MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kee Hooi Yen

Fake Qantas Worker Guilty

From Sydney Morning Herald :

Fake Qantas worker guilty

Jonathan Dart

September 23, 2008 - 10:52AM

Australia's aviation watchdog says checking engineers' credentials would be an inefficient use of resources, following the conviction of a man who used fake documentation to dupe Qantas into giving him a job.

Timothy McCormack, 27, posed as a licensed aircraft engineer for almost nine months before being discovered in July 2007.

He performed 30 maintenance checks in that time, including one on a 747-438 jet with the registration number VH-OJM, the same plane forced to make an emergency landing in Bangkok in January due to a power failure.

McCormack changed his plea and yesterday admitted 42 charges at Sydney District Court.

Among the documents he admitted to falsifying were forged exam results for the Civil Aviation Safety Authority's aircraft maintenance engineer licence.

A CASA spokesman today said that, although the authority is responsible for issuing licences, it does not check them on a regular basis.

"We don't have any processes ourselves for checking engineers' licences, but we don't need to because it's incumbent upon the employer," he said.

"We issue the licences, but licensed engineers don't operate within a vacuum. They operate in an open environment, whether it be a big company like Qantas or small maintenance operation, and they're the ones with the knowledge of their workforce.

"It wouldn't be a sensible use of our resources to [check licences]. In 10 years I've never seen anything like this."

CASA was criticised last week in a Senate inquiry, which described its response to a recent spate of Qantas maintenance problems as "blase".

Comment has been sought from Qantas.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/09/23/1221935599578.html

:blink: :blink:

this is what I call Australia Boleh :rolleyes:

Here another article about QF shame o shame :angry:

From Sydney Morning Herald :

Fake Qantas worker guilty

Jonathan Dart

September 23, 2008 - 10:52AM

Australia's aviation watchdog says checking engineers' credentials would be an inefficient use of resources, following the conviction of a man who used fake documentation to dupe Qantas into giving him a job.

Timothy McCormack, 27, posed as a licensed aircraft engineer for almost nine months before being discovered in July 2007.

He performed 30 maintenance checks in that time, including one on a 747-438 jet with the registration number VH-OJM, the same plane forced to make an emergency landing in Bangkok in January due to a power failure.

McCormack changed his plea and yesterday admitted 42 charges at Sydney District Court.

Among the documents he admitted to falsifying were forged exam results for the Civil Aviation Safety Authority's aircraft maintenance engineer licence.

A CASA spokesman today said that, although the authority is responsible for issuing licences, it does not check them on a regular basis.

"We don't have any processes ourselves for checking engineers' licences, but we don't need to because it's incumbent upon the employer," he said.

"We issue the licences, but licensed engineers don't operate within a vacuum. They operate in an open environment, whether it be a big company like Qantas or small maintenance operation, and they're the ones with the knowledge of their workforce.

"It wouldn't be a sensible use of our resources to [check licences]. In 10 years I've never seen anything like this."

CASA was criticised last week in a Senate inquiry, which described its response to a recent spate of Qantas maintenance problems as "blase".

Comment has been sought from Qantas.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/09/23/1221935599578.html

:blink: :blink:

This make me remember about the Indian engineer.

When I was working in Hewlett packard, my team need urgently about 50 engineers and as a team lead, I need to look over their CV and do the 2nd level interview both local and oversea candidates.. They mailed to me on the certification - that can say each dude having 2 -3 certified certification. The phone interview is ok with all the question is answered properly.. When they came, on 2 or 3 out of 10 only really can do a jobs... The fundamental thingy also they cannot do. When i do a heart to heart talk with them, they said the certification exam was done by other person behalf of them and even on interview actually other person is talking behalf of them.. Aiyoooyoooo

I also experienced when do a phone interview - the voice overthere is small and soft, but when question is being asked, then voice totally change on answering the question. Hahahahaha... we already know that must be 2 or 3 person around him..

About this Qantas dude.. is he learning from the Indian IT engineer ?

Edited by E Faizal

and Qantas proudly pointing finger to anyone they want. SO not professional! In malay: Semua tak nak mengaku berak atas jalan. hahahaha in English: no one want to confess when themself s#1t on the street

Sign in to follow this