MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Firefly Launches Complimentary In-flight Refreshment Service

Hopefully no more complimentary despatch to KUL!

===

October 16, 2008 22:43 PM

Firefly Launches Complimentary In-flight Refreshment Service

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 16 (Bernama) -- Firefly, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines, launched its complimentary in-flight refreshment service Thursday.

Its head of communications, Angelina Fernandez said with Fireflys latest aircraft, the ATR 72-500,the arline is able to offer the complimentary in-flight refereshments at no additional charge to passengers.

"We would like to be known as an airline of low fares with incredible value," Fernandez said at the launch.

For flights under 45 minutes, passengers are served juices or hot beverages and for those taking longer, it is juices or hot beverages served with an option of cupcakes/light snacks on request.

Firefly operates from Penang and Subang airport at present.

According to Fernandez, from Oct 26, Firefly will fly from Subang to Johor Bahru, Koh Samui (Thailand) and Pekan Baru (Indonesia) while from Penang, it is to Medan and Banda Acheh.

"By the first quarter of next year we will have a total of 34 destinations. We are also exploring code-sharing possibilities with other airlines to attract European pasengers," she said.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=365148

Been served before this launch ceremony took place..I been took flight from TGG - SZB on 13 Oct night..Serve an orange juice with muffin..Picture will be upload soon at my TR..

Thanks.. :drinks:

Interesting that FY will offer light snacks in domestic flights - it makes its parent MH look bad with their peanuts and OJ:P :p :P

Not to mention with a fleet of new ATR 72 and operates from SZB, even though it may look like a ghosttown...

"By the first quarter of next year we will have a total of 34 destinations. We are also exploring code-sharing possibilities with other airlines to attract European pasengers," she said.

wow 34 destinations??? go go go FY

stay tune with me & ashmil with TR from TGG to SZB with new inflight service.

fy_main.jpg

Yes ,this is very good development.With the brand new and very "canggih" ATR 72-500 hope FY will give AK a run for its money.Hopefully they stick to their business plan ,to be a community airline instead of as a low cost or boutique airline.

The reason I say the FY ATR 72-500 "canggih" because last week I overhead the conversation between an FY ATR 72-500 and Butterworth Area controller that the ATR was very "advance : with GPS update nav",they were enroute to PEN from SZB while I was descending towards AOR.

Perhaps they don't sell any junk foods anymore...

They have moved the on-board sales section on their web...

But i think its killing the cabin crew coz they wont able to gain commission...

(Do they get commission for on-board sales?? Its a yes for AK crew)

I hope the muffins are warm...gives a very nice touch, just like those warm cookies on some US carriers (UA, CO).

Mushrif, you must try eat this muffins!! smell like strawberry. Muffin + juice = good combinations!!!! fresh fresh!

Nice....

Will AK bleed? Let's see

Will AK bleed with the new service by FY?I dont think so,but maybe just a slight bruising yes.Its too small yet to cause any bleeding unless it gets the much rumored B734 from MH to supplement its ATR service then definitely AK will be on a comabat mode.There are a few pilots from FY now in AK and from what we gathered its not that rosy.

Nice....

Will AK bleed? Let's see

Will AK bleed with the new service by FY?I dont think so,but maybe just a slight bruising yes.Its too small yet to cause any bleeding unless it gets the much rumored B734 from MH to supplement its ATR service then definitely AK will be on a combat mode.There are a few pilots from FY now in AK and from what we gathered its not that rosy.

Nice....

Will AK bleed? Let's see

Will AK bleed with the new service by FY?I dont think so,but maybe just a slight bruising yes.Its too small yet to cause any bleeding unless it gets the much rumored B734 from MH to supplement its ATR service then definitely AK will be on a combat mode.There are a few pilots from FY now in AK and from what we gathered its not that rosy.

Way to go FY !!! :good:

Hope to be able to promote this great looking airline soon, by wearing their outfit here in Europe (hint hint Alan :pardon: )

more related news

Firefly to announce code-share with MAS in Nov

by Gan Yen Kuan, 17 Oct 2008 3:32 PM

THEEDGEDAILY

SUBANG JAYA: Budget carrier Firefly will announce code-share arrangements with its parent Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) and other airlines in the second week of November, Firefly head of communications and marketing Angelina Fernandez said.

She said the imminent code-share arrangements would enable Firefly to tap the European travellers segment. In the airline industry, a code-share agreement enables a flight operated by an airline to be jointly marketed and sold by one or more other airlines.

"We are working on a code-sharing platform with Malaysia Airlines, as well as with other airlines through Malaysia Airlines. They are connecting us to the international market.

"There is a lot of potential from the European market, especially (for connections) to Terengganu and Thailand," she told reporters after launching Firefly's complimentary in-flight refreshments here yesterday.

It was reported in August that Firefly was in talks with China Airlines and Cathay Pacific for possible code-share agreements.

Firefly currently operates 14 routes out of its hubs in Penang and Subang. Fernandez said it would add five new routes beginning Oct 26, namely Subang-Johor Bahru, Subang-Koh Samui, Subang-Pekanbaru, Penang-Banda Aceh and Penang-Medan.

On top of the five new routes, Firefly would add another 15 routes to Thailand and Indonesia by the first quarter of next year, she said, adding that Johor Bahru would become its third hub by then.

At the event yesterday, Firefly announced that passengers onboard all of its flights could enjoy drinks and snacks free of charge effective Oct 1. Fernandez said such complimentary refreshments incurred an additional cost of RM5 per passenger on average.

However, she said the carrier was able to absorb the additional cost using the savings it derived from operating the new ATR72-500 turboprop aircraft, which consumes much less fuel compared with the Fokker 50.

Wah wah...bukan main lagi korang dua ek! (Wow,both of you!)

Looking forward to your TR,Sofian and Ashmil.

Anybody know what food being served donot tell me its Snack box

Its just cupcakes or sandwiches I think....

Wah wah...bukan main lagi korang dua ek! (Wow,both of you!)

Looking forward to your TR,Sofian and Ashmil.

Newly establish duo..hehehe.. :D :D :D ...Wanna join become trio... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Emm don't expect too much from low cost carrier/community airline..Everything be serve in very basic form..To me if FY serve me a Snack Box, it be an extra point from me to them..

Newly establish duo..hehehe.. :D :D :D ...Wanna join become trio... :lol: :lol: :lol:

hahaha :lol: :lol: Insya-Allah,Will do,upon completing my studies later!

AK will not bleed over FY’s muffin and sweetened juice drink. However, if MH code share with FY is smart like QF and JQ may have an impact on AK.

Deviation from the basic LCC business model may be argued as an improvement or advancement. RM5 for the muffin and drink should give FY RM2.50 to RM3.00 profit. Historically, MH cost will increase to wipe out the margin sooner than expected. It will be interesting to review this decision in a few years time.

:drinks:

However, if MH code share with FY is smart like QF and JQ may have an impact on AK.

That would be a great idea, eh?

Maybe MH can pass some of the 738's to FY and MH can concentrate only on their better yielding routes while leaving FY to compete with AK.

I'd really like to see that happen.

That would be a great idea, eh?

Maybe MH can pass some of the 738's to FY and MH can concentrate only on their better yielding routes while leaving FY to compete with AK.

I'd really like to see that happen.

738 in FY color; means FY will operate from KUL instead of SZB.

I tot FY is concentrating on SZB only? No?