MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

SQ to charge for 'preferred seat'

Never thought SQ would even do that!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Need leg room?Pay US$100

SIA will start charging fee for a guaranteed 'preferred seat'.

EXTRA legroom on Singapore Airlines now comes at a price - US$100 (S$147) for a return flight.

In a move that has upset some frequent fliers, the airline is charging a fee for a guaranteed 'preferred seat'.

These are essentially exit row seats that passengers can purchase before check-in, SIA said.

The new policy applies to all flights, except those within South-east Asia. Flights served by the Boeing B777-200ER has no exit row seats.

The airline said in a statement on Monday that that while before, preferred seats were only available on a request basis, 'the new option now offers a guarantee of assignment, subject to terms and conditions, on a first come, first serve basis'.

Not all will be eligible though.

Under mandatory safety requirements set by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, passengers who ask for exit row seats must meet the following requirements:

- Be at least 21-years-old.

- Be fully able-bodied, and capable of opening the exit doors and moving quickly, or reaching and passing through the adjacent emergency exit.

- Be able to understand and follow the safety instructions in English.

- Be in good health at the time of check-in, boarding, and during the flight.

- Not pregnant, or carrying infants, or using an infant seat belt.

- Not under the influence of any intoxicating substance at check-in, boarding, and during the flight, as determined by ground and cabin crew.

- Not require an extension seat belt because of large body size.

As airlines around the world grapple with a global financial crisis that has hit air travel everywhere, experts expect that more and more carriers will turn to sideline revenues to boost the bottomline.

These can take various forms, from charging for food and drinks which low-cost carriers today, to making passengers pay for blankets and other amenities which some carriers in the United States now do.

Straits Time

Anyone know if this only applies to exit row seats? Or do we have to pay to pre-book any seat within a flight now?

Unlike airlines that have a similar practise (UA comes to mind), SQ isn't exempting elites from this charge either, which represents on some levels a devaluation of the PPS and Krisflyer Elite Gold tier levels.

Huge thread on SQTalk atm:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5394

ericchai: The charge only applies to emergency exit row seats.

Edited by Keith T

This is just ridiculous, I couldn't believe it when I first read it. One of the many reasons why I have decided to forgo my KF status.

I'm now back on Enrich/MH!

Edited by Edwin P K

I can't believe SQ has gone so LCC-like! I mean even cost cutting MAS isn't resorting to this! A hundred US dollars isnt cheap... With that amount, I could easily fly a return flight to BKK on AK! I doubt many people would book it and most of it will just be taken by people when checking in...

VS have been doing it for years as have US and other EU airlines. Its just another way to screw us for more money :-(

I read somewhere it could be because SQ are not doing too well financially.

Probably a step into trying to improve that?

Probably a step into trying to improve that?

USD500-1000 per flight assuming they get takers.

But damage to brand and goodwill = priceless...

Its a demand and supply issue. There are probably quite alot of people who don't mind paying the USD100 for abit of room on a 14 hr flite.

Yes its another way for an airline to maximise marginal revenue.

KLM has been doing this for almost a year now, and figuring it's still 'active', they do make money on this; it's mainly for the bulkhead- and emergency-exit row seats :)