MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Gavin Andrew David

Air Asia Retires the B737

Fuhh,AK is now officially retiring their B733 for Malaysian ops.Gonna miss them so much,and i could recall my last flight with AirAsia onboard 733 back in 2006.

Well, they do published this news in The Star today. Its kinda very sad to see the 737-300 retires. :(

The full news:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...&sec=nation

Yes ,certainly there will be fond memories on the B733.Had a couple of major incidents while flying that aircraft in AK, (Rapid decompression,failed nose gear,ACP fail),anyway its about time they retire the old faithful B733 from AK,too many MELs anfd yellow stickers,starting to be a major maintainance nightmare for the operating crews.,plus its uneconomical as compared to the A320.I flew the B733 for 3 years in AK before flying the A320/A330.

Yes ,certainly there will be fond memories on the B733.Had a couple of major incidents while flying that aircraft in AK, (Rapid decompression,failed nose gear,ACP fail),anyway its about time they retire the old faithful B733 from AK,too many MELs anfd yellow stickers,starting to be a major maintainance nightmare for the operating crews.,plus its uneconomical as compared to the A320.I flew the B733 for 3 years in AK before flying the A320/A330.

I think the the most notable one would be LAT crash at KKIA a couple of years back.

I think the the most notable one would be LAT crash at KKIA a couple of years back.

I believe it was skidded rather than crashed.Aircraft was 9M-AAP,had an MEL on one of its trust reverser (one trust reverser inop),capt Indon (Ex AdamAir- has since left the company) while FO in now a capt on the A320.After that incident,AK had an aircraft landed short at MYY due to windshear (capt very experienced ex-MH Capt who has sinced retired from AK)

BDO flights are operated by QZ CGK-KUL-BDO-KUL-CGK, so still on the 737s lah. last time there were 3 flights, two originating from CGK and one KCH-KUL-BDO-KUL-KCH.

no wonder all my monthly domestic flight from bki-sdk, bki-twu change to a320

The PCN at BDO is unable to take the A320,so for the time being this sector is serviced by QZ untila solution is reached about the PCN.Even the B733 ops out of BDO is weight limited.

Does anyone know the current status of 9M-AAF?

It was retired from the Malaysian fleet over two years ago but does not appear to have been sold.

Geoff

I think it is an appropriate sent off for the B737. It was to many a pioneering aircraft, in which AK has grown from.

The replacement aircraft A320s are quite popular air bus. Most of the BA intercontinental flights are using this model. However, since it was heavily used, creature comfort inside such aircrafts is nothing much to be desired on. Its badly worn out seats is as close as to the next wooden bench seat you would see in our schools. Hope AK will have a better maintained fleet and continously upgrade or refurbish its interior as much as possible.

There is a fleet of grounded B737-300 at the AirAsia hangar in KUL. Most already have the company logo removed. Should be visible from Jalan Pekeliling, except that that part of the road is no longer accessible to the public. Another option is to look to the right just before touchdown on 32R.

"NOW THAT'S REAL 5-STAR"

Hahahahaha... all these puns being directed at MAS is really funny.

Got to love AK for that :)

There is a fleet of grounded B737-300 at the AirAsia hangar in KUL. Most already have the company logo removed. Should be visible from Jalan Pekeliling, except that that part of the road is no longer accessible to the public. Another option is to look to the right just before touchdown on 32R.

Aren't they all leased? If logo is removed, maybe the lessor is just parking the planes there pending finding new customers for them. AK might be offering free storage to get out of their leases.

Was at Jln Pekeliling the other day trying to do some spotting near the construction area. It was nearly impossible due to the haze/dust. Got a shot of the AK B733 though.

dsc3591m.jpg

Does anyone know the current status of 9M-AAF?

It was retired from the Malaysian fleet over two years ago but does not appear to have been sold.

Geoff

9M-AAF is one mysterious plane. There's a bigger story behind the ownership I believe. Suffice to know that it is flying for some airline somewhere in Africa. :drinks:

Believe it's 32L Capt? The 737s you see there are all awaiting a new buyer for the airframes. The engines have all been removed and returned to their respective owners. :drinks:

Another option is to look to the right just before touchdown on 32R.

Believe it's 32L Capt? :drinks:

My bad. It is 32L.

Tang,any bulis patrolling there ?

No bulis seen but I didn't hang around too long as I couldn't get any shots of the arriving planes. There was once I managed to snap some shots right at the security checkpoint without any problems even from the security though.

Edited by S M Tang