MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Andrew David

CAE Aviation Training Centre Kuala Lumpur Rec's New Simulator

CAE KL receives another A320 full flight simulator

CAE Simulator Services Kuala Lumpur has received its latest addition to its A320 fleet of ' simulators ' .

The simulator , previously used by Silk Air in Singapore arrived at the Air Asia Academy , KLIA , on Friday , 19th September , 2008 .

The simulator was manufactured by BAE Reflectone , which was ordered way back in 1997 , and delivered to Asia Pacific Training and Simulations in Singapore , in mid 1999 .

It was operated in Singapore and was decommissioned last month , after it was replaced by CAE's latest simulator , the 5000 series .

cae5000ai2.jpg

CAE 5000 Series Full Flight Simulator

The Reflectone simulator will be the first of three simulators that CAE Kuala Lumpur is expecting this year , along with a 5000 series A320 full flight simulator expected to arrive in Kuala Lumpur from New York by sea , in some three weeks or so and a 7000 series A330 full flight simulator which is expected to arrive , late November , 2008 .

The Reflectone simulator was brought to KL by road and is being assembled by Quadrant Simulation Systems , from the UK .

Below are some photo's of the progress so far since Friday .

DSC00475mw.jpg

Everything is packed up in crates and shipped here

DSC00476mw.jpg

The progress so far , the simulator has been taken off the aircraft jacks and is sitting on its own jacks , the draw bridge is in the process of being aligned and installed , it is still supported by the overhead crane . None of the exterior panels have been fitted yet , and it looks somewhat boxy and simple from the outside , and you can see the cockpit ' windows ' . This will all be covered by exterior panels which will make this sim look much more presentable with smoother lines and rounded edges :)

DSC00477mw.jpg

Closer inspection of the simulator , without its exterior panels

DSC00478mw.jpg

Clear sign of who made it

DSC00479mw.jpg

Miles and miles of cables dangling out from below

DSC00480mw.jpg

The aircraft jacks and the hoist , used to support the sim and carry the legs

DSC00482mw.jpg

Lots and lots of stuff to be installed

DSC00487mw.jpg

The simulator , with the drawbridge , being supported by the overhead crane

DSC00490mw.jpg

Cabinets and cabinets of computing power , necessary to run this simulator .

DSC00491mw.jpg

more and more cables

DSC00492mw.jpg

Lots of stuff here and there , which will eventually lead to the computer room .

DSC00493mw.jpg

A sign of whats to come .

the end product will be this beautiful machine .

imgp4655caeyw3.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates

Cheers

Just a quick question, how much is this second hand 5000 series cost? And the second 5000 series that is coming, is it brand new? How much is it then? Also the 7000 series for the A330??

I wish I could be inside there flying on simulator... I wish AirAsia could do open day on weekend for public on certain time.. Pay and Play :)

Anyway Gavin.. what kind of computer system they used to run this simulator? Interesting indeed...

Just a quick question, how much is this second hand 5000 series cost? And the second 5000 series that is coming, is it brand new? How much is it then? Also the 7000 series for the A330??

In the pictures by Gavin, it is the A320 Reflectone sim (the one with the big A320 writing at the side). The simulator was manufactured in 1999. Both the 5000 (A320) and 7000 (A330) series gonna be brand new. Each simulator will cost around plus minus 15,000,000 CAD (45,000,000 MYR) ..... :drinks:

Edited by Shahrean Z.

I wish I could be inside there flying on simulator... I wish AirAsia could do open day on weekend for public on certain time.. Pay and Play :)

Anyway Gavin.. what kind of computer system they used to run this simulator? Interesting indeed...

Bro,

Most simulator the pre-2005 era is equip with no more than an average linux/win2000 server .. The reflectone used a VxWorks RTOS (with POSIX RT extension) and 604e RISC based processor .. sigh! (Modded WRT54G use the same OS, too bad mine is v7, can't mod) ..

But the development machine are usually on NT based machine .. Nothing impressive as computing are concern really .. Datacenter/Research center is where all the goodies are ..

p/s, QNX with UltraSPARC T2 would be yummy though ..

Bro,

Most simulator the pre-2005 era is equip with no more than an average linux/win2000 server .. The reflectone used a VxWorks RTOS (with POSIX RT extension) and 604e RISC based processor .. sigh! (Modded WRT54G use the same OS, too bad mine is v7, can't mod) ..

But the development machine are usually on NT based machine .. Nothing impressive as computing are concern really .. Datacenter/Research center is where all the goodies are ..

p/s, QNX with UltraSPARC T2 would be yummy though ..

Bro,

Thanks for the information.. I was read about it too before.. But, just like to confirm with the current second hand CAE either it is a LINUX based or IRIX based.. But never heard about Windows OS based... "giler" la if they choosing it as a platform... I was reading few years ago that computer system in A380 is running with 5 difference LINUX systems in their belly... Just wondering how the system will be online for this system...

Anyway just reading that RBA is looking for Senior Simulator Engineer in their Flight Operations Dept.

Any IT gigs interested?

Req by ROYAL BRUNEI Airlines. Licensed Aircraft Engr in Avionics or Technical Deg with 7yrs related exp. Min HND/ND in Electrical & Electronic Engr/Computing with 10yrs exp. Knowledge of Unix, C or FORTRAN. Skills in troubleshooting electrical,electronics, mechanical. Send full resume+certs+photo to: kulsarnjk@rba.com.bn by 29/9/08.

Ref no : 104791992528179

Edited by E Faizal

Hmm, i think i know who's that bloke is .. :p hehe ..

Bro Faizal, I think this simulator engineer/technician is not really an IT kinda line .. Its more towards mechanical/electronics field .. I wish i had your job though! Gotta do some research paper on IPv6 this semester, any tips ..?

One of my CAE colleagues has applied for that job I believe .

I think he has posted in this thread too .. hee hee ..

Ahhh... didn't noticed about the thread..

Hmm, i think i know who's that bloke is .. :p hehe ..

Bro Faizal, I think this simulator engineer/technician is not really an IT kinda line .. Its more towards mechanical/electronics field .. I wish i had your job though! Gotta do some research paper on IPv6 this semester, any tips ..?

I think on the requirement, yep it is for the IT guy too... UNIX is the operating system, C or FORTRAN is a programing language in UNIX... If you working on the OS & hardware based, you will play with electronic & electrical too.... I have worked with lots of servers that size is bigger than our wardrobe... to do the installation, maintenance and servicing, you will work with lots of electrical and electronic devices... That you will learn when u start dealing with the machine.

IPv6? What kind of tips? msg me bro.. tarak hal...

Thanks for the pics bro! Definitely something new for me. I always thought they came as a whole, and lifted by crane. Turn out have to be assembled parts by parts! :drinks:

Sign in to follow this