MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alan B.

MASwings DHC-6 crash at Ba'kelalan

just reported by Bernama

14 Survive Crash As Light Plane Overshoots Runway

MIRI, Sept 13 (Bernama) -- A light passenger aircraft crashed after overshooting the runway while landing at the Ba'Kelalan airport, about 120 miles east of here, today but all 14 people on board are safe.

The DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft, belonging to Malaysia Airlines' subsidiary MASWings, crashed at the end of the runway at the short take-off and landing airport (STOLport) as it came in to land at 9.34 am, said Ba'Kelalan State Assemblyman Nelson Balang Rining who was briefed by officers of the Lawas Department of Civil Aviation.

The pilot, co-pilot and all 12 passengers were unhurt in the incident, which badly damaged the aircraft, he said when contacted by Bernama.

Nelson, who is now in Lawas, said the weather was "considerably fine" when the aircraft took off from Lawas STOLport at 8.45 am.

In KUCHING, MASWings managing director Dr Amin Khan, when contacted by Bernama, said the aircraft, on a Miri-Lawas-Ba'Kelalan flight, skidded about 10 metres from the runway.

Twin Otter, i used to sit from Sibu-Mukah last time. Littly tiny cute aircraft with 2 mini fans inside only. No aircon. haha

Aww..luckily all of them safe..

Edited by David Wong

no worries, memerang kembar very robust, not easy to kong, except there was once mas twin otter kena scrap due to beyong economical repair, was to supposed to have 6 but now 5, hahaha.

First good to hear all safe include pilots and paseengers, any animal as cargo during that flight?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I believe it difficult to us to get any picture of this accident plane because Ba'kelalan is really interior of Borneo..And I no idea how MASwings engineer to fix/repair this Twin Otter..If this plane need tp write off mean Ba'kelalan Airport will have a statue.. hehehe..

It a call sign for MASwings to replace this Twin Otter..Actually this DHC-6 need to be replace first instead the Fokker 50 when we talk about age of the plane..But they purchase during that time may be to get bit cheapest price tag I believe..

Wondering if it was a pilot error... :unsure:

Don't count on it. There are many other reason in this world you should think of first.

Anyway it is not really a crash, more like a runway overshoot. And the merang kembar is one tough aircraft. BTW, where is exactly Ba'Kelalan?

good to hear that everyone pasanger and crew is safe , i was thinking about the worst when u saw the title of this thread .

....BTW, where is exactly Ba'Kelalan?

that's my question too. :D

btw, luckily all safe. Khaled, is your friend on that flight?

bekalalan is somewhere north of sarawak around nearby miri, heard it will be written off due to badly damage, it was reported lost engine power during final and swift to the right

SO SAD!! I havent had the chance to fly in one...will try to catch a Memerang Kembar soon...

Here is the route map of Twin Otter...hope it gives you a better idea where Bakelalan is. Its in the Highland...and there is an apple farm just next to the runway...Bakelalan Apples...

route_otter.gif

Ouch! Definitely a write-off for me. :blink: :blink: :blink:

From Wikipedia it seems Twin Otters' manufacturing line has been restarted (by another company). Maybe they should replacwe them with newer Twin Otters.

:o :o :o ..What happen to the Twin Otter...Shock me when I see the picture..Thanks MIR for the picture..Where did you get the picture??

Look like the Twin Otter hit something where..Any idea what it is??

Look like the Twin Otter will rest in peace at Be'kalalan forever..

To Capt. Radzi and Mr. Samuel..Here is Be'kelalan,Southeast of Miri Town in Lawas Division administration and near with Kalimatan Indonesia international border..

2853856571_eb3fc4de42_b.jpg

Yup, it's the viking air, you can surf their website. Both props still intake and seems no twist or bend, yet no casualties, memerang kembar really robust.

Edited by Sung

Sign in to follow this