MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alan B.

MASwings DHC-6 crash at Ba'kelalan

I flew MDN a few year back. This is the aircraft at Mukah. It's the one on the right.

DSCF0197.jpg

This inside.

DSCF0247.jpg

Looking into the cockpit.

DSCF0251.jpg

Look the pilot still use printed navigation chart..hehehehe.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you look carefully, that is original chart . Not self printed as it is not legal to be used on real flights. Even in the sim we use real world chart.

BTW, Zainal Abidin onboard. What was the occasion Alan?

BTW, Zainal Abidin onboard. What was the occasion Alan?

We had a show in Mukah for DiGi. It was so much fun.

Me got no friend on that flight. Loke, are you doing the ATR conversion?(if I got the right person :huh: )

ya, i was finish ATR conversion, ATR will start to operation 18th, :yahoo:

Bekalalan is also the scene of helicopter (hornbill) mishaps few years ago carrying some politicians.

Btw, anyone here working for Maswings? PM me can? :drinks:

Flew on one last time BKI-MIRI. Very short take off and landing. While flying can feel the plane moving sideways. Really fun.

From The Borneo Post

MASWings Twin Otter crashes in Ba Kelalan rice field

By Philip Kiew & Mohd Abdullah

Ba Kelalan: One of MASWings’ DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft crash-landed on a rice field here yesterday morning.

The incident at 9.35am left the Malaysian pilot, co-pilot and 12 passengers of flight MH 3540 from Lawas shaken.

The pilot was reported to be slightly injured.

Among those on board were Australians, Bruneians and local Lun Bawangs including Tagal Paran, the father of the late Datuk Dr Judson Sakai Tagal who was killed with six others in a helicopter crash near the foot of Mt Murud on July 12, 2005.

His other son, Mutang Tagal, a former MP of Bukit Mas, when contacted confirmed that his father was on board and was grateful to God that a tragedy has been averted.

Ba Kelalan assemblyman Nelson Balang Rining who visited the Department of Civil Aviation’s control tower in Lawas shortly after the incident, said the aircraft landed in the field, about 10 metres off the mid-section of the runway.

According to reliable sources, the aircraft flew too low as it made a turning approach to the runway, passing through the valley at Long Langgai, and landed short of the threshold level marker RWY 23.

It is not immediately known if one of the landing gears hit the perimeter fence but the descending aircraft barrelled down left and grinded to a halt in the soft field, miraculously missing the terminal building on the left at Buduk Nur.

The short take-off and landing (STOLport) airstrip is flanked by rice fields, apple farm and the terminal building on the left.

On the right are buildings of Kampung Buduk Nur.

Beyond the furthest end are hills and a stream.

The approach and landing is through the only opening at the end nearest the terminal building.

The cause of the incident is not immediately known and it is still under investigation by the Department of Civil Aviation, MAB and MASwings.

According to the locals, the weather was fine and the pilot knows the terrain and the airstrip.

Everyone scrambled out of the aircraft in a daze but was happy to be alive as shocked residents of Buduk Nur shook their heads at the near-miss.

Ba Kelalan assemblyman Nelson Balang Rining said the incident was unexpected as the weather was fine but was thankful that everyone was safe and sound.

“MASwings said it would be sending a rescue aircraft with engineers this afternoon as the runway is not closed,” he said when contacted by telephone.

Managing director of MASwings, Dr Amin Khan, said there were no casualties, and MASwings’ general manager in Miri, Wan Abdul Rahim Ishak, confirmed that the incident did occur.

He said a rescue team of three engineers from MASwings was leaving Miri for Ba Kelalan at 2.45pm to get an overall picture of the incident.

All passengers on the affected flight from Ba Kelalan via Lawas will board the rescue team’s flight back to Miri, he said.

The engineers will check if the aircraft had any fault or damage, he said, adding that the extent of damage to the aircraft was not immediately known.

Wan also reported that there was no casualty, and that both pilots were Malaysians.

Malaysian Airport Bhd manager in Miri, Sunif Naiman, confirmed receiving a report on the incident, and said investigations by the Department of Civil Aviation were underway.

http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=41408

Edited by rayner

Look like the Twin Otter hit something where..Any idea what it is??

looks like a fences up area with roof? looks bad :(

hopefully it's still repairable!! :good:

Well, I hope they can repair it !

It looks on the photo that the right main gear collapsed and the nose got some damage. It would take some time to repair but seems to be not "too substantial" to have it written off !

I flew "MGN" last year may 11 from Lawas to Miri (Miri-Lawas was "MDL")

It´s the first time in my life that an aircraft i´ve flown had a "crash" later ...

If you look carefully, that is original chart . Not self printed as it is not legal to be used on real flights. Even in the sim we use real world chart.

I like to see how the actual navigation chart look like..I never see any of navigation chart before..

ya, i was finish ATR conversion, ATR will start to operation 18th, :yahoo:

Taniah dan syabas.. :clapping: :clapping:

last time Dante give me is copied right? still remember ka?

Looks like it's hard to land at Bekalan airport. :blink:

Cauz the back there is a big mountain. :blink:

But how it crash crash to the rice field by the way? :blink:

But anyway, Thank god is alive for everyone. :drinks:

Wat's the penalty for the pilot? Serious?

I like to see how the actual navigation chart look like..I never see any of navigation chart before..

The 1 in the picture is airport chart. It looks like a small booklet. I'm not sure what kind of map the twin otter guys use for rural navigation but normal airliner use airways chart, this 1 is different from airport chart. It's big and fold according to the flight progress.

last time Dante give me is copied right? still remember ka?

Yes, that was a copy.

Well, I hope they can repair it !

It looks on the photo that the right main gear collapsed and the nose got some damage. It would take some time to repair but seems to be not "too substantial" to have it written off !

I flew "MGN" last year may 11 from Lawas to Miri (Miri-Lawas was "MDL")

It´s the first time in my life that an aircraft i´ve flown had a "crash" later ...

'MGN' ? I dont think any of MASwings DHC6 with that registration. MG... is for F50

9M-MDN

Really saddened to see her go :(

Flew on her in 2003 BKI-KUD-SDK...

Don't worry lah, if MH makes all the effort to rehab the damaged F50 at SBW (going to be replaced with ATR72), why not this Otter (still required for forseeable future) ?

going O/T here - the Dutch aircraft engineer found dead in a KL hotel, was he in any way related to the F50 repair task ?

Anyone got info ?

Years of operations into 'unsuitable' areas in challenging terrain under frequently inclement weather and just this crash to speak of. The last one, involving a BN2, took place in the early 80s. Fuel contamination I believe was one of the contributary factor.

Not Bad RAS, not bad at all. Keep it up.

'MGN' ? I dont think any of MASwings DHC6 with that registration. MG... is for F50

Sorry, i meant MDN of course !!!

Just some update:

美里)於9月13日早上遭雙獺型小型飛機撞毀住家及稻田的峇加拉蘭居民,週四(18日)下午向警方報案,要求飛翼航空公司作出賠償。

71歲的事主峇郎巴蘭週四下午1時40分到美里中央警局報案,指其屋子及稻田被撞毀,保守估計蒙受15萬令吉的財物損失。

他在受詢時表示,這間被撞毀的屋子是他們多年的舊家,較後改建成儲藏室,主要是用來存放生產的稻米及農作物。

峇郎巴蘭舉家是搬到附近另一間屋子居住。

稻米被油漬沾污

他說,早前這架飛機滑出機場跑道後,緊急降落而撞毀其屋子,導致屋瓦、鋅片、家具、日常用品及稻田毀壞,蒙受損失。

峇郎巴蘭稱,他的稻田面積逾一英畝,已接近收成階段,但稻谷如今已無法售賣。

他表示,這主要因為稻米已被油漬或化學物沾污,不宜食用。

“除了屋子被飛機撞毀外,我的稻田也受到影響,土地也必須重新施肥及填土才能耕種,否則將影響稻米收成。”

他指出,有關當局也已經答應作出合理的賠償。

另一方面,飛翼航空公司表明願意對受影響的屋主作出賠償,唯賠償數目須合理。

星洲日報‧2008.09.18

Sorry my english isn't good. Basically the news is about the owner of the house that the twin otter crashed into, asking compensation of RM150,000. Due to the fact that the fuel of the plane spilled over their paddy and crops stored inside the house. And also their paddy field was also affected, thus unsuitable for plantation over long time.

RM150,000 is a lot...

Just some update:

Sorry my english isn't good. Basically the news is about the owner of the house that the twin otter crashed into, asking compensation of RM150,000. Due to the fact that the fuel of the plane spilled over their paddy and crops stored inside the house. And also their paddy field was also affected, thus unsuitable for plantation over long time.

RM150,000 is a lot...

RM150k may be a lot to you and me but is chicken feed to the airline. The airline should be grateful that it is not facing several law suits from pax and folks on the ground. In the bigger scheme of things, RM150k is cheap if the airline does not admit any liability and the house-owner does not go after the airline armed with lawyers & media.

Sign in to follow this