MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Izanee

MAHB Aims To Bring Five Long-haul International Airlines To KLIA

That BA flight in 1982 (I think) flew from Heathrow via India, then KUL (Subang then), towards Perth, Melbourne and finally Auckland.

I flew to Melbourne in 1983 on a BA B742 which took us from KUL to SIN, SYD and finally MEL.

Yes it is,it's the Speedbird 9,occured on June 24th,1982.

Get Delta to go to KL because it has the equipment and also another oppotunity to be Skyteam's SouthEastAsia hub. :yahoo:

Asian routes radiating from NRT will be handled by NWA after the merger. We all know this airline's experiences with KLIA in the past with the DC10s. I do not see a future for them in this market because SIN does ok for them presently. It would be unfeasible in this econimical climate sending 2 NWA planes all this distance to have 2 destinations 380km apart served. It is like SQ or MH flying 2 separate planes to Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo - NOT DO-ABLE.

Bring in Aerolinas Argentina's so MH can codeshare to go to Argentina as MH isn't very successful :sorry:

And let AR bear the burden of this poor performing route? Again this airline (AR) isn't exactly in the best of shape so to see them launching any new routes in the near future is near impossible let alone deploy their A340s all the way to KUL!

Send in Air Europa so it could strengthen the skyteam hub also. :pardon: I'm not sure if Air Europa is in skyteam :help:

These are my 5 airlines and I don't even mention AF. With these 5 airlines it could stregnthen Sky team and also bring new carrriers :drinks:

This is interesting as they are an associate member of the Skyteam alliance. Presently they do not have any presence in Asia and their very lean long haul fleet is already spread out to N/S America. To launch scheduled flights to Asia they would probably need to purchase some more aircraft although I do believe that they had the occassional charter to Phuket in the not too distant past. Also their model as a leisure oriented carrier might just do fine for the KUL market.

Let Kenya Airways to come it will make the skyteam base stronger :drinks:

These are my 5 airlines and I don't even mention AF.

KQ would be an interesting newcomer for KUL, although they operate to SIN already (same as NW)

AF: forget about them, as KL is the dedicated airline for KUL within the 'group'

How about CO ? they only operate to HKG and MNL AFAIK...

Maybe SA ?

So, can only think of 3 and not 5...unless, maybe, VirginBlue is interested (in view of the cooperation with AKX), which would make 4... :pardon:

KQ used to fly to BKK. I don't think they fly there now. SIN was planned i think....but that hasn't panned out yet.

Isn't Continental going to Star <_<

KQ would be an interesting newcomer for KUL, although they operate to SIN already (same as NW)

AF: forget about them, as KL is the dedicated airline for KUL within the 'group'

How about CO ? they only operate to HKG and MNL AFAIK...

Maybe SA ?

So, can only think of 3 and not 5...unless, maybe, VirginBlue is interested (in view of the cooperation with AKX), which would make 4... :pardon:

AirAsia gets nod to fly to India

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia has finally conquered its “last frontier” with the Indian Government giving the low-cost carrier approval to fly to India.

AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said the airline would start selling tickets to Tiruchi in Tamil Nadu at midnight on Wednesday with the first flight to take off on Dec 1 at 7.40am.

“It will be a daily flight and we are looking at even adding a second flight now as the initial response has been tremendous,” he told reporters Monday during a press conference here.

Special promotional prices for the flight will cost RM49 one-way while the normal ticket price will cost about RM200 one-way.

Fernandes said plans are now in the works for the next one and a half years to fly to many more destinations in India including Madras, Madurai and Kochi with AirAsia.

“AirAsia-X meanwhile will fly to places like New Dehli, Bombay, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Calcutta,” he added.

He said AirAsia would initially invest between RM5mil to RM7mil to set up infrastructure in India and he is confident that it will do well.

“This is an exciting period for us and I’m looking at a high load factor of at least 90% for our first flight,” he said.

Fernandes said it had taken the airline seven years to reach this stage and with India now in its pocket, his mission as CEO is complete.

“I had said then that India would be the last place we need to get to. It is now over to AirAsia-X to grow the business to Japan, South Korea, Europe and the United States.”

Fernandes said he expects a huge growth in Indian tourism in Malaysia and that he is not worried about the global economic slowdown.

“I believe that you have to be innovative. While other airlines are cutting back we are expanding and can take up their slack.

“Maybe some of the population in India cannot afford to fly with us, but there are many more who can and this is the market we are after,” he said.

Fernandes also said, in response to recent Malaysia Airlines (MAS) advertisements, that his battle with MAS is over and that it is time to move on. - The Star

I thought all A320s are ETOPS Capable?

well most twin engine aircraft are ETOPS capable... but in Oder for the company to gain the ETOPS there are so many procedures and requirements that must be followed...

October 29, 2008 23:48 PM

KLIA Now Offers Flights To Papua New Guinea

SEPANG, Oct 29 (Bernama) -- The Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) is offering connections to Papua New Guinea from today as Air Niugini, the national carrier of Papua New Guinea, made its first landing at KLIA tonight.

The carrier operates one flight weekly, flying from its hub Port Moresby to KLIA every Wednesday, using the Boeing 757 aircraft with 189 seats.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd's managing director Datuk Seri Bashir Ahmad said Air Niugini's presence marked a new market for KLIA as it was the first airline to offer flights to the Pacific Islands in the Oceania region.

"Malaysia Airports hope to attract more airlines from the region in future to fly to Malaysia," he said in his speech at the welcoming ceremony of the arrival of the first Air Niugini here, Wednesday night.

His speech was read by the Malaysia Airports' senior general manager (operation services) Datuk Azmi Murad.

Also present was Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Seri Panglima Lajim Ukim who said the direct connectivity to Port Moresby through Air Nuigini will further grow relations between Malaysia and Papua New Guinea.

Malaysia is the fourth largest investor in Papua New Guinea and the new flights available between the two countries will create new collaborations in the near future, he said.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=368033

Why is the former 'AK flying to India' thread merged into this thread? Different topics.