MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
razlizam

Crossing The Channel The Jetman Way

On 25 September, one man will risk his life to attempt the impossible – to become the first man to cross the English Channel with only a single jet-propelled wing strapped to his back.

Swiss pilot Yves Rossy will be the first person in history to fly across the English Channel using a special wing. Known as FusionMan, Rossy will jump from a plane more than 3,000 metres above ground, fire up the jets on his wing and soar across the English Channel at speeds approaching 190 kilometres per hour. Rossy will trace the route of French aviator Louis Blériot who dared to be the first to cross the English Channel in an airplane 99 years earlier.

Broadcast live on National Geographic Channel, we will document Rossy’s flight from his take-off above Cap Blanc Nez, France, to his landing, approximately 15 minutes later across the English Channel in Dover, UK. Rossy’s flight will also be streamed live online.

To achieve this historic feat, Rossy must overcome significant challenges along the way. He has never flown for longer than 8 minutes, his wing weight and measurements must be incredibly precise – even the addition of cameras mounted on the wing to record his flight may affect how long he is able to stay in the air. So he is constantly fine-tuning the design. Weather patterns can also affect his flight’s success.

A helicopter with a Webcam mount will follow (slightly higher than he flies and off side) Rossy across the Channel to capture the dramatic aerial coverage.

Check this out:

http://jetmanlive.com/event

This is the REAL IRONMAN...

Felix Baumgartner became the first person to cross the English Channel from England to France using a specially made fibre wing(not powered) in 2003. He did it in 14 minutes. Hope that Yves could break that record with that jet-propelled wing. :clapping:

_39345371_base_jumper_inf416.gif

Here's the video:

*Felix Baumgartner did the illegal jump from the top of the Petronas towers in 1999.

:good:

Edited by MIR

Alright. From the short promo I saw on ngc - so fast that i couldn't manage to catch the time the show will be on the tele - I thought he's going to jump off the cliff in Dover to cross the channel to France. But from the pic posted by MIR, it's more like a sugar-glider glide to me, or like those base jumpers with the extended flaps underneath their arms and in between their legs aje.... If it's a jet-powered, why need to start 9km above sea level to fly? Not enough fuel for the small jetpack? Another Gimli Glider?

Anyway, cant wait to see his attempt. Anybody got the showtime (and the repeats) in Malaysia?

Alright. From the short promo I saw on ngc - so fast that i couldn't manage to catch the time the show will be on the tele - I thought he's going to jump off the cliff in Dover to cross the channel to France. But from the pic posted by MIR, it's more like a sugar-glider glide to me, or like those base jumpers with the extended flaps underneath their arms and in between their legs aje.... If it's a jet-powered, why need to start 9km above sea level to fly? Not enough fuel for the small jetpack? Another Gimli Glider?

Anyway, cant wait to see his attempt. Anybody got the showtime (and the repeats) in Malaysia?

Yusoff,

It will be aired on National Geographic Channel at 7:00 pm this coming Saturday 27th September. The programme name is Jetman Special.

Click here : > Jetman Special

"Jetman" makes history flying across English Channel

Posted 26 September 2008 @ 08:33 am EST

Yves Rossy, also known as "Jetman" or "Fusionman," landed successfully in England after crossing the English Channel using a single jet-propelled wing he invented.

Rossy jumped out of a plane in Calais, France to begin his jet powered flight across the channel at 2:06 p.m. local time to make history as the first person fly solo across the channel with a single wing.

"He's gotta feel on top of the world" said one of the anchors at National Geographic channel which broadcasted live the "Flight of the Jetman."

Rossy arrived at an English field 13 minutes later to conclude event. Press was waiting to interview him as many people also greeted him.

Rossy described how he felt.

"Great. Really great. Only one road thank you to all the people who did it with me, I give it to them because I am the only one who was flying but so many people were with me on that crossing so I want to say thank you."

After his adventurous flight, Rossy expressed his desire to share his dream come true with people

"Next is to continue this project because is a sign that there is a big potential to fligh like this," he said "I hope many people have the opportunity to fly like this...a little bit like a bird."

Read the full aticle of:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20080926/j...ish-channel.htm

This article is copyrighted by International Business Times.

Calais-Dover?... Change of direction? but the point is to cross the channel, right?... and he did it!!

Sign in to follow this