MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
E Faizal

Inikah Malaysia Airlines?

I just read this from our journalist TV3 journalist blog...

Feel shame it is happen for National Carrier.

His blog

{ Penumpang kecoh, MAS membisu ]

Penerbangan Malaysia Airlines System, MAS MH 1397 dari Kota Bharu, Kelantan ke Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuala Lumpur, KLIA pada 15 September dijadualkan pada jam 4.50 petang.

“Delayed?,” soal Fred, warga Switzerland duduk di sebelah gadis Vietnam, teman wanitanya.

Ketika itu jam di tangan menunjukkan hampir jam 6 petang. Fred barangkali hairan kerana tiada sebarang pengumuman dibuat kakitangan MAS bertugas berhubung kelewatan penerbangan petang itu.

“Let me check,” balas saya.

Kaunter di tingkat satu berhampiran pintu masuk ke pesawat dikerumuni penumpang, warga tempatan dan asing. Semua memegang boarding pass dan mengajukan pelbagai soalan kepada kakitangan MAS kelihatan sibuk bercakap di telefon. Sebahagian penumpang ternyata bimbang terlepas connecting flight pulang ke negara asal.

“Apa pun, buat la announcement, pakai mikrofon tu. Dah lebih sejam flight delay ni. Kita nak tau apa jadi,” ujar lelaki tempatan.

Atas desakan, tersekat-sekat pengumuman dibuat kakitangan bertugas. Jelas, penerbangan ditunda ke jam 8 malam. Terpinga-pinga penumpang warga asing tidak memahami pengumuman hanya dibuat dalam Bahasa Melayu itu.

“Sila ke kaunter tiket di bawah untuk mendapatkan boarding pass, dan dapatkan baucer KFC”

Di hadapan kaunter pertengkaran terjadi berikutan beberapa penumpang meluahkan ketidakpuasan hati berhubung layanan diterima.

“Profesional la sikit. Kalau flight delay, announce awal. Jadi kita boleh tengok alternatif lain, balik ke, naik flight esok ke,” teriak penumpang.

Berdiri berhampiran, kakitangan MAS mula meninggikan suara. Saya menjangka dia tertekan akibat pelbagai soalan dilontarkan penumpang. Kakitangan itu berang dan terus bertikam lidah bersama pelanggannya.

“Apa hal ni? Nak marah, menjerit,” saya mencelah.

“Ya lah dia pun tinggi suara, awak pun sama,” balasnya.

Tidak disangka saya turut menjadi ‘mangsa’ barannya. Melihat ‘latah’ kakitangan MAS terbabit mula memasang kuda-kuda, spontan saya mengajak penumpang lain bertepuk tangan.

“Takutnya .. Best! Best! Inilah sikap kakitangan syarikat national carrier,” ujar saya.

Dia berundur dan kemudian mendiamkan diri, kembali ke kaunter.

“Ada tupai penumpang bawa terlepas dalam kapalterbang kat bahagian kargo. Pilot tak berani nak terbang, safety prosedure,” terdengar bisikan kakitangan lain di kaunter.

Ha? Tupai?

Hemat saya, jika benar dakwaan itu penumpang tidak perlu tahu. Cukup sekiranya mereka dimaklumkan lebih awal, pesawat mengalami masalah teknikal. Bukan mengambil keputusan membisu.

Di lantai bawah, jam 7.14 malam penumpang sibuk mendapatkan boarding pass ketika umat Islam lain berbuka puasa. Beratur panjang mengejar masa, baucer KFC tidak berguna. Penumpang berbuka sekadar meneguk air mineral dan makan buah tamar dibeli di kedai berhampiran kaunter tiket.

Jam 8 malam majoriti penumpang kemudian diarah menaiki penerbangan gantian, MH 1405 ke KLIA manakala sebahagian lagi terpaksa menunggu penerbangan berikutnya pada jam 10 malam.

“Dia orang ni ada banyak manual, manual penerbangan, manual prosedur kecemasan tetapi tak ada manual menangani masalah bila penerbangan delay,” keluh penumpang berdiri bersama anak dan isteri.

Ini bukan kali pertama, bisik hati.

Saya tiba di KLIA pada jam 9.30 malam dan terus ke tempat pengambilan bagasi. Satu lagi berita buruk dimaklumkan kakitangan MAS di lokasi terbabit.

“Beg semua dah keluar. Ada 10 beg hilang. Berita kami terima, beg tu ada dalam kapal touch down jam 11.45 malam. Encik nak tunggu ke atau nak buat repot hilang?”

“Saya tunggu”

Di sudut berhampiran, lelaki berusia warga Jepun gelisah, marah.

“I have all my documents in that bag. I have asked the MAS staff in Kota Bharu to double check to ensure my bag will arrive here. They promised it’s going to be ok. But it’s not! You people are wasting my time”

Jam 12 malam saya melangkah keluar dari pintu ketibaan KLIA, penat.

Terfikir, inikah MALAYSIA Airlines System?

english please :rolleyes:

Passengers flustered, MAS silent

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH 1397 from Kota Bharu, Kelantan to Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) on the 15th September was scheduled for 4.50pm in the evening.

"Delayed?" asks Fred, a Swiss sitting next to his Vietnamese girlfriend.

At that time the clock was showing close to 6pm. Fred is intrigued as there hasn't been an announcement made by the MAS personnel on duty regarding the delay of that evening flight.

"Let me check", I reply.

The counter at the 1st level near the departure gate was full of passengers, local and foreign. All were holding boarding passes and asking all sorts of questions to MAS staff who were busy speaking on the telephone. A few passengers were clearly upset as they had missed their connecting flights to their home countries.

"Even then, make an announcement. Use that microphone. It's over an hour already, this delay. We want to know what's happened", says a local man.

Under pressure, a few reluctant announcements were made by the staff on duty. It was clear that the flight was delayed to 8pm. Confused, foreign passengers clearly did not understand the announcement that was made in Bahasa Melayu.

"Please go to the counter downstairs to get your boarding passes, and also KFC vouchers."

In front of the counter, a fight broke out as a few passengers vented their frustration and dissatisfaction regarding the service that they had received.

"Be a bit professional. If the flight is delayed, announce it a little earlier. So that we may look at alternatives, go home, or take another flight tomorrow", screamed a passenger.

Standing nearby, MAS personnel began to raise their voices. I suspect he may be under pressure due to the questions being thrown at him by passengers. That man became enraged and began to trade barbs with that passenger.

"What's the problem here? Wanting to get angry, shouting", I interject.

"Yeah he's raising his voice, and so are you", he replies.

Unexpectedly, I too become a "victim" of his rage. Seeing the actions of MAS personnel fixing "show-horses", I spontaneously ask the other passengers to begin clapping.

"Frightening..best best! This is the attitude of the staff of our national carrier," I say.

He retreats and then shuts up, resuming his post behind the counter.

"There was a squirrel that got loose in the plane in the cargo section. The pilot didn't dare fly, safety procedure", whispers I hear behind the counter.

What? A squirrel?

In my mind, if that was true the passengers need not know. It would have been enough if they had announced earlier, the plane having a technical problem. Not take the decision to remain silent.

At the ground floor, 7.14pm passengers were busy getting their boarding passes while the Muslims broke fast. Queuing up chasing time, the KFC voucher unused. Passengers broke fast by drinking mineral water and buah tamar bought at a shop near the ticket counter.

At 8pm the majority of passengers were ordered on the replacement flight, MH 1405 to KLIA while a few were forced to wait for the next flight at 10pm.

"These people have a lot of manuals, flight manuals, emergency procedure manuals but no manuals on how to handle a flight delay", comments a passenger standing with his wife and child.

This is not the first time, I know in my heart.

I arrive at KLIA at 9.30pm and head straight to baggage claim. More bad news was conveyed by MAS staff at that beleaguered location.

"All the bags have come out. 10 bags are missing. From the news we've received, those bags are on the flight that will touch down at 11.45pm. Do you wish to wait or report it as being lost?"

"I'll wait".

In a nearby corner, stood an old Japanese man, nervous and angry.

“I have all my documents in that bag. I have asked the MAS staff in Kota Bharu to double check to ensure my bag will arrive here. They promised it’s going to be ok. But it’s not! You people are wasting my time”.

At midnight I step out of the arrival hall at KLIA, exhausted.

I think to myself, is this Malaysia Airlines System?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all respects, the staff did achieve their basic objective, that was a safe,clean and reliable flight (the next two were off flawlessly). However, it was the manner of how they handled the situation and not informing the passengers of the delay.

I think the staff at MAS need to read this book:

Moments of Truth by Jan Carlzon

It really is a lesson in customer service, and it's and aviation example to boot!

Edited by Leong Chuo Sheng

Sigh... I have always maintained that MAS is a fantastic airline but always seriously let down by lacklustre ground staff with tidak-apa attitude. Sometimes the way the "drag their feet" to their stations wearing the kebaya around KLIA is really very embarrassing for the company.

haiz..

btw...chuo sheng u translated every word by yourself? well done man.

Hi Wilber! Yes I managed to translate the article. I felt that I needed to brush up my BM after so long :p Thanks anyway :)

Edited by Leong Chuo Sheng

MAS was used to be known as MALAYSIAN AIRLINES SYSTEM.

Then, in 1987 it was changed to just MALAYSIA AIRLINES.

Why do you think they removed the word SYSTEM?

correct, bcoz - MANA ADA SISTEM? (WHERE GOT SYSTEM?)

Edited by Jerry Ang

I believe this is just one of the many case reported, since they're in the right media.

I've met some even worst case... Where they do not allow us to approach... NO GROUNDCREW to ask....

Mana Ada System MAH....

MAS was used to be known as MALAYSIAN AIRLINES SYSTEM.

Then, in 1987 it was changed to just MALAYSIA AIRLINES.

Why do you think they removed the word SYSTEM?

correct, bcoz - MANA ADA SISTEM? (WHERE GOT SYSTEM?)

Betui sekali Jerry.. back then it will be called MAS, but why when its Malaysia Airlines, its not MA but MH instead? funny

It happens anywhere.

I've been experiencing this last year in LGK. However it really depends on us, the passenger. If we over reacted, then they also will over reacted.

Kalau nak tanya pun, tanya elok2. Kalau 10 orang tanya cara kasar, memang la mamat ground staff tu meletup.

Hi Wilber! Yes I managed to translate the article. I felt that I needed to brush up my BM after so long :p Thanks anyway :)

Huhuhuu.. thanks Leong.. I was about to translate the article slowly...(snail even faster)... superb translate :)

It happens anywhere.

I've been experiencing this last year in LGK. However it really depends on us, the passenger. If we over reacted, then they also will over reacted.

Kalau nak tanya pun, tanya elok2. Kalau 10 orang tanya cara kasar, memang la mamat ground staff tu meletup.

Agree on that, but, someone has to get things organized professionally. Someone has to be responsible.

Don't expect the passengers to hold responsibility - bcoz they're customers!

The checkin crew MUST be responsible as a mediator btwn passengers and airline. When the airline has some technical problem, it is their responsible to update the passengers with the latest status. Not just keeping silent and hoping passengers to be patient.

At least by giving some updates, it wouldn't disappoint the customers as much as just keeping quiet.

p/s: iggy, I hope i don't get into trouble by making these statements! :p

This is indeed sad.

A simple problem really. Its about keeping customers updated. Basic communication.

If it was my watch, this incident will only happen once. It will never happen again coz such personnel will not be under my watch no more.

According to Mazidul:

Petang 17 September, saya dihubungi bos Malaysian Airport Berhad, Encik Azmi Murad. Menurut beliau kejadian itu akan disiasat.

Terima kasih Encik Azmi kerana meluangkan masa menonton Malaysia Hari Ini pada 18 September lalu.

I not understand here..Why should MAB management need to investigate this issue??its not their fault which causes the delay or the microphone not working on that day..

Why MAS management keep silent on this issue??A this kind of issue too common for them and they face it everyday..

The only thing make me feel shame and angry when I read this issue is about missing luggage..The worst thing happen to the Japanese tourists and even if it happen to our local passenger they get angry with what had happen..I believe they know amount of luggage per passenger checked in, because from each of our luggage tag itself stated how much our luggage we check in and total weight of our luggage..So unprofessional to deliver task during this chaos situation... Every people make mistake but do it in proper way please..

I personally like this bit - maybe we should do it often to get somewhere when things are not moving.

Tidak disangka saya turut menjadi ‘mangsa’ barannya. Melihat ‘latah’ kakitangan MAS terbabit mula memasang kuda-kuda, spontan saya mengajak penumpang lain bertepuk tangan.

“Takutnya .. Best! Best! Inilah sikap kakitangan syarikat national carrier,” ujar saya.

Dia berundur dan kemudian mendiamkan diri, kembali ke kaunter.

Besides the blog, I happened to watch him telling the same story live on Malaysia Hari Ini. I blame the interviewer with ' kesian@pity' attitude who picked up those 'talents'. Sometimes it takes more then training. You send them for 100 training courses also won't make any difference because they don't have passion in their work.

Besides the blog, I happened to watch him telling the same story live on Malaysia Hari Ini. I blame the interviewer with ' kesian@pity' attitude who picked up those 'talents'. Sometimes it takes more then training. You send them for 100 training courses also won't make any difference because they don't have passion in their work.

Same thing with other GLCs....they say Kabel Tiada, Maaf Banyak...or...Mesti Ada Saudara :rolleyes:

..... Every people make mistake but do it in proper way please..

There is no "proper way" to perform a mistake ! :)

If we realize it's a mistake, don't do it, period ;)

But it's only human nature for us to try cover up for our mistakes. It is here, where the required skill and tact may be lacking, and compounded by personal pride, that errors tend to snowball from triviality to major issues very rapidly :)

Edited by BC Tam

I wonder if it is because the front-liners were not empowered to make certain decisions, such as making initial announcements to pacify pax.

I've faced a similar incident before from KUL-SIN, when MH's airbus went tech - they knew the aircraft was not going anywhere some 20 minutes before departure and cargo was being offloaded. But, it took the groudn staff some 30 minutes AFTER scheduled departure time before making any announcements. By then, quite a number of irate pax have vented their anger/ frustration at a few of the MH staff. In fact, even before the announcement by MH staff, a pax even wanted access to the mic to announce the cancellation of the flight to fellow pax. That was how ineffective the groundstaff were.

Most pax were put on the next MH flight out. However, I noted that a not insignificant number of F pax (this was before F disappeared on that route earlier this yr) were just fed-up with MH that they switched to SQ, even though the SQ flight was scheduled to leave some 15 minutes after the MH flight that most pax were rebooked on.

Sign in to follow this