

at this time if an a/c has 9M-DPE regsitration, it would be use "niner -mike -delta-papa-echo" in first contact then can be use "niner-papa-echo" unless leaving that frequency.If need to change frequency, pilot must be present himself with full registration first contact. Procedure can be change in depends on countries local rules.

Singapore is using 9V-*** as you know and the same rules in use.

The most countries has own classified in first letter of registration, example T means training, C is clubs, G is Gliders,A is agriculture and they can be change in local language example Agriculture is "zirai" in Turkish, thatswhy all agriculture planes are begins with Z in Turkey, example TC-ZIU,TC-ZAA

also another factor is selecting codes; it is shows major airlines identification or dedicated letter of those airlines.

Example all Singapore Airlines aircrafts begins 9V-S**, all Malaysian Airlines begins 9M-M** but all Turkish airlines begins TC-J**

USA is using different code systems which are include all of rules above.

VHF frequencies as used in ATC communications utilize are of 'line of sight' hence they generally range to approximately 50-60 nm or much more if you are at a high altitude. The higher you are, the further its range basically..

well VHF, if I can remember, the formula is 1.25 square root of height of trasmitter + height of receiver......someone help correct me......

Hmm.. from my job line, VHF line of sight calc is 4 (sqrt (height transmitter)) + 4 (sqrt (height receiver)) = distance (in meters). We normally use this formula to calculate... This depends on the transmitter shooting power as well as receiver sensitivity, antenna gain and terrain obstacles.

However, wikipedia gave this: sqrt (17 (Am)) where Am is the height of antenna in meters... :unknw:

1. In Malaysia & Singapore, what type of call signs been used? is it call sign with tail number or flight number?

Hi Kenneth, for private flights, 95% of the time it's the tail number that is used as the callsign unless it's a big operator like VistaJets which have their own callsign..otherwise it would always be the tail number for private flights.

as far as I know ( also according as reading of enroute maps) it should be like that.

from changi;

-delivery/clereance for getting clereance

-ground

-tower

after takeoff

-Changi departure

-Singapore Center

-Kualalumpur Center

notice; delivery procedure would be suitable of agreement with Singapore WSJC and Kualalumpur WMFC It means, if Singapore has lower control, it can be handover direct WMFC center.Also another sceneraio, Changi and Johor are too close, after Changi take off, Departure can be handover to Johor App or direct Kualalumpur Center by traffic flow/density.FIR changes policies really interesting issues and aranging with airworthiness laws.

en route;

-Kualalumpur Center (Center hasn't got sub sectors but it has different comm frequency for some of routes on enroute map)

-Butterworth Approach

-Penang Tower

-Penang Ground

Lumpur Control: 123.75 ?

Where did you get the enroute maps?

Thanks

Interesting. I would like to know too.

OT: Always, during site visit at TM Gunung Jerai, I listen to Butterworth Approach through Parkair radio. The same at TM Bukit Beruang where I could listen to Lumpur Center/Approach(?).. Very interesting.. like a kid got a candy... :lol:

Interesting. I would like to know too.

OT: Always, during site visit at TM Gunung Jerai, I listen to Butterworth Approach through Parkair radio. The same at TM Bukit Beruang where I could listen to Lumpur Center/Approach(?).. Very interesting.. like a kid got a candy... :lol:

How did you tuned in that frequency?

Kenneth, I have a lot of charts and maps about around the world.The most of them out of date between 1 year to 6 years but usuable in my flightsim hobby. I've get charts and enroute maps from some of my friends who are working as pilot or dispacth in some airlines. (so my personnal friendships) Airline dispatch services or "jeppesen offices" periodical updating jeppesen sets one by one on each aircraft. After updating , out of dated charts or maps goes to trash or destroy process.

Why charts or maps are updates? becouse of, sometimes some of details can be change in procedures such as altitude,frequency, VOR stations locations or names or freqs....the list goes to thousands of reasons.

Unfortunatelly, I couldn't get newest charts or maps ast 2 years. My documents getting older day by day.But still %90 usuable in flightsim flights.

out of dated charts can not to be use in real life flights, this is strictly prohibited!

downloadable versions are in some of virtual aviation web sites.Theese versions are updates when necessary and all of them are handmade drawning "like as jeppesen" in PDF or JPG formats. Jeppesen is not allowed to publishing this charts on web sites. You can become subscriber of Jeppesen yearly but as far as I know it would be cost at least 2000euros/year. (during subscription JEppesen provide to all updates in subscribed set) Ofcourse it is not suggestible :)

Some of countries are giving free permission to reach official AIP documents. AIPs are not the similiar graphics/layout standarts with jeppesens but they are include the same navigational informations.

Jeppesen has been released JeppView for amateur users and flightsimmers, you can buy it as CD version.

How did you tuned in that frequency?

I didnt tune to that freq. It's already there. ParkAir transmitters and receivers. Well, the place is actually where all other radio stations and trunk radio companies place their transmitters and other equipment.

downloadable versions are in some of virtual aviation web sites.Theese versions are updates when necessary and all of them are handmade drawning "like as jeppesen" in PDF or JPG formats. Jeppesen is not allowed to publishing this charts on web sites. You can become subscriber of Jeppesen yearly but as far as I know it would be cost at least 2000euros/year. (during subscription JEppesen provide to all updates in subscribed set) Ofcourse it is not suggestible :)

Some of countries are giving free permission to reach official AIP documents. AIPs are not the similiar graphics/layout standarts with jeppesens but they are include the same navigational informations.

Jeppesen has been released JeppView for amateur users and flightsimmers, you can buy it as CD version.

I downloaded some from http://aip.dca.gov.my. but can't understand the chart. :( BTW, Where we can buy the CD?

I didnt tune to that freq. It's already there. ParkAir transmitters and receivers. Well, the place is actually where all other radio stations and trunk radio companies place their transmitters and other equipment.

Is it a public accessible area?

Kenneth, you can find in flight1.com, simmarket.com and the other flightsim shops. You can get some informations from jeppesen.com .also you may search on google.

I advise to make serious search on the net for your needed charts or maps before bought Jeppview. You may find the most of charts in several graphic formats in virtual aviation web sites as I said that before. You have to learn "how to read an aeronautical chart or map" before all becouse of whatever form you get the charts, basicly all of them include the same informations. google will be help you for this issue too.

For WMKJ

Ground - 121.8 mhz

Tower - 118.15 mhz

Approach - 124.7 mhz

Atis - 123.05 mhz

Thank you. BTW, Where did u get this information from? Because from what i get from DCA website is

Johor Ground - 121.8 mhz

Johor Tower - 122.5 mhz

Johor Approach - 123.05 mhz

Atis - 124.7 mhz

Edited by Kenneth Chong

Sign in to follow this