MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
James Gota

Were in no rush says MH

Let time tell the outcome.

So far I predicted the downfall of LGW-KUL, LHR-Langkawi / Penang, KCH-PER and I have several more down the pipeline. I can even go into detail why they are in the red for cash cows like ZRH, LHR and LAX while others are making money.

STUPID is a very strong word to use and it should not be lashed around lightly.

Baseless bashing aside, those with inputs and with constructive comments to add are making them from a simple business standpoint. MH is an airline that SHOULD be run like a business and not a government stat board. I admit that things are changing but there are still several chunks of old schooled mentality from the yester-years preventing MH from going forward.

I am a firm believer in the investment of brand equity, which MH has so far flushed down the toilet with their tactic in recent months. 5-star value carrier? Hardly. PR spiel? Very much so. Best Cabin Crew? Heard it all before so let's move on... The award is a few years old already. Basking in one's old glory is a very sad form of publicity.

So no one is saying that MH is stupid. However, they are hardly showing themselves in a good light with every business decision that they are making.

You have basically explained a factor that people here are not considering, MH is government linked and sometimes it has obligations to fulfill for the country that could sometimes not be beneficial to MH as a company but could go ways to improve Malaysia's image.

Sure recent tactics are not very desirable to some people, but the fact remains is that they are making money. But like you say, time will tell whether this will work long term.

About the bold part, are you sure? Browse this forum again. Heck, just browse this THREAD again.

You have basically explained a factor that people here are not considering, MH is government linked and sometimes it has obligations to fulfill for the country that could sometimes not be beneficial to MH as a company but could go ways to improve Malaysia's image.

Sure recent tactics are not very desirable to some people, but the fact remains is that they are making money. But like you say, time will tell whether this will work long term.

About the bold part, are you sure? Browse this forum again. Heck, just browse this THREAD again.

Singapore Airlines and Qantas can be considered GLC (to respective countries) as well, but is there such an "obligation" to serve the government as in to fly to certain routes even though it is known to be unprofitable?

MH is government linked and sometimes it has obligations to fulfill for the country that could sometimes not be beneficial to MH as a company but could go ways to improve Malaysia's image.

Of course, keep consoling yourself like that. Which is basically what MH has been doing for God-knows how long... And where did they end up? If they want to be a global player, they need to THINK GLOBAL and not be so inward looking. While IJ is attempting to make sweeping changes, there are certain factions that are still adamant to to this change. What IJ needs to do is to adopt a "shape up or ship out" mentality, and carry it out for real.

Once again I have to bring in SQ as an example because these 2 airlines share the same history but some how some where they skewed off into vastly different directions. Why one might ask?

If you want to bring the government into the picture, let's do it for the sake of this argument. SQ has been told to swim on its own because Lee-Inc will not be dishing out any bail out packages. Temasek as an investor is one tough cookie and demands for nothing less than a certain amount of return anually on their investment in SQ. Consequently, the airline is left on its own to run its own daily business because the people running it knows best about the aviation environment, not some government technocrat placed there simply because it was time to be.

By opening up the airport to anyone and everyone who wants to come in, in the grand scheme of things it does greater good for the country because the spin off benefits are for all to see. I shan't go into detail here before we veer too far off-course.

Now look at MAS and the "gomen"...

Marketing and brand managemnt is a mess (or almost non-existent). The reason I keep harping on this issue it is because MANY PEOPLE do not realise just how important this often ignored part of the equation is! In fact, so important is this small little bit it is like a bolt holding the engine to the wing of an aircraft. Small, but ESSENTIAL. One campaign after another all stalled because there was no momentum to carry it forward. Of course there were moments of glory for the airline when awards for Best Cabin Crew were won for a few years in a row, a testament that sometimes MAS is indeed capable to achieve great things. But what next? Till today they are still advertising that award that was last given out in what... 2007 for a survey that was conducted in 2006? In case no one realised, 2008 is coming to an end.

And next comes protect protect protect protect.... Need I say more? Protect MAS some more till KLIA is so devoid of airlines flying into the airport. So while MAS has the monopoly on many routes out of KUL, is this any good for the country? Penny wise pound foolish perhaps?

TF and AK seems to have the right sense of mind to push the airline forward and singing the mantra of opening up the market for the overall benefit of the country. It seems to be working well for him.

I ache for MAS. However in this day and age we cannot keep using obligation to country as an excuse anymore. For the betterment of the Malaysian image? How many military charters does one have to do? While SQ also does charters for SAF, they have at times turned down the request because their operations simply cannot suppport it. If it has to be done, SQ is paid in market rates - the same rates Mariah Carey would if so she decides she wants a SQ 747. This explains why airlines like BI, BR, CI, TG and QF have also been roped in for roles like this one.

So move with the times.

And for God's sake speak to an image consultant the next time they need to revamp cabin interiors.

Malaysia must reinvest itself to stay alive

By getting out of the lowfares rubbish

Join Skyteam

for bussiness class start using the Herringbone configuration fits more pax in economy

upgrade the cabins for all planes That includ smarties

provide IFE on all seats in all planes like Air Canada

Get a new livery

better planes nobody would want to stop at TPE to LAX when you can go quicker on SIA

New Equipment like 777lr for obviosus reasons

Makes Mh better :drinks:

I am not justifying MH being a company that has to help the govt is good for their business. I was merely trying to point it out to those who criticize MH for their woes but don't take into account the govt issue.

Again I have to say, if you can think like this (no disrespect to you, I know you are in the industry), obviously people at MH can too. But there are factors that you don't know within the company.

In all seriousness, try and get a job with MH lah :D

Maybe MH needs a Singaporean to help them out!

Hey guys.

It's not about criticizing here or giving constructive ideas. The problem is...whether Malaysia Airlines know our grievances or not! All the Mwingers should play a more proactive roles just like what the NGO for public transport did. They gather all the information and members and started up a association and attended some big events out there. Check out Transitmy.org. It's the matter of whether MH Listen to us or not...

tak pe...lepak la...masih ada banyak masa lagi... anyway..kita ni kan negara kecik.... orang kite mestilah pakai pesawat MH.

With that kind of mentality - MAS will always be behind SQ, CX, QF

..... It's the matter of whether MH Listen to us or not...

Well, I believe MH has now modified / compromised on snek-boks contents from it's original concept. More importantly, we don't hear of those patronizing 'this is healthier for you' and dodgy '94% approval rates' themed spins anymore

So, at risk of being overly flattering to our own MW "keyboard warriors" team, I will opine that MH does listen to us :)

Well, I believe MH has now modified / compromised on snek-boks contents from it's original concept. More importantly, we don't hear of those patronizing 'this is healthier for you' and dodgy '94% approval rates' themed spins anymore

So, at risk of being overly flattering to our own MW "keyboard warriors" team, I will opine that MH does listen to us :)

Indeed, MH do listen to passengers, but not the ideas we are discussing here. Modifying/compromising SNEK boks is a tip of the iceberg. There are millions more stuff needed to be rectified, eg.

a. IFE

b. Presentation of Food

c. Ground Service

d. Consistency

e. Marketing

f. and many more.

anyway..kita ni kan negara kecik.... orang kite mestilah pakai pesawat MH.

Not on international travel though. On the domestic sector, yes we are pretty much stuck with MAS (for those who don't like no-frills airline concept). But if we are going overseas, they are many more choices. MAS is an expensive airline. Just compare their air fares to CX, CI, BR, EK, QR, EY, SQ, KL etc.

Isaac, you're right and yet MH is lack behind CX and SQ in theirs' inflight product. For instance, CX had launched a new economy class with a new shell to protect passengers space. I dont see any new product from MH at this moment.

Edited by Kenneth T

Agreed with Ryan. MH management and decision is unlike what is taught in MBA school.

Establishment of Maswings and firefly supposed to de-couple MH from gomen dictate social responsibility. In theory, 'national service' is no longer a valid reason for MH poor performance.

Action taken by IJ&co in the last few years has been unconventional and against the current trend for legacy airlines. If MH is performing relatively better than comparative legacy airlines, decisions made by IJ&co is justified. However, trading branding for short term profit can only last for a few quarters. Despite lowering of oil price, MH fuel surcharge will remain high, will cut more capacity to increase RASM.

We must admit; MH is no longer the airline we once knew, and have to accept the fact MH is in the 2nd league for the next few years.

:drinks:

We must admit; MH is no longer the airline we once knew, and have to accept the fact MH is in the 2nd league for the next few years.

Agreed. MAS is a very sad airline :(

yes Snack box counts wink wink nudge nudge :clapping:

Indeed, MH do listen to passengers, but not the ideas we are discussing here. Modifying/compromising SNEK boks is a tip of the iceberg. There are millions more stuff needed to be rectified, eg.

a. IFE

b. Presentation of Food

c. Ground Service

d. Consistency

e. Marketing

f. and many more.

I must have to aggree with you any body in the forum can Start their own any airline to Rival MH Tht will teach them a lesson :yahoo:

Do you really think that something seemingly as simple as ordering aircraft is something that the MH board cannot visualize/think/plan?

I'm sure there is a reason for them doing (or rather, not doing) this. If people like you and me on an internet forum can think of "solutions" to their problems, what makes you think the think-tank of MH cannot?

The way people talk here it is as if MH are doing all this on purpose. They are not stupid people.

In my personal opinion apart from fuel consumption there's no critical threat to MH on fleet management. With declining oil price at least well into 1st quarter in 2009, there's indeed no rush for MH to announce new fleet plan. Plus it give them rooms to breathe and evaluate all options and delivery plan more carefully and Airbus and Boeing might come up with better offer, who knows, well at least I dont.

Other MH main problem is rooted from Marketing & Promotion department. I still believe with right marketing and Promotion MH can actually fill their plane and still make a profit. Only Malaysian and 'Plane Freak' like us know about MH and its Destinations. Average Joe on the street doesn't even know MH exist.

For comparison

SQ got Singapore Girl Icon.

TG got exotic Thai hype.

As for EK, well we all know early 21st Century is indeed The Era of Dubai. Let alone Emirates Stadium of Arsenal.

Do you know how effective Singapore Girls ads? Once I show one of the Singapore Girl first class TV-ad to my International Marketing Lecturer and while watching the TV-Ad, he said it has indeed wake his interest to fly with SQ first class without doubt.

Why people still fly with LH? Twice as expensive as MH, worse service, worse IFE, worse seat pitch. and yet LH still posting profit and people still fly with LH.

AirAsia wont do as well today if they screws up their Promotional campaigns.

Your products don't have to be great to become success, but your Promotion must be greater than great.

I must have to aggree with you any body in the forum can Start their own any airline to Rival MH Tht will teach them a lesson :yahoo:

May be someone should start (if not already) lobbying the PM (i.e. Rosmah) in waiting for a new LCC operate from SZB.

Your products don't have to be great to become success, but your Promotion must be greater than great.

Agreed with you, in hospitality business, marketing is critical.

LH is known for its efficiency, ontime departure/arrival and dependable service. LH F terminal at FRA is still unrivaled by any other airline.

:drinks:

with all this - should we also think of the "not interested in aviation" folks? There are lots of people who don't give a hoot on what type of aircraft they fly in even though they fly long haul a lot, all they care is - comfort, catering, connection, service, airline, ground and onboard, lounges, ffp's etc... Dare I say those type of travellers will outnumber us!!

It kinda shows that it's us folks here that are critical that a good airline must always have the newest and best"est" aircrafts in fleet. (some of us even choose to fly on certain type of aircrafts when making travel decisions) :pardon:, not touching in details like noting aircraft rego,when manufactured, engine type, and bla bla bla(to a lot of people)....

marketing is paramount, but without the product and services to substantiate your marketing plans - it's a given flop especially for hospitality industry or for any industry for that matter. Marketing will bring success only if substantiated with the products they market/promise...

MH is definitely lagging because the SQ is glistening in glory and success continously, (in comes SQ's signature "many firsts"..., newest aircrafts) Once upon a time, they were once a part of each other and then they divorced - back then MH was a strong and equal contendor to SQ. This is only comparing to SQ because of past links.(Not going into details on comparison with other airlines of the same legacy......)

With the current gap - it will need more than just new aircrafts for mh to bounce back.... (already ppl are wary against 10abreast seating in a new 77w aircraft - goes to show new aircraft is not everything...) but it's important to us folks and keyboard chairmans/ceo's/advisors in here!! :good:

Well If I have the money :angry:

May be someone should start (if not already) lobbying the PM (i.e. Rosmah) in waiting for a new LCC operate from SZB.

It kinda shows that it's us folks here that are critical that a good airline must always have the newest and best"est" aircrafts in fleet. re!! :good:

Not really, my grandpa, who once worked in KBR's cafeteria, often gives me the impression that old a/c = unsafe. He often emphasises the relation of newness of SQ's a/c to its safety record (minus SQ6 of course :p), and also gives me the stereotype that Soviet-built a/c = unsafe. Back then I would take these as facts, but then again, nowadays I understand that mx is more important than anything else.

However I reckon that general public tend to have such stereotype and fondness to new a/c the way my grandpa has. Just look how AK emphasise their new all-Airbus fleet, and also how the world turn crazy for SQ's A380. Having a fleet of young a/c is often an advantage in this competitive market.

Too bad even those 738s and 380s will not be seen here in MH livery for another couple of years...

Not really, my grandpa, who once worked in KBR's cafeteria, often gives me the impression that old a/c = unsafe. He often emphasises the relation of newness of SQ's a/c to its safety record (minus SQ6 of course :p), and also gives me the stereotype that Soviet-built a/c = unsafe. Back then I would take these as facts, but then again, nowadays I understand that mx is more important than anything else.

However I reckon that general public tend to have such stereotype and fondness to new a/c the way my grandpa has. Just look how AK emphasise their new all-Airbus fleet, and also how the world turn crazy for SQ's A380. Having a fleet of young a/c is often an advantage in this competitive market.

Too bad even those 738s and 380s will not be seen here in MH livery for another couple of years...

i think grandpa knows a lot about aviation than normal peeps do... he can cite sq's crash, fleet age and safety records, state of russian aircrafts, he may be a hidden aviation enthusiast! :rolleyes:

AK's marketing "new airbuses" pitched to that newer aircrafts meant better comfort - kinda like new cars with their "plastic" smell against older cars. This edges AK up a notch against older MH's aircraft...

Non aviation enthusiast look at A380 as a new biggest aircraft in history, a new model, a new sensation - with all the hype and news involving throughout the development of the 380 - though negative at a lot of point but it did create a sensation and definitely a lot of attention even to non aviation enthusiasts. SQ's marketing definitely had the foresight of this milestone and rode on it.

Definitely concur with you on fleet age as an important factor for any airline. I look forward to seeing mh's 738 with their graceful winglets gracing out skies soon !!

Edited by yeadrian

still more non aviationists still prefer 747 :drinks: A380 it still uses some 747 technology <_<

747-8 will still be the game braker once its rolled out and make the A380 anicent technology :drinks:

i think grandpa knows a lot about aviation than normal peeps do... he can cite sq's crash, fleet age and safety records, state of russian aircrafts, he may be a hidden aviation enthusiast! :rolleyes:

AK's marketing "new airbuses" pitched to that newer aircrafts meant better comfort - kinda like new cars with their "plastic" smell against older cars. This edges AK up a notch against older MH's aircraft...

Non aviation enthusiast look at A380 as a new biggest aircraft in history, a new model, a new sensation - with all the hype and news involving throughout the development of the 380 - though negative at a lot of point but it did create a sensation and definitely a lot of attention even to non aviation enthusiasts. SQ's marketing definitely had the foresight of this milestone and rode on it.

Definitely concur with you on fleet age as an important factor for any airline. I look forward to seeing mh's 738 with their graceful winglets gracing out skies soon !!

Talking about marketing, AK and SQ A380, TF did an entry in his blog some wks back about his experience flying (splurging?) in R/ Suites on SQ 380s. (Apart from MH, it seems that he also flys on GF, for its relatively cheaper fares).

And also he noted how MH is losing the plot by confusing itself and the market of what it really wants to be (possibly more detrimental long term effects to the brand). You can check it out in his blog.

When MH finally choose a350/787 A350 for me A350 as MH CAN get them for free even though I'm a 787 fan. It would put pressure on AAX to choose the a350/787. Then the public can benefit as they can fly on technological advanced aircraft.

Sign in to follow this