MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ignatius

AirAsia X, Perth-KuL inaugural flight shame!

Just came back from PER this morning, did MH126. According to cabin crew, pax from D7 transfered to MH was having a jolly good time in EY. Flight was almost full, half of them was D7 pax I guess. Thanks D7 for your business! :p

OT, btw, AK 320's etops rated?

Wow... all D7 passenger tranfered to MH???

how much AKX must pay to MH?

hehe interesting!! you pay low price but you get '5 star airlines'

Thanks Izmir for the explanation, hope this kind of problem will no repeat again..

Wow... all D7 passenger tranfered to MH???

how much AKX must pay to MH?

hehe interesting!! you pay low price but you get '5 star airlines'

Thanks Izmir for the explanation, hope this kind of problem will no repeat again..

Not all, some luckier ones are also transfered to SQ then from singapore on ak back to Kul.. that is luckier :pardon:

I'm just surprised the Malaysian media hasn't jumped on this yet. Usually they'd at least carry a report whenever any incidents occur on MH flights.

Edited by W Goh

Just wonder is the plane put back in service or left in the hangar in KUL? Any update?

9M-XXA is on its way back to Kuala Lumpur at the moment.

The A330 arrived Perth around 1225LT. There were TV crews at the AirAsiaX check-in counter and i saw a news helicopter filming 9M-XXA arrival.

IMG_0194.jpg

It just departed back to Kuala Lumpur around 1425LT

IMG_0250.jpg

Edited by MIR

It's back in service.. now in Perth... hope no de ja vu!!?? :pardon:

I thought already declared on the Proforma Invoice: 'Goods Return For Repair, No Commercial Value'.... :D

Thanks for the clarification/explanation Azmir. Hope no more problem.

OT: Pardon for my ignorance. Why this one's rego is XXA, instead of XAB since the leased 'Sir Freddy' is XAA?

Bravo to D7 team, they have managed the unfortunate event very well. For an LCC to have to pay full fares (on other airlines) so that the passengers can get a flight back is really great. I know some other LCC might not done such a thing (maybe just a refund or put them on the next day service). So this is really an excellent service here.

I believe, Airbus has to sorta be blamed for this fracas as the plane has just been handover. D7 does not escape the blame either, as they should do a test flight before bringing it into service.

Anyway, maybe this should be a reminder for D7 to check everything first before flying.

Last but not least, great job Azmir!

SQ will be flying those A330 very soon, with the unfortunate event that happened to AKX brand new A330, for sure SQ going to scrutinize their soon-to-receive new A330 from top to bottom.

hi,

glad to hear everything is ok and a very well and comprehensive report by Azmir. sad to hear such problem occur on the new bus. i just recently read in the papers about its rollout from toulouse and problem had struck. hopefully none of this will happen again. and kudos to the pilots on board :)

After finding the actual culprit (warnout O ring seal in G Hyd line),carriedout system check and was cleared by Maint Eng to depart from PER.

Thanks for explaining, capt. Azmir !!! Why would we, MWers and aviation-lovers, 'fire' on you ? :huh: This can happen on any airline/flight...

How can a O-ring seal be warn-out already, after less than 100 flight-hours ? :blink: :o

Kudos to AKX for not rebooking their passengers to the next(and delayed)day's flight, but 'give' them 5-star service on MH/SQ :pardon:

Good job Capt Azmir!

Will 9M-XXA be operating Melbourne?

Current operations will be :

For flights to MEL and PER operated by 9M-XXA while flights to OOL and HGH by 9M-XAA

Expecting delivery of 9M-XXB in Dec 08 and by Mid Dec 08 to Late Jan 09 XAX/D7/AKX ops will be flown by 3 x A330-300 with daily flights to PER,MEL,OOL.

^^ Yeah, does anyone have cabin shots? [Waiting excitedly for someone to post a TR about the new bird...] =D

Thx Azmir for the inside info! Glad everyone was okay.

Does anybody know how long would the delays snowball for? (or not at all?)

Not all, some luckier ones are also transfered to SQ then from singapore on ak back to Kul.. that is luckier :pardon:

Lucky for an aviation buff.. ;)

But for 'normal' people, I don't think so.

By the way, how many more A330's are D7 expected to get?

Edited by jani

That's true. As a normal bloke I'm already dreading my 16-hr nonstop HKG-JFK next week.

That's true. As a normal bloke I'm already dreading my 16-hr nonstop HKG-JFK next week.

Hmm... now I don't think I'm an 'aviation buff.' But my convoluted routings (NRT-DXB via SIN and LHR for instance - see JAN-FEB '08 TR) and addiction to FF miles can hardly be considered 'normal.' And i do love flying but would only have a vague idea about planes. So I've no idea what I am. :pardon: :huh: :D

Back on topic: Sorry to hear the inaugural return didn't go too well. Glad that things worked out in the end. :)

Edited by Keith T

By the way, how many more A330's are D7 expected to get?

24 more

First media report on this incident:

From thestar.com

Tuesday November 4, 2008

AirAsiaX’s new Airbus from Perth hits a glitch

By ROYCE CHEAH

SEPANG: The anticipated tour of AirAsia-X’s new Airbus A330 ended up as a computer slide show after the plane failed to touch down on schedule here due to a delay in its departure from Perth.

AirAsia-X chief executive officer, Azran Osman-Rani told the media, guests and AirAsia staff waiting at the low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) here yesterday that the plane was delayed in the interests of safety.

The plane was to have touched down at the LCCT at 1pm but it only arrived hours later.

“Warning lights for a certain component lit up as the plane was flying here from Perth. The pilot then decided to return to Perth.

“Back there, the onboard computer system was restarted and everything was rechecked. This took six hours, including getting a new time slot to depart,” Azran said.

In an e-mail sent to The Star, a passenger claimed the plane had encountered hydraulic problems.

Asked if he was disappointed with the performance of the first Airbus A330 that AirAsia-X had acquired, Azran said such delays did not necessarily impact the ability of the plane to fly.

“We must test everything. Even if it is going to take three, six or 24 hours, I would not risk it for the safety of the passengers,” he said.

Azran said affected passengers, both from Kuala Lumpur and Perth, were provided with the necessary assistance such as replacement flights and hotel stays.

AirAsia-X had taken delivery of its first A330 on Friday in Toulouse, France. The delivery of the second A330 is expected in mid-December.

Yesterday was AirAsia-X’s first anniversary of commercial service.

Well, i'm just glad that everybody is safe .. Kudos to the crew ..

Funny thing is .. me and gavin had our moment with hyd failure on the A320 yesterday night .. lol ..

Thanks for explaining, capt. Azmir !!! Why would we, MWers and aviation-lovers, 'fire' on you ? :huh: This can happen on any airline/flight...

How can a O-ring seal be warn-out already, after less than 100 flight-hours ? :blink: :o

Kudos to AKX for not rebooking their passengers to the next(and delayed)day's flight, but 'give' them 5-star service on MH/SQ :pardon:

Good on you Capt Azmir.

Air Asia X is really good on its flt recovery actions and they spare no expense to ensure their passengers get to their destination in the most humanely expeditious time.

MasCharters have already operated two B744 charter flights for them to Australia in the past few weeks. In my dealings with the AKX operational team I found them very professional and pleasurable to work with. They also pay on time everytime. :drinks:

The problem with their inaugural flight is just pure bad luck and they have my sincere sympathies. It can happen to any airline.

Edited by Nik H.