MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Branden Ng

New Airport for Negeri Sembilan?????

Tuesday November 11, 2008

Proposed terminal needed to replace Sepang as it reaches full capacity

By SARBAN SINGH

SEREMBAN: The Negri Sembilan government has proposed that an airport be built to replace the low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) in Sepang.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said the state had held talks with Sime Darby Group and AirAsia over the matter.

“We are all agreeable that we need a new airport to replace the LCCT,” he said at a press conference yesterday.

A working paper had been submitted to the Transport Ministry.

Mohamad said although the authorities had in principle agreed to the proposal, a comprehensive paper would be tabled to the Cabinet for final approval.

The construction of the new airport, on a 2,800ha area at the state’s central corridor in Labu, would be financed by the private sector, he said.

“AirAsia is already facing some difficulties at the LCCT as its volume of passengers has almost reached full capacity. This way, Negri Sembilan will also have an airport of its own,” he said.

The three parties hoped to start talks with Malaysia Airports Bhd soon.

Sime Darby owns the land where the proposed airport would be built.

Mohamad said the state came up with the idea after the Federal Government rejected a request from AirAsia to move its operations to the old aiport in Subang.

Asked if it was viable for the state, Sime Darby Group and AirAsia to proceed with the project amid the uncertain economic outlook, Mohamad said it was a good time to do so as construction costs would be low.

Mohamad said that with the completion of the dual-track rail project between Seremban and Gemas by 2012, more people would relocate to the southern part of the state and the demand for air travel would also increase.

saw a news regarding to this topic yesterday in Nanyang Daily (local edition), Minister Ong has confirmed this news.

Is that meaning the new LCCT gonna be in Nilai territory instead of Sepang????

On paper it is good investment from my point of view..But I dont know about technical aspect if it construct at Nilai, near to Sepang, either it will create congested traffic or not at Sepeng air space..

If it gonna happen,,well KLIA will become white elephant..

But, if we refresh our memories,,did Federal Government approve LCCT extension project ??

I demand an airport for Tronoh because it has a university with students from Vietnam, Africa and Turkmenistan so AirAsiaX can fly from Ashgabad directly to Tronoh to ferry the students without further overcrowding the LCCT....also Tronoh used to be a huge tin mining area, that ought to bring in the tourists right? :pardon:

I demand an airport for Tronoh I tell you! :D

oh dear, this is not a good idea..in fact its bad...how did this guy even proposing a new airport for his own state? Negri Sembilan is already so close to KLIA...a way to entice voters maybe?

this is hilarious!!! the airport is getting further and further!!!

Trying for new record feat - most number of white elephants built maybe??

i think what the authorities should do was expand the LCCT and extend the aerotrain until LCCT. Convenience for travelers an also can save some of the taxpayers money. Stop the nonsense and act like a man....just my humble opinion

Please excuse my question ...

But why did the government reject Air Asia´s attempt to relocate ops to SZB ???

What´s behind this ?

A few polititians living close to SZB being afraid of additional noise near their homes ???

Are there any serious reasons as to why SZB is a NO-GO ?

(certainly not from an operational point of view as SZB has seen much more traffic with big aircraft before ...)

Edited by Juergen Witte

IINM commercial jet operations are not allowed from SZB, hence all you have are turboprop operations. Not really to block AK, at least not per se. Why so is another story.

Edited by H Azmal

I thought we have talked/discussed about this before somewhere....

Anyway.. this is another political crap. don't give a damn..

Yeah. I second this KLIA expansion. Just continue with this plan, and we may beat Changi... muahahahaaha!!... :rolleyes:

Then, I may have to consider to relocate somewhere near KL or Sepang... :p Too much temptation....

Edited by Yusoff

Oh god... why can't they just extend / expand the present LCCT rather than build another white elephant nearby?

Malaysia is the world "riches" country. NVM for "them".

Sign in to follow this