MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
rayner

Last day for Malaysian Helicopter Services

Well-Done :good: :good: :good:

Last day for Malaysian Helicopter Services

MIRI: Yesterday, Sept 30, was the last day for the Malaysian Helicopter Service (MHS) after serving 28 golden years for two multi-national oil companies - Petronas and Sarawak Shell Bhd (SSB) in Miri.

000049292.jpg

FINAL SERVICE: Captain Abdullah (left) with Yap.

Miri-based manager Captain Abdullah Ishak said during its 28 years of service, MHS had clocked up a total of 150,917:28 flying hours from 285,566 sorties.

The number of passengers ferried was 2,501,3741 while the cargo transported weighed over 46,000 lbs.

Abdullah said the Miri operation comprised one-third of the total operations of MHS in Malaysia which has bases in Bintulu, Labuan, Kerteh and Kota Bahru.

“Since its operation in 1981 in Miri, MHS has been providing excellent service. It only encountered one major accident off Bintulu in Jan 29 last year which resulted in just one death,” he said when met yesterday.

According to Abdullah, although their contract with SSB and Petronas had expired, MHS would retain one seat of the two Super Puma aircraft it had in Miri to provide support service for Bintulu and Labuan.

In all, Miri MHS has 120 staff comprising 15 pilots and 12 engineers with the rest being supporting staff. Thirteen of them have opted for retrenchment with the company paying them a total of RM3 million in compensation.

The rest are deployed to Bintulu, Labuan, Kerteh, Kota Bahru while others including Captain Abdullah remain in Miri.

Abdullah said the last flight bringing 10 Shell staff from B11/E11 Complex landed at Terminal 2 of Miri Airport at 2.50pm yesterday.

Offshore installation manager Nobel John Anding and operation mechanical technician Jackson Thomas Ubu were among the last 10 passengers of MHS. All the passengers were satisfied with the good service provided.

Meanwhile a stalwart pilot Captain KC Yap was happy and pleased to have served the MHS for the last 20 years.

“No doubt Miri Airport is one of the busiest in the country but the services are efficient,” Yap said.

He said he was sad to leave the city for his homeplace in Kota Bahru, especially his colleagues and friends from other airlines and helicopter companies.

“Miri is a very nice place with many tourist attractions and places of interest,” Yap commended.

MHS engineer Duncan Leeth from Scotland, who is among those who had served for 30 years, is retiring soon.

The Borneo Post

Edited by rayner

Which heli company got the new contract?

Those company have Eurocopter I guess been awarded new contract..hehehehe.. :D :D ..Just kidding..

Did last year/last 2 year (??) accident on MHS SuperPuma accident at Miri offshore made this company lost contract?? after 28 years serve for that sector..

Edited by Ashmil Abd Ghani

Which heli company got the new contract?
Awan Inspirasi Sdn Bhd :pardon:

http://www.energycurrent.com/index.php?id=4&storyid=8204

On the first of October the operation will move over to a new company called Awan Inspirasi, with three S76 helicopters and two S92 helicopters operating out of Miri. MHS's two AS332L1 helicopters will then move over to Peninsular Malaysia, being based at Kerteh.

So take your pictures of the MHS machines now as they won't be around for much longer!

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....st&p=190627

Wakakaka Captain Yap is in the papers!! My dad used to know him back then in Miri, i go to the same school as his daughter too. He owns an aviation theme pub in Miri called threshold 2 zero back then, my fav hangout place... Lotsa plane decor in there, runway floors, aircraft models, aircraft paintings blablabla..

Edited by Walter Sim

Wakakaka Captain Yap is in the papers!! My dad used to know him back then in Miri, i go to the same school as his daughter too. He owns an aviation theme pub in Miri called threshold 2 zero back then, my fav hangout place... Lotsa plane decor in there, runway floors, aircraft models, aircraft paintings blablabla..

how bout now?

“Since its operation in 1981 in Miri, MHS has been providing excellent service. It only encountered one major accident off Bintulu in Jan 29 last year which resulted in just one death,” he said when met yesterday.

I personally find the phrase "just one death" somewhat disturbing and insulting to the family of the deceased! MHS have lost the work because they actually had 4 major accidents in a very short period of time. One involved an S61 helicopter just after take off from Kerteh (May 2005). Another involved AS332L2 9M-SPA being flown into the water on a flight from Kerteh (Nov 2006). On services from Miri they had two ditchings with Super Pumas with "just one death", AS332L 9M-STT (Jun 2005) and AS332L2 9M-STR (Jan 2007). The customers in Miri lost faith in their services and brought in CHC to take over.

As mentioned previously CHC have now set up a Malaysian Company with local businessmen called Awan Inspirasi Sdn Bhd.

The aircraft will have Awan Inspirasi titles and logo but will retain the CHC colours.

I am now enjoying my time flying the S92 out of Miri and KK :drinks:

Edited by Steve

I thought these choopers operate out of Lutong airport?

I heart this place before..Now I cant remember where..I can goggle around soon for that.. But what make Lutong special about??

i remember my dad told me about Lutong airport is like the Shell Anduki airport in Seria(Brunei). In the 70s-- there're even a flight from Seria to Lutong using the Brunei shell helicopter. It's for the Brunei shell employees who have meeting in Miri. i guess the operation become to expensive so they just rather scrap it off.

Sign in to follow this