MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Ukraine - The birthland of great Soviet aircraft

KBP is an interesting airport, sporting both 'western' and 'eastern' aircraft ;)

Most Yakovlev YAK-40's are now used as business-jets:

UKR06-10sep08006.jpg

UKR06-10sep08005.jpg

UKR06-10sep08004.jpg

Here the Antonov AN-24RV of AeroSvit/Lugansk Airlines at DNK after arrival from KBP:

UKR06-10sep08096.jpg

Next day, an early return from OZH back to KBP was made on this Antonov AN-140 (very similar to ATR42):

UKR06-10sep08098.jpg

At LWO this Ukraine West (formerly Lviv Airlines) Ilyushin IL-18D was seen (still in active service, I was told):

UKR06-10sep08117.jpg

More to follow, including some images of the Zhulyani Museum @ Kiyv... :pardon:

Nice shots Pieter! Have always been intrigued of Soviet planes and have only flown the IL-62M once. Loved the loud noise :)

WoooioW~!!! colourfulL traffic beautiFuL Russian. Thank for Sharing Pieter :good:

oh my pieter! lots of soviet's goodies!!! :)

Edited by Edwin Yii

Thanks, guys, glad to hear you enjoy it sofar :pardon:

Photobucket is extremely slow lately, and allow me only to upload 3 pictures in 1 hour :angry:

I'll do my best to present you all with the most interesting aircraft on display at Kiyv's Zhulyani Museum !!!

Mil used to produce very large helicopters, as shown here by the MI-6 example; interesting to see the Soviet Red Star been overpainted by the Ukrainian roundel:

UKR06-10sep08022.jpg

Another fine exhibit is this early production (or prototype ?) Ilyushin IL-18, still displaying the old Aeroflot colours:

UKR06-10sep08053.jpg

Ever wondered how the captain's view would be in the Ilyushin IL-62 ? Here you go :pardon: :

UKR06-10sep08058.jpg

Antonov is an Ukrainian company (still based at Gostomel), and produced lot's of aircraft; here an Antonov AN-26 of the Ukrainian Air Force:

UKR06-10sep08038.jpg

The Soviet equivalent of the Convair 440, was the Ilyushin IL-14, here showing her "Polarnaya Aviatsiya" (Polar Aviation) livery:

UKR06-10sep08061.jpg

more to follow soon....

Very nice Uncle Pieter. Thanks for sharing. Man, it seems like you are a free guy travelling around, way to enjoy life.

Very nice Uncle Pieter. Thanks for sharing. Man, it seems like you are a free guy travelling around, way to enjoy life.

True, once my Vietnamese wife has settled in the Netherlands, these trips will be greatly reduced :sorry:

Let's continue at Zhulyani's Museum... :pardon:

Another 1st timer for me to see in real life is this Beriev BE-12 (engine-design is similar to IL-18):

UKR06-10sep08084.jpg

Russia's copy of the F-111 is this Sukhoi SU-24:

UKR06-10sep08036.jpg

My favorite- and highlight was this Tupolev TU-95 "Bear", just look at these engines :blink: :

UKR06-10sep08081.jpg

A modern version of the 95 is this Tupolev TU22M3, as shown here in Ukrainian Air Force 'livery':

UKR06-10sep08077.jpg

more to follow...

Uncle Pieter, the planes is on exhibition or it is still flying ? I am confuse because the first few shots were on the tarmac and the rest is on the grass

Uncle Pieter, the planes is on exhibition or it is still flying ? I am confuse because the first few shots were on the tarmac and the rest is on the grass

YAK40's taken at Kiyv-Borispyl

AN24 taken at Dnepropetrovsk

AN140 taken at Zaporozhye

IL18 taken at Lviv

rest at Museum at Kiyv-Zhulyani; hope this clarifies... :pardon:

Let's continue with the museum; some very rare aircraft are on display here:

Here you see (one of) the prototype(s) of the Tupolev TU-104, still with L-registration:

UKR06-10sep08045.jpg

Another first timer seen by me was this Yakovlev YAK-28:

UKR06-10sep08028.jpg

Copy of the English Harrier was this Yakovlev YAK-38:

UKR06-10sep08068.jpg

This Tupolev TU-134 (with TU22-nose !!!) was based at Poltava before being moved to this museum:

UKR06-10sep08078.jpg

Another copy of the US Sikorsky, is this Mil MI-4, still showing off her SSSR-registration:

UKR06-10sep08025.jpg

more to follow (if still interested)... :huh:

More please Uncle Pieter...

Great eastern block hardware there...

Thanks for sharing... (and if wife settle in Netherlands... take her along laaa...)

Wow!! Lots of private Yak-40 in Ukraine..They must be quite cheap over there. I never knew that the Yak-40 has a rear airstair before. The Beriev BE-12 looks like a copy of the Grumman HU-16 Albatross .

I like the TU-134 'Sturgeon' with the TU-22 nose :D and the well preserved Retro Tu-104 prototype. Any decommissioned 'Blackjack' or the Mi-10 skycrane helicopter on display ?

Thanks for sharing Uncle Pieter ! :drinks: :good:

Edited by MIR

Any decommissioned 'Blackjack' or the Mi-10 skycrane helicopter on display ?

Sorry, MIR, no Blackjack there as yet, as well as MI-10 helicopter (I know there is one wfu at Ostend/Belgium)...

Indeed, Cornelis, I was real lucky with the weather conditions during this visit: sunny and a pleasant 24-25 degrees :pardon:

Let's continue...

This Sukhoi SU-15 surely has the agressive looks of an interceptor:

UKR06-10sep08042.jpg

Years ago, Viktor Belenko defected in a similar MIG-25 to Japan; quite a 'beast' with enormous engines :blink: :

UKR06-10sep08027.jpg

Even bigger than the MI-6 is this MI-26, on display in United Nations 'colours':

UKR06-10sep08019.jpg

The prototype of the Russian Jumbojet (still with Le Bourget number 348) is also on display here (unfortunately not open for inside viewing):

UKR06-10sep08030.jpg

Another prototype is this Tupolev TU-134, in the old- and faded Aeroflot scheme:

UKR06-10sep08090.jpg

more to follow... :pardon:

Nice shot of UN's 'HALO', the biggest and most powerful transport helicopter in the world !! Her rotor blades looks quite heavy. The Tu-134 has a glass nose and seems that a small radome is under it ??!! Sad to see the 'Foxbat' :( , they should preserve her like the Su-15. She is as fast as the SR-71 Blackbird with a max. speed of Mach3.2+. Thanks again Uncle Pieter !! :drinks:

The Tu-134 has a glass nose and seems that a small radome is under it ??!!

As I said, this is the 134-prototype, hence the glass nose (as opposed to the TU134A)

The radome should be some sort of radar...

Let's finish with the Zhulyani Museum, before we continue with some Boryspil shots :pardon:

Cannot read Ukranian/Russian, so passed the sign and visited the dump, which housed this SU-7, MIG-25, 2x AN-2 and a fuselage of IL-28:

UKR06-10sep08048.jpg

Sporting the ARP410-factory colours, this YAK-40 is an early production model, hence the lack of the reverser on the center-engine:

UKR06-10sep08032.jpg

The Sukhoi SU-25 was used recently in the Georgian attacks too:

UKR06-10sep08065.jpg

Sad looking Antonov AN-2, with all the canvas 'eaten up':

UKR06-10sep08091.jpg

Outside the Museum at the active side of the airport, this Ministry of Emergency Situations Antonov AN-74 was parked:

Ukraine2008001.jpg

more to follow (Boryspil Airport)...