MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azri M.

Survey: M'sian air travellers likely to chat with seatmates

Do you chat with your seatmate on the plane?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you regularly chat with your seatmate on the plane?

• Yes I normally initiate the conversation
    • Yes esp. when my seatmate initiates a conversation
    • I only chat with someone I knew
    • Nah, I would rather enjoy the peace and quiet

It is interesting to see your view on the survey that says, Malaysians and Phillipinos are quite a chatter on the plane. What about you?

Survey: M'sian air travellers likely to chat with seatmates

Sep 29, 08 6:23pm

Most travellers oppose the use of mobile phones on aeroplanes but would not mind striking up a chat with their seatmate, according to a survey released today.

Malaysians and Filipinos were the most likely to chat with their neighbours, while Thais, Taiwanese and Hong Kongers were the least likely.

"Malaysia and the Philippines are probably the most extrovert of these Asian markets - Hong Kong and Taiwan are both fairly introverted," said Synovate managing director for Malaysia, Steve Murphy.

The firm's Philippines managing director, Carole Sarthou, cited the migratory nature of Filipinos. Overseas workers from the country like sharing their experiences, she said.

Read the rest at : http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/90571

I am more likely to chat with the person next to me if they speak Chinese, Japanese and English.

On my previous flights, I have chatted with mainland Chinese, Taiwanese, Hong Kongers, Malaysian of any kind, Koreans, Japanese, Indians, British, Australians, Americans, Germans, South Africans, and Canadians. It depends on the situation, sometimes I initiate the conversation and sometimes they started first.

depends on who sitting beside me , some very "warm" , and some very "cold" , and if they r "cold" , I will "cold" also :p

One thing I hate the most is when I smile to the person next to me, but what i get back is just a blank, emotionless reply. Like "something wrong somewhere dude?" even smiling can be too expensive nowadays.

I normally just stay quiet and if someone initiate a conversation, I will respond, but it also depends if the person is nice and I am comfortable with the conversation. Otherwise, I answer a question with one or two words only. :p

Extra bonus if the person is attractive..hahahaha

I chat. Sometimes I initiate the conversation, sometimes otherwise. I initiate based on my instinct and mood. When I'm pensive, I don't talk and thus I don't initiate conversations. Of course in the case others initiate, I would be glad to chat away. :) However, if my instinct tells me the person is not affable, I wouldn't initiate a conversation. Instinct is sometimes misleading, of course.

I chat on planes, in buses, in cabs, anywhere. Somehow, my g/f says I have penchant to chit-chat with cabbies... :p

like i mentioned earlier , depends on the mood of the person sitting besides me . Talking about this topic , it seems for a while since i had a good conversation with someone sitting next to me when i am travelling. The last time i remember was last year's chinese new year eve flight , the chinaman from china :p was a nice person , or maybe i was happy coz i was goin back for cny , so we had a nice conversation.

i also recalled one of the best seatmate i have met was a DJ for a chinese local stations , she was very friendly and talkative :D .

other than that , hardly talk or have a chit chat with person sitting beside me , maybe it is my problem also , never initiate the ice breaking ceremony , but i guess i has far too many failed attempt , some just " no respond" , well is their right not o respond :D

I certainly do initiate convos, but I am also v perceptive and will leave the other person alone if s/he doesn't look like they feel like talking.

Everytime I travel, normally I would give a friendly "Hello" to the person next to me. I do respect their privacy and I don't start any chat unless he start first. Most the time, I will get a quiet guy next to me in Economy, and normally get friendly one when I travel Business class.

If they start talk, I just carry on. It actually help me a lot when I first travel alone on long haul Trans-Pacific flight.

Azuddin

Sign in to follow this