MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ignatius

AirAsia X, Perth-KuL inaugural flight shame!

The very tight fit in the cabin is not surprising . . . and passengers booked to fly longhaul with D7 should (hopefully) be mindful of this when the book their flights. When one flies anything more than 4 hours in such conditions, it begins to take its toll on the body. This cramped condition - and perhaps the airline will describe it as cosy - is probably similar to the cabin of European charter carriers such as Britannia Airways.

The seats are so narrow that "leg-dividers" are installed - this is a first time I am seeing such a feature, and these are probably there to ensure that the passenger with the tendency to sit with his/her legs a mile apart does not intrude into the space of the next passenger. Can someone confirm if these "leg-dividers" are only for seats at the bulkhead or are these installed on all seats? Passengers sitting next to the aisle should wear elbow-, shoulder- and ear-guards because these are likely to come into conflict with the meal- and duty-free sales carts.

I remember a situation I have witnessed when I flew several times on Thai Airways International's 10-abreast B777-200s and Emirates B777-300 . . . meal carts routinely knock into all these body parts - on TG, the crew members probably are so used to it and automatically let out a "sorlee sir" but do not miss a heartbeat or a step and carry on to the next row of seats with another "sorlee sir" ready at the tip of their tongues. On EK, such "collisions" went without response from the crew members and the passenger in question had only the opportunity to glare and nurse their bruised parts. Now you know why I always want a window seat.

At the end of the day, one gets what one pays for . . .

On a personal note, I find the dark upholstery very gloomy. I have flown AK's A320 and B733s on numerous occasions and they were gloomy enough. Now on a much larger plane, it looks even "darker" . . . reminds me of the 1980s when I transited Bombay enroute to Europe and the seats in the transit area were black (in an area that is dimly lit) and I remembered a fellow transit passenger commenting that from a short distance, these seats look like tombstones.

About the "Xs" all over the plane . . . funny that they are likened to bandages . . . SIA totally avoids the letter "X" in their aircraft registration because "X" is equated to cancellations. So you can imagine it is not funny for someone with similar feelings about the letter "X" travelling on a plane registered 9M-XXA on an inaugural flight and the flight is delayed/cancelled. And D7's 24th A330-300 (if and when this is acquired) will be 9M-XXX.

When these go on the European routes, you can be sure they will enjoy good loads as European backpackers are quite tolerant of cramped spaces in spite of their bigger physique compared to their Asian counterparts.

KC Sim

The seats are so narrow that "leg-dividers" are installed - this is a first time I am seeing such a feature, and these are probably there to ensure that the passenger with the tendency to sit with his/her legs a mile apart does not intrude into the space of the next passenger. Can someone confirm if these "leg-dividers" are only for seats at the bulkhead or are these installed on all seats? Passengers sitting next to the aisle should wear elbow-, shoulder- and ear-guards because these are likely to come into conflict with the meal- and duty-free sales carts.

I think those are not leg dividers, its just where they put PTV, storage space for it. I assume this is only at the bulkhead. Why would they install leg divider? Extra weight...I'm just shock that they actually have PTV!

I might be wrong

Edited by Seth K

KC Sim

looking back the pictures, I think the "leg-divider" is for bulkhead seat only. It's for the IFE storage in bulkhead seats....

I think those are not leg dividers, its just where they put PTV, storage space for it. I assume this is only at the bulkhead. Why would they install leg divider? Extra weight...I'm just shock that they actually have PTV!

I might be wrong

You weren't wrong. It is indeed PTV that you saw. D7 intends to go the VX way hence the installation of PTV in all seat.

By the way, any idea what system D7 is using for its PTV ? It looks like Thales to me judging from the screen design but if i'm not mistaken, in a press release not so long ago i think they said they will be using Panasonic eX2 system.

You weren't wrong. It is indeed PTV that you saw. D7 intends to go the VX way hence the installation of PTV in all seat.

By the way, any idea what system D7 is using for its PTV ? It looks like Thales to me judging from the screen design but if i'm not mistaken, in a press release not so long ago i think they said they will be using Panasonic eX2 system.

Yes D7 is using the Thales' TopSeries IFE. https://www1.online.thalesgroup.com/col/Air..._inquire08.html

In total, the airline will have the Thales IFE system on 25 A330 aircraft with first delivery scheduled for October 2008 and program completion in 2013. The system features audio and video on-demand functionality with 8.9 inch touch screen displays at every seat. Passengers will enjoy a comprehensive selection of entertainment including games, interactive moving map, shopping and in-seat chat. USB connection is also available at each seat for games controllers and power charging of personal electronic devices. The TopSeries system is a lightweight system compared to earlier generation systems. The design goal of the product is to continually realize new operating efficiencies and revenue generation opportunities for the airline.

The IFE isn't free is it?? If not, do you just swipe the old credit card or call crew and pay in cash??

One-time fee of RM25 when booked with your ticket or RM30 onboard. Not sure the payment method for onboard though.

And that screen can be used to order food as well as income stream for advertising, from Alan's interview with D7 CEO this morning. The interview can be found here.

One-time fee of RM25 when booked with your ticket or RM30 onboard. Not sure the payment method for onboard though.

And that screen can be used to order food as well as income stream for advertising, from Alan's interview with D7 CEO this morning. The interview can be found here.

Cant seem to find the IFE booking on their booking site though. Does Airasia 360 inflight magazine have their movie list or something?

What does -XXA do between PER flights?

One return flight here a day seems pretty relaxed roster for a LCC A333.

Currently its doing 6 x weekly flights to PER,come Nov 12 it will be doing PER and MEL while -XAA will be doing OOL and HGH.

So, it's MYR 25 pay per view? Or a whole bunch of movies?

So, it's MYR 25 pay per view? Or a whole bunch of movies?

Maybe just let you watch the flight path only. :p

The impression that I get from the talk show is rm25 is all you pay to view movies and play games. They get extra revenue from all the ads between movies.

Edited by Azri M.

The seats look REALLY cramp (not the pitch, i mean the width)...

3-3-3 configuration...OMG...I think it is so pack...with the super narrow aisle.

C'mon guys, it's only 9 seats in a row (3-3-3), while I've flown plenty of flights on QR with 2-4-2 configuarion on the 330, so should be similar...KLM, like Emirates, is using 10 seats in a row on their 773's... :angry: (don't know if fuselage width is the same).

Pitch-wise, it could be another story :blink: but will see that next year June :pardon:

Pitch-wise, it could be another story :blink: but will see that next year June :pardon:

From the talk show as well, Azran said the pitch for AirAsia X economy is 31", thats 2 inches more than the AirAsia, and the same pitch as British Airways. So I guess thats not too bad then.

C'mon guys, it's only 9 seats in a row (3-3-3), while I've flown plenty of flights on QR with 2-4-2 configuarion on the 330, so should be similar...KLM, like Emirates, is using 10 seats in a row on their 773's... :angry: (don't know if fuselage width is the same).

Am doing the 16-hr nonstop HKG-JFK next Friday, hope the 3-3-3 on the CX B773-ER works well. :)

Am doing the 16-hr nonstop HKG-JFK next Friday, hope the 3-3-3 on the CX B773-ER works well. :)

Sincerely hope you have not requested nor will be cursed with a window seat there ! :)

If it is to be so, then very much look forward to your impression (possibly a TR ?) when you get back ;)

The way things are going LCC and legacy, we'll all have to learn to walk sideways like a crab on board :)

The Ife doesn't look enticing. It looks like using 2004 technology :angry:

Jeng jeng jeng! Here are the most awaited interior photos of 9M-XXA: (taken from this blog,

From the back: (with IFE on every seat)

c5dw3976copykf6.jpg

[

If my conjecture is true, then the XL seats are really small and just a little bit bigger than the usual economy seat on other airlines. :blink:

Cripple 7 fuselage is significantly wider than the Scarebus 330. In fact the Cripple 7 fuselage shares almost the same dimension as the B747 minus the front upper deck bump.

Just slightly off-topic.

Anyone know where -XAA is?

Apparently 3 of last week's OOL flights have been cancelled and CX A333 today operated KUL-OOL-KUL on behalf of D7 as CX8129.

Can't be cheap chartering a CX A330.

strange that they don't charter from MH... but then again there must be a reason, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Is this for real - low cost yet they are chartering from CX, how does it work - do passengers check in at LCCT then are ferried to KLIA to embark on to the aircraft or is CX's aircraft parked at LCCT for passengers to embark???

Just slightly off-topic.

Apparently 3 of last week's OOL flights have been cancelled and CX A333 today operated KUL-OOL-KUL on behalf of D7 as CX8129.

Just slightly off-topic.

What about the HGH flights? Are they also cancelled and CX-chartered? Or were they temporarily operated by XXA? Just FYI KUL-HGH can be operated by a 320 non-stop.

strange that they don't charter from MH... but then again there must be a reason, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Is this for real - low cost yet they are chartering from CX, how does it work - do passengers check in at LCCT then are ferried to KLIA to embark on to the aircraft or is CX's aircraft parked at LCCT for passengers to embark???

I'd imagine that the CX could just taxi to the LCCT and board passengers by stairs? Could it be because CX just so happens to have a spare 333 on the ground at that time? Or does CX do maintenance at KUL or something? Maybe MAS has no spare birds or wanted to charge a very high price just because D7 is their competitor?

Anw, this would be great for D7 pax (today) paying peanuts for a CX flight, especially then XL pax... this flight would be operate by CX crew right? Wonder what happened to the pax on the other 3 canceled flights? MH to BNE or just cash refund?

One of those flights thats was chartered by MAS was KUL- BNE on a 744. My sisters were on that flight and they got full service for the price of AK ticket to the Gold Coast